Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 8:53 am

I'm an Instructional Assistant in an Ex Ed classroom. Every afternoon the General Education art teacher visits our unit for giving instructions to our kids in art. Three assistants including myself circulate the room not just assisting with art but also to keep tabs on some of behavior challenged kids. This teacher routinely gets after me and another assistant as I don't always know how to do the daily project or she thinks I should sit at one of the tables. Can't do that. Can't take eyes off some of these kids as they wander the room.

Anyway yesterday I told her that I don't focus well on details when I have to keep eyes on our kids. Truthfully I don't like being treated like a student. She talks to us assistants like we are her students.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2017, 10:05 am

Well, aren't you sort of her students? Of course, some people are just annoying like that. She might just be that kind of person that thinks she knows best at all times. Or, maybe there really is a purpose for her treating the assistants like students. Maybe there's still things you all need to learn.
I haven't met her, so I can't tell.

I used to get really annoyed by people lecturing me or treating me as a kid(or student). But now I've learnt do differentiate between the ones that are just jerks, and the ones who are really just trying to be helpful.

My boss is the kind of person who thinks he knows best. Each time someone comes and ask me a question at work, even if I've already began to answer, he will jump in between and answer that question a little louder.
Or he starts lecturing me on how to do very simple things, no matter if I say that "I know how to build a box", he will keep on "teaching" me about it. That's just rude, and indicates self-entitlement. Worst thing about it is that he's actually really dumb, and I have to keep myself from explaining things to him all the time XD

My boyfriend is very welcome to lecture me, because he doesn't do it because he wants to feel superior. but because I really don't understand certain things. I can still get pissed about it, because I want to handle everything myself, but eventually I can see that he's just being helpful.
Like when he helped me fix the flat on my bike. I felt like I was being treated as a child, and didn't want his help. But now I'm really glad that he did it because he really is better than me at that stuff.
Or when he let me know that I shouldn't talk loudly about sex in the supermarket. At the time I was like "Don't tell me what to do!", but I realize now that some discussions are not meant for public places.

So, is that teacher really just trying to be nice? In that case, start welcoming the help she offers you.
And if she just has a superiority-issue, it's not the worst thing to just take it when you need to, and laugh it off later.
I don't like back-talking, but complaining about my boss to my co-worker is an exception. It's a lot of fun.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 12:40 pm

It's annoying AF. Instructional Assistants aren't students. We are paid employees and should not be spoken to in the same manner as the students.

Would you like me to show you how to do this?.... That would be the proper way for her.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 12:41 pm

P.S. Wasn't asking for advice. Just sharing.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2017, 7:00 am

Oops! Guess I came off as condescending then. That really wasn't my intention. I was just relating to the times when I've had difficulties knowing what's what regarding this problem.
I'm sorry.

Hope the teacher gets better.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 9:58 am

She is very condescending and unaware of how to treat the assistants she has use of during that time. You're right that some people are like that. They have power issues and love to order people around. It's not a reflection on me. It's her poor breeding.