Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2019, 2:00 pm

One job I applied to (not the Canada one lol) I sent additional application materials to (some videos of my teaching and samples of my work) and they already said they liked it. They are gathering resumes until tomorrow.

Anyway it's a permanent job, but copying directly from the position description

"Hours and Compensation
Full-time (exempt) position. Compensation DOE plus excellent benefits and paid time off."

I read on a website exempt positions could be a disadvantage because it means you are exempt from overtime laws. But an exempt position is a salaried position by definition that pays at minimum 23,600 a year and even at that rate that would be a big improvement over what we get now from SSI.

Another site cautioned against DOE positions because they could always short change you a bit. I have a feeling that I could be on the low end of the scale too because I actually fall short of the amount of experience they are looking for... Though this job is specifically about birds of prey and I had two birds of prey jobs in the past and one of those jobs was with the same organization! I worked for them back in 2006... I wonder how much that will influence things...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2019, 2:08 pm

Assuming that "DOE" means "Depends On Experience", this is common among employers. It benefits them because they can low-ball your salary if you're fresh out of college, if you've worked mostly internships, or you've worked mostly part-time jobs. It may benefits you if you've put 10+ years in the same career.

Of course, the employer is still likely to low-ball your pay, but that's what all employers do.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2019, 9:26 pm

That's encouraging, Angnix!

Even at that minimum pay range, it seems this job would help you. There will have to be a discussion about your husband's care (another thread - doctor says he should not be left alone).

Don't let your husband's doctor discourage you from completing this application process. Decisions can always be made later. But don't withdraw your application before it's even considered. Good luck!

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2019, 9:58 pm

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good, I'd say. Being in employment that suits your expertise and temperament is definitely worth a few compromises in other areas, in my opinion. It sounds as if the minimum salary would make you more financially secure than now. If you ended up with no choice than to take a job incompatible with your temperament or traits, how much additional salary would compensate you for that?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2019, 8:00 pm

Where is this job located?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2019, 8:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Where is this job located?

Too freaking far away from here... (Salt Lake City)

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2019, 8:10 pm

It's really a nice, scenic environment in Salt Lake City. And it's really not like the rest of Utah; it's actually a "liberal" area.

The problem: pollution. Salt Lake City is in a valley, and the valley traps pollutants. If there's not enough air circulation, there tends to be an "unhealthy" amount of pollution.

Would your husband be willing to move there?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2019, 12:36 pm

Indeed the issue of my husband makes this hard..... But of course I haven't even been contacted for an interview yet...

Anyway for some reason I bought a new raptor ebook and already read the entire thing... I've read several raptor books and the new one was great of course... I just accumulate this knowledge and no way to spit it back out again... When I had the jobs in the past where I taught people about birds it made me really happy!! !

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2019, 2:04 pm

Happiness is nothing to sneeze at!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2019, 4:04 pm

As spring approaches, I encourage you to join your local birder's group (Audubon chapter or the life), just to keep a hand in your field, even if you do have a part-time job. It's something that will look good on a resume, especially to show continuity of interest. And it would probably be fun.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2019, 9:48 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
As spring approaches, I encourage you to join your local birder's group (Audubon chapter or the life), just to keep a hand in your field, even if you do have a part-time job. It's something that will look good on a resume, especially to show continuity of interest. And it would probably be fun.

The local birders in this county have a FB group page I belong to I monitor but here they rarely gather together.... Most of the time they post pictures of birds in their yard lol

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 4:10 pm

Sigh... They sent me an email saying they had over 80 applications for the job and I wasn't picked to be interviewed...

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 5:47 pm

Oh, well. It never pays to pin all your hopes on one position.