Lucrative Work For Those With An Aspie-type Temperament

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 6:26 pm

Currently I work full-time as a factoryhand with my main responsibility being assembling wheelbarrows. The job suits me pretty well, but being relatively low-paid (understandably since this is my first job and required no qualifications), and without much room for upward mobility, I think it would be smart to start examining other career paths for the future that will be more lucrative.

My preferences for a job are as follows:
- Indoors
- Working with things more so than people
- Relatively unrestricted with what I can do with my appearance
- Higher focus on exertion of my brain rather than my body

My most notable strengths are:
- Attention to detail
- Ability to analyse
- Problem-solving
- Pattern Recognition

With these traits and preferences in mind, do you know of any relatively lucrative jobs and industries that will align with the bulk of my inclinations? Better yet, have you got any experience working in such industries or positions? Thanks in advance

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 6:38 pm

Have you gone to University?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 6:41 pm

Engineering jobs are lucrative but almost always require a four year degree.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 8:02 pm

At least. And it's a very difficult major.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 8:56 pm

Accounting

Telecommute

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 8:59 pm

Yes, Engineering is hard. Which is why bean counters allow you to be different. Even weird. As long as you seem harmless and do your job.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 9:12 pm

Electrician

Carpenter

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 10:23 pm

Computer stuff. CNC operator or programmer. CAD for product design.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 10:35 pm

Nuclear physicist

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 10:44 pm

Anything that requires a technical skill that not everyone has, would be a good choice for your next career move.

I have two other things to mention. Since you feel this job suits you, though the pay is low, I advise you stay for a minimum of six months and actually, one to two years is better. That demonstrates stability, which employers like to see, because hiring anybody is a risk and they hope their investment in you will pay off.

The other thing is off topic. Could I possibly convince you not to use that red font? It is very hard on my eyes.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 10:52 pm

When I was 19, took Please Understand Me

Career personality test

It listed 20 jobs

All of them in physics and engineering

The easiest, civil engineer

Extroverts have a much easier time at jobs than introvert

Restaurant retail sales

:mrgreen:

Many jobs put "outgoing", "adaptable", "friendly" as skills

Outgoing is a Myers Briggs type, not a job skill

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 2:34 am

IT-security, there is a global shortage of skilled workers. I mean, there is plenty of paper pushing compliance people running around causing problems, but there are too few skilled analysts who are able to:

Detect intrusions
Analyse malware behavior
Do forensics work
Configure security devices
Do pentests
Build security tools
Make signatures for detection

...i.e. do actually stuff that matters.

What i hate about the business is the part about compliance: organizations get some sort of compliance statement or a certificate like ISO 270xx, then they believe that they are safe - which is BS, but they don't realize it before they get hacked. It happens again and again and again and again...

You get a new kind of understanding when you start looking at logs or packet captures and see all the s**t going on there vs the paper world where "nothing ever happens" as long as you have that paper.

If you can live with that...

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 3:03 am

Thanks for the responses.

kraftiekortie wrote:
Have you gone to University?

I studied film for a year and a half but I ceased doing so both because I didn't see myself getting a career out of it and because due to procrastination tendencies and maybe depression I had a tendency to leave my assignments to the last minute and not get them completed, leaving me with a low GPA. I'm open to returning to uni if I can ensure that I'll actually do the work rather than put it off, and if I am very decisive about where I want to end up at the end of it, but I think the latter will help the former.

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Accounting

Telecommute

I actually considered accounting/bookkeeping prior to getting the job I have now, but bookkeeping didn't seem to offer the pay I was hoping for eventually. Accounting on the other hand doesn't seem like a bad deal. That's my top choice at the moment, thanks.

AspE wrote:
Computer stuff. CNC operator or programmer. CAD for product design.

I'll look into it.

BeaArthur wrote:
Anything that requires a technical skill that not everyone has, would be a good choice for your next career move.

I have two other things to mention. Since you feel this job suits you, though the pay is low, I advise you stay for a minimum of six months and actually, one to two years is better. That demonstrates stability, which employers like to see, because hiring anybody is a risk and they hope their investment in you will pay off.

So far I've been at the job I'm at now since May of last year, so 8 and a half months. If I were to try to get into another industry, I'd likely have to do some sort of study or devote time into gaining some sort of qualification, and that being the case, I'd try to negotiate part-time or casual hours with my work rather than the full-time I'm doing now so I've still got my foot in the door at work in case things don't work out and I'm also able to make a bit of extra cash one or two days a week, but at the same time I'm still able to focus my efforts on moving ahead in my life and career.

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
When I was 19, took Please Understand Me

Career personality test

It listed 20 jobs

All of them in physics and engineering

The easiest, civil engineer

Extroverts have a much easier time at jobs than introvert

Restaurant retail sales

:mrgreen:

Many jobs put "outgoing", "adaptable", "friendly" as skills

Outgoing is a Myers Briggs type, not a job skill

Well restaurant and retail don't make much compared to the others you listed. I used to despise seeing "outgoing, adaptable, etc" on job ads, because like you say it's a personality type/temperament that isn't really a choice at all, and I felt like if I applied for jobs that had those things on them (most unskilled jobs), then I wasn't being honest, and I would set a potential employer up to have expectations of me that I can't deliver on. That was a major reason I didn't apply for many jobs or even look very much.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 9:04 am

Mathematician

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 4:42 pm

If those are really your strengths.. work for the USPS in distribution, Custodial craft (janitorial, IT maintenance or Equip Maint)

Or Bookkeeping/Acctg
Paralegal
Inventory Control are all similar matches for your indoor criteria

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 4:47 pm

Even though it's not the most stable or reliable, I do think working anywhere in film would be cool for anybody.