Difficulty with studying for work

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MusicallyGeekedHyena
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Mar 2019, 10:12 am

Hey there guys,

So I guess I'll jump straight into it. I work in finances as a head teller for a credit union. It's actually not that hard of a job, but there's SO MUCH for me to learn and remember. It's one of those scenarios where I'm at a point where I feel like quitting, but don't want to give up on a possible career like I've done in the past. Everyone is being EXTREMELY supporting and friendly towards me, but I keep making mistakes. I feel like if I could learn the material and or figure out the lingo, I'd be SO MUCH BETTER OFF. I just can't seem to process and hold a lot of what's being taught to me. Coworkers have suggested notes and cards to remind myself where others have just essentially told me to ask for help. Does anybody else here work in finances or have any sort of experience dealing with this or figuring out ways to succeed? That or possibly things I could do just skill wise to improve my learning ability? I'm pretty desperate at the moment.

Have a lovely day all. Much shenanigans to ya.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2019, 10:20 am

Is there any way you could study a little bit at a time throughout the day?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2019, 11:17 am

I have no background in finance at all, but I think I can suggest something that might generalize to your situation.

An important ability to develop is called "metacognition," or thinking about thinking. For the purposes of this discussion, it means being able to observe your own learning processes and play to your strengths. In a number of life activities, I have done something like this to increase my success.

If it's merely a matter of memory, you can use cheat sheets (pages of notes, I mean) or learn things via flash cards that you make yourself - rote memorization. If it's a matter of organization, develop a simple strategy for how you categorize information (such as, "legalities," "customer service issues," "when to go to a manager," etc.)

You might be a person who likes to use flow charts or organizational charts, or some other device. Some people swear by a bullet journal (Google that if interested). Or maybe you like to have your information all typed into a computer file, which is then easy to search by a key word - maybe "interest" or "cash" in a job like yours.

I figured out after many years that I learn best when I take written notes while listening to or watching a presentation. Sometimes the teacher or presenter says "you don't have to take notes, this is all in the handouts," but that didn't work for me. There is something about digesting the material in my own words and writing it down, that reinforces the learning. If I later go back and type the notes into a computer file, that is even better. Then I would use that typing both for computer searching, and to print out and place in a binder. Typing my own notes also reinforces what I learned by hand-writing the notes.

I am not saying "do what I did" but rather "observe your own learning processes to see what your strengths are."

I hope these suggestions help.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2019, 11:51 am

Oh I forgot to mention some things that might be good for you.

If you are an auditory learner (which I am not) you may benefit by tape recording any talks and supervision sessions, then playing back at appropriate times. Possibly doing this during your commute to and from work (with earphones) would be a way to snag some additional learning time.

If you are a kinesthetic learner, you might want to walk or bike in a safe place while going over flash cards or listening to taped material. Or make posters of key concepts, illustrating and using special fonts.

Some people learn best with a combination of methods, going over the same material.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!