Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2019, 3:24 pm

I seen an ad for a science writer job writing about birds, specifically writing about bird research in layman's terms. The position said telecommuting is possible but preference would be given to people that can come into the office at least once a week, and their office is near San Francisco! Ouch! This Michigan girl would be at a disadvantage! How would I negotiate this?

My thought would be to tell them I'll start out in Michigan but after a couple of paychecks I can get things straight and move out there later?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2019, 12:07 am

Look into the cost of living near San Francisco before you propose doing that. It's probably three times what it is in Michigan. And that will matter because if you have a full time job, you will lose your government benefits.

My suggestion would be to apply in good faith as someone living in Michigan. It's always possible they won't find someone with as good a fit as you.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2019, 12:35 am

Can you use a video conference system? I'd offer to do that, and be available through it regularly (say all day once a week, just like being in an office). I wouldn't pretend to be able to move to California if you can't, although you can say you'd be willing to come for quarterly meetings (or something), if that's true.

There Are Four Lights!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2019, 10:26 am

Relocation costs $$

San Francisco costs more for rent than Michigan

California is an "at will" employer

If you move over there, they could can (terminate, fire) you for any reason or no reason. Without notice. They just can't violate Equal Employment Opportunity commission or whatever

Not to say that they will fire you

But it is a risk financially

Precious lil "people" in San Francisco canned me

Spherion

AAA, UCSF

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2019, 11:24 am

I don't know how much of a chance I have.... It says that the successful candidate is someone that has successfully published articles before either online or print... I've created lesson plans and interpretive signs before and I'm actually really good at it based on my past jobs feedback but I've never published an article. They said someone that could do graphic design too was preferred but not required and I can do that... Anyway this job required samples of my work to apply and I sent them samples of stuff I wrote and graphic design work... But I have a feeling a professional writer might get this job. It would be really hard to relocate to California... I have a feeling if someone that already lived in the area that happened to be a really good writer applied they would get the job. This is a full time, permanent, salaried with benefits job.

Edit: The one bedroom apartment we live in right now (in an elderly/disabled building) is only 626 a month and it includes all utilities..... My niece-in-law lives in a big city area (Jersey) and her smaller than ours apartment costs 1500 a month plus utilities... Big difference there!

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2019, 4:23 pm

Lol I was looking at jobs on indeed and under experience one said "Lived 1 year"

What they actually meant is that you lived with a mental illness at least one year, the local community mental health is hiring a new peer support... I applied but I don't know how they will feel about the application because I'm a personal long time friend of one of their peer supports, some of the other ones know me too, and they kinda know me in general there I think lol, not in a good way entirely because I can be a bit unstable...