Weird things you got "written up" for?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 5:56 pm

Well, maybe not just weird things, but shocking things you didn't expect, or such.

Hey, it happens to NTs too, so don't be too disheartened. "Personality conflict" and "not cutting the mustard" are practically cliches in the labour force write large. :P

I'm in my mid-40s now in a successful career path, and the last time I was written up was about 13 years ago, at a technical type job (right in my element) because I wasn't adhering to some common-sense unwritten team rule, once when I inadvertently contradicted an immediate colleague on an email with cc: to some "outsiders", making her look somewhat foolish given what she'd just said (she forgave me and knew my quirks that I meant well) but since my boss was copied, and so she (my boss) had me written up b/c it wasn't the first time I did that. Not in an irate or confronting way, just matter-of-fact. I didn't repeat it since.

The other time was when I was overzealous in answering an "outsider" response (when I say "outsider" it was an employee of our corporation, but not of my immediate team), and fudged a couple of replies in error when I was supposed to consult with a colleague who was better versed in the matter. Didn't repeat that either. I was lucky that I was seeing a great psychologist at the time who helped me do some soul-searching that after years of being told that I was "useless" or other exaggerated/frustrated retorts (including my own stepmom who yelled "stupid" at me when I fudged some common-sense household expectation), that as a result I felt the urge to overcompensate by proving myself which strayed too much into "dark territory" so to speak. This wonderful man was very wise, objective, insightful to my condition and can honestly say he imparted some great life lessons on to me that may well have saved my neck! :D

It just goes to show you how verbal abuse can adversely affect us beyond the symptoms of ASD/HFA (Aspergers) unto itself, but believe me that with the right therapy this can be effectively dealt with. Sorry, I digress.

The only other time that I recall in my teens was at McDonalds when I took too long to make salads during the start of the evening shift - I was being very precise and copacetic in how I presented them and reprimanded for it b/c they were needed before I was done. In hindsight I realized it was a pragmatic deficit, whereby I wasn't sure how much time I should spend on the task when calibrating detail-orientation with time constraints. VERY VERY common with people on the spectrum so I've heard 8O managing these sort of expectations comes more naturally to NTs, and it's something I had to learn "the hard way". On which note, one time in the early part of the decade I was put on a performance improvement plan for a similar reason. 8O but they were very unclear on expectations and it was a chaotic environment in general, so I jumped shipped for a more stable and rewarding environment :D

I'll admit to you, there have been times when I sent emails with a bit of abrasiveness when I felt that someone was being unreasonable or beating around the bush (I know many of us can't stand this one!!) but never got called on or "tattled on" for being rude or belligerent, so I guess I calibrated my expression well. "Firm but fair" and assertive if you will. But my guess is there are others on this site who might have been written up for perceived rudeness in communication (when this was obviously not intended) - and like I said before, this sort of thing can happen to NTs too...personality conflicts can be petty if someone doesn't like you they can invent reasons to criticize you...

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 7:04 pm

I've done that as well. I contradicted my boss to an outsider... however my stupid boss hadn't kept me in the loop and I didn't know what he had said to the outsider and I didnt know I was contradicting him.

I didn't get written up because he knew he'd slipped up and should have realised my straightforward aspieness would only think of a straightforward answer to the outsider's question.

He knew me well enough to know I hadn't done it out of any malicious intent.

I had to stop working there though, of my own accord. I'm too straightforward and non-duplicitous to work with people who depend on too many white lies. It confuses me.

I also struggle with working out how long something will take to do within an alotted time. I had a cleaning job where I took too long to vacuum because I did it too thoroughly.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 9:26 am

I was once written up for remaining at my workstation during lunch (it was my first union job). I had sprained my ankle and didn't feel like eating lunch anyway, so I turned my chair around, propped up my bandaged ankle on a crate, and continued reading "Dune".

The person who wrote me up said that I had been working during lunch, that I had been lifting and carrying boxes, and that I had been reading an equipment manual.

Not only did the write-up "stick", but someone scratched the word "SCAB" into the side of my car.

Union jobs suck.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 9:51 am

I got written up a couple of times for meowing in the hallway.

This hasn't happened in many years, though.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 1:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I got written up a couple of times for meowing in the hallway.

This hasn't happened in many years, though.

Meowing?

Anyway I once took a company car without permission so I could go out and buy a Sonic game day of release... During my previous obsession with Sonic I got really unhappy if I couldn't pick up a new title day of release.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 1:22 pm

Did they catch you?

Sheila Nye
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2019, 3:44 pm

Meowing in the hallway? Sounds delightful!

I was written up for telling the same joke all month long and for teaching a client how to drive (No rules were posted against that or guidelines ever given but I "should have known..."), and so I was put back on work probation.

It turned out that I kept telling the same joke because I was concussed from a fall and was experiencing some transitory memory loss.

The write-up remained.

I was young but fortunately had the sense to go to a neurologist when I realized during the disciplinary meeting that some things more than the usual things were amiss.

mindgame
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jan 2019, 10:33 pm

I got written up and put on probation for making a suggestion to the "wrong person" at work. I was trying to find a solution to an ongoing problem we had, and approached a person who wasn't my direct supervisor. So I got reprimanded. I was brought before an HR person who tried to get me to recognize my error. In turn, I tried to explain that because I hardly ever saw my direct supervisor, I thought it was only natural to speak to the one person and not the other. I was written up for "unprofessional communication."

TrippyRabbit99
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jan 2019, 12:07 pm

For not showing up 8O

aspieprincess123
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2019, 10:25 pm

I recently got pulled up by my boss cause my thong was on show for a few seconds which for the lads in the office too worked up.

My last position I was placed under a sustained bullying by 3 lasses I worked with cause at the time I was not in the union and there was a strike so I had to work and after that I was bullied constantly.
The three lasses would do things like steal my stuff or throw my food out or key my car I couldn't prove it and I got depressed over it till my partner had enough and using a hidden go pro caught them red handed stealing my purse and pouring my coffee over the keyboard as I was a receptionist and my partner pretended to be a customer.

Even after getting video evidence the union they were part of tried to keep it quiet again my partner made a massive fuss including posting flyers of the lasses bullying me saying the union supports and endorses bullying disabled staff. It was after that and bad press from the local town that made the workplace and union drop the 3 b*****s.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2019, 3:39 am

I was never written up at any of my jobs but I did get a verbal warning 1ce. An assistant manager had ordered me & someone else to do something & ignore all other orders till it was done. The head manager had me paged to do something but she did not make the page herself so I ignored it like I was told & she chewed me out for it without giving me a chance to explain. I ended up quitting that day after my shift was over & my work was done. Before you guys think I overreacted let me explain about some things. My department had been really short-handed & I had been working a lot of overtime to help out. I wasn't asked to by management but my supervisor appreciated it. We also had a contract crew assisting us that kept screwing up & we had to fix it. My department kept getting more & more shorthanded & the contract crew kinda gradually started doing more & more. a few weeks after I quit my supervisor got into a conflict with the head manager & she suggested he transfer to a different department cuz he was stressed out & she let him pick which one. Shortly after that the rest of my department was dissolved into others & the contract crew took over fully. I would of had problems working in other departments cuz of my disabilities & I'm pretty sure management could of guessed that. I feel like I was forced out cuz of that. I think I kinda subconsciously saw what was coming. I was on SSI at the time thou I hadn't been eligible for any money from it the last few months cuz of how much OT I was working. So it's not like I quit & had no income. I was also still living with my parents at the time.

You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.

aspieprincess123
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2019, 8:30 am

Cause of dickhead management is the reason why my partner has a shattered ribcage and is off sick for quite some time.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 8:56 am

When I was a kid rather than at school, I got in trouble because my friend was going to get in trouble and I stole the monitor's pencil so she couldn't write him on the list of naughty kids. Then I got sinbin (detention for some reason our head called it sinbin) and he didn't?

The worst one and I'm pretty sure this is sexist is once I left a bit of blood in the unisex toilet, I do mean a little bit, and didn't clean it up and my boss told all the women off for it and said 'I'm a man of the world, just as long as someone comes forward at the end of the day'. If he was straight it would be some sort of harassment but because he wasn't I wonder if he just had a major issue with women? I cleaned it off and no more was said but I was there to sell books not clean toilets and it wasn't like I made a mess on purpose.

He also told me off because I took time off for my uni exams (this wasn't paid work) and wrote my dots too big (after saying 'I'm dyspraxic I need a pricing gun').

But he didn't tell off the lad who came in, dodged out all morning and afternoon, brought back the receipt for lunch (we were all entitled to this) and basically used the place to get a free lift into town and a free lunch. I wonder if he fancied him or something?...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 9:19 am

Wearing blue jeans on Thursday.

Someone spread a rumor that anyone who believed that the principal of our grade school should be fired should wear blue jeans on Thursday. Unfortunately, no one told me, and since I usually wore blue jeans anyway, I was taken out of class, lectured, "written up", and the incident added to my Permanent Record.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2019, 8:27 am

Yesterday I got in trouble for something that wasn't my fault. My supervisor showed me some long light shades that were laid out on top of a work bench, and he asked me to clean them (they were very dirty). Then he left me to get on. The work bench had a cloth covering it, one of those cloths that you put over furniture to protect it whilst doing messy work. After cleaning each and every long light shade and standing them neatly up against the wall once cleaned, the supervisor appeared and told me off for cleaning them on top of the work bench. I asked why, and he said it was because the work bench belonged to one of the day workers who kept his tools underneath it, and that nobody was to even touch the work bench while this guy wasn't there. Confused, I said that there is a cloth over the work bench which I thought was put there to protect it from getting dirty, but the supervisor said that the cloth mustn't get dirty either, otherwise the guy will know that someone's been working on it (even though the cloth wasn't that clean anyway). As I do evening shifts and I normally work outside, not inside, I had no idea about this guy and his obsession with a work bench. The long light shades were placed on top of the work bench specifically for me to clean (I don't know who placed them there), and being so the work bench was covered with a cloth and it was the most safest and practical place to clean long objects on (the light shades were longer than me), I just automatically assumed that the work bench was where I was supposed to clean them. Nobody told me to move the long light shades elsewhere to clean, and I can't read the mind of a guy I've never met before. Yet I still felt like I was being told off for it, like I was working on his work bench on purpose to spite him or something. I told the supervisor that I didn't know this guy didn't want anyone working on top of his work bench and that the cloth can't get dirty.
Basically the cloth means "this work bench is off-limits", where as I thought the cloth meant "this is for messy work".

Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder