What do you can't find something in your field?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2023, 2:32 pm

Hey everyone! I've been unemployed for 6 months. Trying to move back to my home state especially because my grandparents aren't doing well. I have been ghosted 4 times in the past 2 months and didn't make the cut for the one interview I got.

I got a Bachelor's in Sociology, focusing on research, another degree in Psych that focused on soc and biopsych (including illnesses, nerves/ CNS, and physical make up of the brain), and a data analyst certificate with prior CIS on my transcript.

I was originally looking at various analysis positions but also started looking at underwriting. I've been told to look at similar options but I can't figure out what those could be. Even tried asking GPT but it just spat out more analyst jobs.

Any suggestions? Open to anything that can get me a place to stay, food in my family's belly, and utilities (not looking to be wealthy.)

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2023, 4:37 pm

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/S ... jor-Salary

I would note that the best paying jobs for persons with a sociology degree are in academia and government.

Vaya con Dios.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2023, 5:40 pm

Granted my work history is pretty bad, but I think that there are a lot more sociology degree holders than sociology jobs.

While I might be wrong it seems to me like the vast majority of sociology jobs are in research at universities. Those jobs are extremely competitive

How about a job that requires any degree?

Teaching and insurance

Marketing

Restaurant retail sales

Again I am not a career counselor

If I am totally off base, please just ignore my post

swrider
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2023, 5:44 pm

Look at state, city and county jobs. They don't advertise well and usually have decent benefits (except pay. Usually on the lower end).
With your background you'd fit several job types including social services and data management.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2023, 2:29 pm

Surely there must be some type of job in demand in your area.

Here, there are a lot of jobs available in skilled trades, manual labour, restaurants etc. Jobs that require very niche educations typically aren't in high demand and get snapped up by someone who's been biding their time doing some other job waiting for an opening in their field. You may have to do that.

There are a LOT of out of work film industry people here who haven't worked in a year. They're working in restaurants, on farms, repairing cars etc - whatever they can do to pay the bills until their industry picks up pace again.

Take a look around where you are and see what sectors seem to be hiring.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2023, 5:35 pm

GeekyFreak wrote:
Hey everyone! I've been unemployed for 6 months. Trying to move back to my home state especially because my grandparents aren't doing well. I have been ghosted 4 times in the past 2 months and didn't make the cut for the one interview I got.

I got a Bachelor's in Sociology, focusing on research, another degree in Psych that focused on soc and biopsych (including illnesses, nerves/ CNS, and physical make up of the brain), and a data analyst certificate with prior CIS on my transcript.

I was originally looking at various analysis positions but also started looking at underwriting. I've been told to look at similar options but I can't figure out what those could be. Even tried asking GPT but it just spat out more analyst jobs.

Any suggestions? Open to anything that can get me a place to stay, food in my family's belly, and utilities (not looking to be wealthy.)

Most people don't work in the field they studied. Or at least they go on to work in other fields at some point.

My best advice would be to ignore the requirements and just apply for any and all jobs that pay the bills, needs skills you have or can learn and are things that you enjoy. (Or at least tolerate)

I would be so much further along in my life if I realized that you can pretty much ignore all the stated hiring requirements and just apply to every job that I could be at all good at. Everybody else is doing that, so you might as well.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2023, 8:11 am

I'm not a farmer, I don't have a field. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2023, 11:14 am

My degree is in urban planning and geography, but GIS is a very small field, and most of the jobs in my area are for oil and gas companies, and are almost always contract positions with little benefits if any.

City governments employ people in those fields, but pay is usually not good, and in Texas, especially in smaller towns and suburban areas, are not hiring in those fields, so they can be able to hire more cops to enforce the Abbott-Patrick-Paxton agenda.

The GIS job outlook is not better in the cities I am considering relocating to (NYC, San Francisco, Seattle), and even if jobs were plentiful, they would not pay enough for me to not be homeless.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2023, 8:10 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
My degree is in urban planning and geography, but GIS is a very small field, and most of the jobs in my area are for oil and gas companies, and are almost always contract positions with little benefits if any.

City governments employ people in those fields, but pay is usually not good, and in Texas, especially in smaller towns and suburban areas, are not hiring in those fields, so they can be able to hire more cops to enforce the Abbott-Patrick-Paxton agenda.

The GIS job outlook is not better in the cities I am considering relocating to (NYC, San Francisco, Seattle), and even if jobs were plentiful, they would not pay enough for me to not be homeless.

CIS -computer science. I know a handful of languages and advanced data such as machine learning, AI, Python, SQL, etc.

I got declined multiple jobs for not knowing how to work GIS. I know about it but the courses teaching it unfortunately weren't in any program I was in.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2023, 8:15 am

swrider wrote:
Look at state, city and county jobs. They don't advertise well and usually have decent benefits (except pay. Usually on the lower end).
With your background you'd fit several job types including social services and data management.

I did. Most have gone through state of CA as I was a temp worker there before. Also tried county and city levels in CA, WA, OR, VT, MI, NJ, NY, AK, CO, and OK. Also worked a federal contract and have been going after Fed positions. Cannot even score an interview smh.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2023, 8:30 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Granted my work history is pretty bad, but I think that there are a lot more sociology degree holders than sociology jobs.

While I might be wrong it seems to me like the vast majority of sociology jobs are in research at universities. Those jobs are extremely competitive

How about a job that requires any degree?

Teaching and insurance

Marketing

Restaurant retail sales

Again I am not a career counselor

If I am totally off base, please just ignore my post

Not gonna ignore you cause they're great ideas. In fact I've tried em lol.

K12 does often require an ed degree. In my current state it does not but Walmart pays more and is less stress. Walmart made me want to go postal. I have applied to be an adjuct professor at 6 or 7 different colleges in multiple fields including CIS intro, Sociolgiy, Psychology, English, and ESL assistant.

Actually just has an insurance firm ghost me (underwriter) which sparked this post!

Tried marketing. LionsGate loves to send me job openings for it but never hire me lmao. No response on why. Just rejection letters.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2023, 8:46 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Surely there must be some type of job in demand in your area.

Here, there are a lot of jobs available in skilled trades, manual labour, restaurants etc. Jobs that require very niche educations typically aren't in high demand and get snapped up by someone who's been biding their time doing some other job waiting for an opening in their field. You may have to do that.

There are a LOT of out of work film industry people here who haven't worked in a year. They're working in restaurants, on farms, repairing cars etc - whatever they can do to pay the bills until their industry picks up pace again.

Take a look around where you are and see what sectors seem to be hiring.

Long story shot, I'm trying to get home or somewhere safer for my family.

Here we have Dollar General and gas stations. Every other business closed. My SO passed over a job at the local school after they requested he feed kids food that had roaches in it. Can't blame him. We're pretty honest people.

Not always looking big either but enough to pay the bills with net income. Some places in surrounding areas are hiring but cost gas, toll roads, and sometimes even parking to get to. SO was spending around $100/wk to get to his job that only paid around $300 gross no benefits. They did try and charge him $700 for health insurance though

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2023, 6:39 am

GeekyFreak wrote:

Maybe neuromarketing for a company given your psychology degree.Companies use people with that background to help design their facilities and commercials and you could maybe help with that.Just a thought.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2023, 6:50 am

Oh, I'd love to do a degree in Sociology, it's my dream!

Good luck finding a job!

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2023, 8:21 am

KitLily wrote:

Good luck finding a job!

so what do you like about sociology?The sociology classes I took were real interesting.I know its a low-paying field for most people but you learn a lot about of the world with it.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2023, 12:40 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Good luck finding a job!

so what do you like about sociology?The sociology classes I took were real interesting.I know its a low-paying field for most people but you learn a lot about of the world with it.

That's exactly the reason: I want to learn about people, the world, why they behave as they do. And it sounds more interesting to study groups than individuals like I would in psychology and I like collecting data and seeing what it means. So collecting data about people would be interesting too.