What can I do to get a job I actually like?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ironpony
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2019, 12:41 am

I got laid off of my job, a job which I didn't really like either, and my friends and gf told me that I have been going from jobs I hate for the last 15 or so years, which is true, and that it's time I work the job I actually want and no more screwing around.

I am trying to produce and direct my first feature film at the moment, and I almost got offered some other jobs in the industry at a convention I was going to go to, but my best friend died, which prevented me from going. But now I'm thinking I should have just went anyway.

But what do you think I could do for work, since they get a job you like and not just any job available? If I could work a job related to my filmmaking skills that would help, but been having trouble finding one. But at the same time, I was advised not to settle for less again. What do you think?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 4:15 pm

Ideal versus practical

Every situation is different

Your skills, your situation, the economy

Many factors determine the answer to that question

Not everyone works at their ideal job

Not everyone has a job

Not everyone is good at their job

Not everyone likes their job

Not everyone likes their boss

Some jobs are hard to find fulfilling but someone has to do the job

Filmmaking , there are not many jobs available,. A lot of competition.

Like actor , dancer, visual artist, musician whatever

It is good to follow your passion sometimes

It is good to be practical sometimes

Oculus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2019, 10:22 pm

Like SFBUM said, it depends on a lot of things, and ideal jobs are extremely rare. It might be more reasonable to seek a "better job" (a relative measure) or a job you don't absolutely hate.

The more you have marketable skills and experience which are rare and sought after, the more flexibility you will have in your job search. Having them also empowers you to find a better job so you can leave a lackluster workplace.

The key is to identify something you like doing, for which there is market demand, and practice it to improve your skills. It is important to be able to demonstrate your skills so they are visible to prospective employers. For artists this means building up a portfolio. For software engineers it means Github projects. Eventually you will collect letters of recommendation from former employers/clients, but in the meantime you need something you can point at during a job interview which demonstrates your skills.

You can usually get some idea of whether a prospective employer will give you a good workplace experience by doing a little research. Glassdoor.org is a free service where employees rate and review their employers, for example. You should also take advantage of the interview to ask questions about corporate culture, management practices, employee turnover rate, and other factors which might be relevant to your workplace enjoyment. You can also mention to them one or two things you found in your research and ask them to explain it.

When your skills are rare and market demand for them is high, employees are more likely to treat you nicely. They don't want you to leave for another company. Developing such skills can be difficult, though, since if it were easy everyone would be doing it and the skills wouldn't be rare anymore.

If you can't find a way to monetize what you love to do, you might want to drop your expectations back a bit and find a way to monetize tasks which don't make you miserable.

In my own career, I made a habit of seeking projects within my field which other people didn't want to work on. That made my job harder, sometimes, but it was also a rare skill in its own right, with commensurate demand. Sometimes you can leverage an under-exploited niche in a job market to your own advantage. The trick is finding a niche with an unmet need, which you can fill.

Good luck!