Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Confused_Sloth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2020, 9:10 am

So I finally got a job offer.

I'm excited, but also in disbelief. I need several things before I start the job. I need to get a physical examination and I need to do a TBT test. Unfortunately, I have yet to change medical insurance providers so I'll have to pay out of pocket for these. But the internet says they are cheap.

Nightmare scenarios keep running through my mind, what if I catch Coronavirus and test positive for Coronavirus at this exact moment. Would I still get the job? (I'd definitely take a second test just to make doubly sure)

A less plausible scenario running through my head is what if I take too long in getting them the results of physicals and TBT tests. Since that is going to take at least a week or two for me to do.

I have other assorted very low possibility scenarios of me losing the job running through my head that isn't worth mentioning. But I worry too much.

I just wanted to share that I probably got a job and that the feedback and help I received on this forum was very helpful throughout my job search.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Dreamtastic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jul 2020, 9:45 pm

Congratulations on your job offer! That is so exciting.

Your worrying about all this stuff is probably exactly what I would be doing if I had just gotten a new job offer!

But I really don't think you have too much to worry about. If they offered you the job, that means they really want you and would not do anything to change that lightly.

Did they tell you how long you have to give them the results of your physical and TBT test? If it seems like there will be a delay, you could always contact them and let them know, and chances are they would be okay with it if it was beyond your control.

As for coronavirus, chances are that most of us have already been exposed to it at this point. Remember, most cases are asymptomatic. But even if you did get it, I don't think it would cancel your job offer so much as meaning maybe a little bit longer before you can start.

Congrats again, and best wishes with your new job! :mrgreen:

Confused_Sloth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2020, 10:34 pm

Thanks, no exact time frame was given, but within two weeks was strongly suggested. I can probably get both tests done this week and send in the results by next week.

Honestly, I don't know if the reason I got the job offer was that they really want me, more like they really want any qualified candidates to help deal with the increased workload caused by the Coronavirus epidemic. After all, I was extended the offer after just a single phone interview.

Then again, it is a contract position and not a full-time position, so it is likely that the bar was set lower. Still, I'll do my best and give them no reason for them to let me go.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 3:25 am

congrats!

if you do have the rona, they may want you to take a two-week quarantine before starting.

dunno. whoever hired you probably caught it too.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 5:05 am

Congratulations on getting a job.

Your worries sound pretty normal to me. Get those tests done ASAP. Use an urgent care center if you can. TB test takes 3 days. Day one is the injection and Day 3 for the test to be red. Do it right away. If the test is questionable you may have to get a chest X-ray. At least in the US.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 5:42 am

I would have thought those tests were sponsored by the company. You have to do these on your own?

You’re in NYC. It’s quite easy to get a COVID test now. Only 1% of people taking the test are positive these days.

I had COVID in March. Had a negative test in April. Was positive for antibodies in May.

Congrats on the job! :D

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 7:31 am

Congratulations!! !! Wishing it is less nightmare-y and more dreamy. :)

Confused_Sloth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jul 2020, 12:36 am

Had my tests done, had to send photos of my TB test to my doctor to cut down on the amount of time the tests would take. My bloodwork should be done by now and the recruiter called saying that they want me to start as soon as possible. So even though they asked for a two-step tuberculosis test (which takes two week) they're fine with me starting with only the results of the first step, at least until I can get the second test done.

I'm still worried, wondering if it's a scam, if it is, my self-esteem and motivation is going hit zero. But I doubt it, I've done my due diligence and everything checks out, the recruiter, the person that was supposed to interview me (actual government employee with verifiable linkedin page.)

The only thing that bothers me is that they hired me after only a phone interview, for which I can think of three reasons. They don't like doing in-person interviews because of the coronavirus. They wanted to fulfill a disability quota, so my autism fast-tracked me into one of the available positions. Or it's because this is only a temp position and the screening for such positions are weaker.

The moment is literally life-changing to me, yet I haven't really had time to sit down and process it. Between getting ready for the new job, pushing carts for my old job, and trying to gather my medical data. Things have been really hectic. Hopefully I'll have a moment to breathe soon.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2020, 5:09 am

O, CS, I am so happy for you. What an exciting time in your life. I hope it all goes well for you.

Confused_Sloth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jul 2020, 6:12 pm

Thank you blazingstar, I look forward to taking my first step into the professional world.

BoneProtector
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jul 2020, 8:00 am

my congratulations to you

Confused_Sloth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2020, 10:18 pm

Thank you, I start tomorrow. Though I think the stress is getting to me.

I feel a small cough coming on and with everything going on I default to Paranoia, especially as I have an old person at home, who could potentially be at risk. I really really hate that the Coronavirus can be spread asymptomatically, really feeds my fears that I could accidentally cause my family members to catch it purely by accident.

asuraswe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2020, 5:53 am

Confused_Sloth wrote:
So I finally got a job offer.

I'm excited, but also in disbelief. I need several things before I start the job. I need to get a physical examination and I need to do a TBT test. Unfortunately, I have yet to change medical insurance providers so I'll have to pay out of pocket for these. But the internet says they are cheap.

Nightmare scenarios keep running through my mind, what if I catch Coronavirus and test positive for Coronavirus at this exact moment. Would I still get the job? (I'd definitely take a second test just to make doubly sure)

A less plausible scenario running through my head is what if I take too long in getting them the results of physicals and TBT tests. Since that is going to take at least a week or two for me to do.

I have other assorted very low possibility scenarios of me losing the job running through my head that isn't worth mentioning. But I worry too much.

I just wanted to share that I probably got a job and that the feedback and help I received on this forum was very helpful throughout my job search.

Congrats on your new job. Don´t worry to much. Try to do something which
requires attention in order to take your racing mind out of the subject :mrgreen: