Software/QA, UI/UX, and Front-End Web Development

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

duvidel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2020, 6:07 pm

This is a cross post from Wrongplanet.net to the Facebook Adult Autistic Spectrum Community but I am getting desperate, frustrated, and confused. I am sorry if this is a repeated thread. Please bear with me so you understand my situation. I have recently completed some career inventories. I am heavily oriented toward social and artistic fields, most of which haven't panned out in the past. For example, I have done social work and while I cared very much, my expression of empathy didn't come through as I intended or I was stumped by internal anxiety and not knowing what to say. Likewise, I might try to be a library assistant, but could never see myself as a speech pathologist. My next major interest is the arts, and I know realistically that I play guitar for fun, but would not make it professionally, and there's already enough competition.

What's interesting from what I can understand, is that I have at least some interest in software despite prior IT experience with hardware and OS support. I have an A+, Network+, and some lapsed certifications I have no desire to repeat. In fact, I had dome some freelance hardware support and customer service/ helpdesk work about 11 years ago, then some other work. I did some security and risk administration like password reset and active directory permission work, and I have done a little support for the family. I also studied some coding thinking I could make a go of it.

I tried Free Code Camp, Code Academy, and finally settled on Udemy and had a web development class as well as a Wordpress course. The problems I had were that my html and css created rather flat looking pages and I definitely got lost on JavaScript. I especially need tutoring. Then, I moved to South Orange County, California and the department of rehabilitation refused to pay for any courses, insisting that I get into a job with existing skills. Technically, they were within their legal rights and an advocacy group said that they didn't break any laws. However, it broke my heart. I am trying to find work which neither overwhelms nor bores me, or training geared to people on the spectrum, preferably remotely. Some places like Ultranauts are not currently recruiting. I should mention that I am 53, so a program for high school graduates might not be the best fit. Also, a bootcamp would be too overwhelming and trying book learning was frustrating. My overall concern is that no matter what field I choose, I will have some experience but not enough to land a job and keep it, especially in a world which has become increasingly oriented to working from home.

1.Does anyone know of online low-cost or free tutoring for people on the Spectrum?
2. For those of you who have been able to remain in the business in the last 5 years, especially on the software side,
do you see any trends in terms of learning software/QA, UI/UX, or front-end work? I have been told that software/QA is still fairly young in relation to web development, so it might be a good niche.
3. Any opinion as to existing part-time programs for aforementioned training areas which might be a good fit?
4. If you especially know of technical or other job resources in Southern California, please reach out because I only have a few Facebook support groups. I tie my frustration and loneliness to not only having my needs ignored by those who could be helping, but a wide gap between myself and what's advertised online. Also, it would be helpful to commiserate with people experiencing similar issues.

Thank you and be well.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 11:34 pm

duvidel wrote:
I tried Free Code Camp, Code Academy, and finally settled on Udemy and had a web development class as well as a Wordpress course. The problems I had were that my html and css created rather flat looking pages and I definitely got lost on JavaScript.

Quote:
1.Does anyone know of online low-cost or free tutoring for people on the Spectrum?
No, but you might try MOOCs, which are free.

Honestly though, if you can't learn to code more or less on your own, even with online videos and/or books, you aren't suited to a career in software or web development. Developers have to continually learn new things as technology evolves, as they change to workplaces that use different programming languages, and as they take on jobs involving unfamiliar aspects of the programming languages they already know, and you won't be able to access a tutor for every little change.

Professional developers can read a few web pages about a new technology and be working with that technology the same day. If you can't keep up with that, you won't be competitive in the industry.

There are companies looking to hire and train autistic people for QA. I don't know so much about that field; it seems to be considered less demanding than development, but your difficulty developing programming knowledge might make you a weak candidate or prevent your progressing in your work.