Starting a new career as a Bank Teller

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nomad48
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Nov 2020, 9:38 pm

I have been in the work force for 30 years, but starting as a bank teller is new, anyone have any experiences good or bad? after seven months out of the work force due to covid-19, I am happy I found something ,it could be a challenge learning though...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 5:10 am

Congratulations on the new job.

Being a bank teller, these days, is probably easier than it was in the old days because of machines that count money.

It might take a little time to get used to it—but the odds are good that you will succeed.

nomad48

17 Nov 2020, 5:47 pm

I hope so, the training has a virtual customer coming in with 4 things to do, his mortgage, paying a loan, savings, depositing a check. They tell you over and over prepare to be yelled out, so the virtual learning doesn't have that aspect at least.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2020, 5:11 pm

nomad48 wrote:
They tell you over and over prepare to be yelled out,

That doesn't seem like a good workplace.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2020, 5:18 pm

I think any job that you have to deal face to face with the general public,
the same advice is relevant.

But not everyone will yell at you
some people will be really nice
some will be old and frail

others will be busy
some will be stressed

some may even have ASD
who i imagine do their fair share of yelling...

so takes all sorts
good luck

nomad48

22 Nov 2020, 10:48 pm

Until I work that the first busy day, it really is unknown. I did enjoy my two full weeks of paid training at home! the individuals who work from home on a regular basis, are very lucky.

idntonkw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2020, 12:54 am

nomad48 wrote:
I have been in the work force for 30 years, but starting as a bank teller is new, anyone have any experiences good or bad? after seven months out of the work force due to covid-19, I am happy I found something ,it could be a challenge learning though...

You will wear an office type shirt and a tie. You will work in a clean, air conditioned and heated space. Your coworkers will be polite to you. You will meet many clients and get to know a little about their lives. It's a low paying job though, but some people move to branch manager for example, or some other role in the bank. I think it's a good move. They may not give you 40 hours a week and health insurance though. Also, watch out for people who try to cash a $10,000 check which turns out to be fake.

nomad48

24 Nov 2020, 11:24 pm

idntonkw wrote:
nomad48 wrote:

You will wear an office type shirt and a tie. You will work in a clean, air conditioned and heated space. Your coworkers will be polite to you. You will meet many clients and get to know a little about their lives. It's a low paying job though, but some people move to branch manager for example, or some other role in the bank. I think it's a good move. They may not give you 40 hours a week and health insurance though. Also, watch out for people who try to cash a $10,000 check which turns out to be fake.

No ties!

nomad48

01 Dec 2020, 9:40 pm

So far this job has been a car crash inside a train wreck inside a dumpster fire, anyone on this board with any background in banking?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 3:03 am

nomad48 wrote:
So far this job has been a car crash inside a train wreck inside a dumpster fire, anyone on this board with any background in banking?

What happened?

nomad48

02 Dec 2020, 3:38 pm

Already called into the office for not picking up things fast enough, not where I should be on the sixth day at the branch . I was worried about performing well enough during the 90 days, was expecting a little bit of grace period, since the first two weeks were online, which is completely a different animal.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 9:38 pm

So sorry! I have a very long lag phase in learning and in the past, employers get frustrated with that. Do you think you can do the work once you get it? Could you ask for more patience while you learn?

nomad48

02 Dec 2020, 10:45 pm

It's possible, I have been a cashier in multiple locations, I don't think I'm going to be axed yet, it is just frustrating that the communication is off, no one listens carefully, and everyone is masked.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 5:03 am

I can imagine that learning a new skill set with everyone masked would add stress to the learning process. Can you avoid shutting down while learning? This was one of my great problems; too much input and I panic.

nomad48

04 Dec 2020, 11:12 pm

Lately the shut downs are more often, I have a great memory normally, but it my working memory under stress truly has become a major liability.

idntonkw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2020, 12:48 am

nomad48 wrote:
Lately the shut downs are more often, I have a great memory normally, but it my working memory under stress truly has become a major liability.

I worked in a day time office setting similar to a bank. It was hard to focus and almost constant anxiety and masking with people. Stay in the new hire training program though. Don't fight with coworkers. Take notes at home of what you learned during the day to review later and help you remember what you've been taught at work. It will work out. The biggest mistake you can make is give up and quit.