Velociraptor

28 Oct 2021, 6:43 am

Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Fnord wrote:
badRobot wrote:
STEM itself doesn't make you immune to unemployment. STEM just correlates with ability to constantly learn the whole time you work, as soon as you stop learning, you are left in the dust. This mindset is what should be adopted in high school education and other fields.
Yes, "Never stop learning" is the mantra.

In a technological society, a STEM degree betters the odds of getting a job than a HASS degree, and any degree is far better at increasing the odds of acquiring employment than no degree at all.

If ours was a philosophical society instead, the situation between STEM and HASS degrees might be reversed; but having no degree at all would still minimize one's chances for employment.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't have the aptitude for STEM. It just requires a certain logical and abstract way of thinking that many people don't have. I'm a mature-age student studying CS who comes from years of manual labor and I'm running rings around some of these kids fresh out of school simply because I get it in a way that they don't. I also genuinely enjoy programming, learning new mathematical concepts and finding ways to apply them to solve problems. A lot of the other students just find it boring. They're never going to do well in a STEM career, and quite frankly there's nowhere near enough STEM jobs available anyway. Getting past the entry-level bottleneck is extremely difficult for many.

Yah even if you go for a survival job that doesn’t relate to your degree the fact that you have a degree demonstrates that you are reliable, hard working, and smart and puts you at a massive advantage compared to other applicants who don’t have one. So you’ll be first priority for most jobs so that’s a yay so I don’t think it’s a hard life when you’re born with a decent brain to use. Does it hurt to think? I have no idea what it’s like to be smart. Is it exhausting like running marathons?

I don't have the degree yet. I'm just finishing my first year and have two to go. I don't know about people respecting degrees. In my country, Australia, at least in the areas I've lived, a lot of people find degrees to be a sign that you're impractical and can't handle hard work. Better to leave it off the resume at a lot of places.

I'm not "smart", I just happen to think in a very analytical manner that's well suited to maths and programming. Came with the trade-off that I'm terrible at socializing and relating to other people, and am riddled with depression and anxiety. My interests make me utterly uninteresting to most women as well. If I was smart I would have gotten my s**t together young instead of wasting my prime years doing bugger-all. The point is that a lot of people are incapable of ever pursuing a STEM career, so expecting them to do so is just ridiculous. What we need is to transition away from this idea of "work or starve", because there's going to be less and less work that actually needs to be done.

Yah well that’s up to the academic politicians to find jobs for people who can’t handle stem.

“ people find degrees to be a sign that you're impractical and can't handle hard work. ”

How does that make sense lol? If you stick it out and do a four year degree that demonstrates that you’re able to keep up with the workload and have the intellect to be competent so I don’t get how that means you’re not a hard worker? What’s hard work to you? Do you mean manual labor? Impractical? Uh think it means your practical because valuing yourself and your education and your future is a sign of self respect and maturity so that’s very practical.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 11:10 am

Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Fnord wrote:
badRobot wrote:
STEM itself doesn't make you immune to unemployment. STEM just correlates with ability to constantly learn the whole time you work, as soon as you stop learning, you are left in the dust. This mindset is what should be adopted in high school education and other fields.

In a technological society, a STEM degree betters the odds of getting a job than a HASS degree, and any degree is far better at increasing the odds of acquiring employment than no degree at all.

If ours was a philosophical society instead, the situation between STEM and HASS degrees might be reversed; but having no degree at all would still minimize one's chances for employment.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't have the aptitude for STEM. It just requires a certain logical and abstract way of thinking that many people don't have. I'm a mature-age student studying CS who comes from years of manual labor and I'm running rings around some of these kids fresh out of school simply because I get it in a way that they don't. I also genuinely enjoy programming, learning new mathematical concepts and finding ways to apply them to solve problems. A lot of the other students just find it boring. They're never going to do well in a STEM career, and quite frankly there's nowhere near enough STEM jobs available anyway. Getting past the entry-level bottleneck is extremely difficult for many.

Yah even if you go for a survival job that doesn’t relate to your degree the fact that you have a degree demonstrates that you are reliable, hard working, and smart and puts you at a massive advantage compared to other applicants who don’t have one. So you’ll be first priority for most jobs so that’s a yay so I don’t think it’s a hard life when you’re born with a decent brain to use. Does it hurt to think? I have no idea what it’s like to be smart. Is it exhausting like running marathons?

I don't have the degree yet. I'm just finishing my first year and have two to go. I don't know about people respecting degrees. In my country, Australia, at least in the areas I've lived, a lot of people find degrees to be a sign that you're impractical and can't handle hard work. Better to leave it off the resume at a lot of places.

I'm not "smart", I just happen to think in a very analytical manner that's well suited to maths and programming. Came with the trade-off that I'm terrible at socializing and relating to other people, and am riddled with depression and anxiety. My interests make me utterly uninteresting to most women as well. If I was smart I would have gotten my s**t together young instead of wasting my prime years doing bugger-all. The point is that a lot of people are incapable of ever pursuing a STEM career, so expecting them to do so is just ridiculous. What we need is to transition away from this idea of "work or starve", because there's going to be less and less work that actually needs to be done.

“ people find degrees to be a sign that you're impractical and can't handle hard work. ”

How does that make sense lol? If you stick it out and do a four year degree that demonstrates that you’re able to keep up with the workload and have the intellect to be competent so I don’t get how that means you’re not a hard worker? What’s hard work to you? Do you mean manual labor? Impractical? Uh think it means your practical because valuing yourself and your education and your future is a sign of self respect and maturity so that’s very practical.

You'd be amazed at the amount of people who see absolutely no value in education. They want people who physically work hard and don't think academic types can cut it. When they see a degree on your resume it immediately goes in the bin.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2021, 5:14 pm

Sabreclaw wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Fnord wrote:
badRobot wrote:

You'd be amazed at the amount of people who see absolutely no value in education. They want people who physically work hard and don't think academic types can cut it. When they see a degree on your resume it immediately goes in the bin.

In what field does that happen in?

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 11:17 pm

Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Fnord wrote:
badRobot wrote:

Basically every job I've ever worked. Blue collar stuff, mostly. Lots of small business owners who hire for retail or hospitality won't have anything to do with graduates as well. I've spent my whole life growing up, working with and working for these kinds of people, and hearing it from them you'd swear graduates are the laziest bums ever. They're also the kinds of people you see on Facebook denying climate change, being anti-vaxxers, and just being generally stupid. There's a depressingly high amount of them around. I've been burned enough to know not to mention I'm a uni student when applying for these kinds of jobs.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2021, 11:30 pm

Sabreclaw wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Fnord wrote:
badRobot wrote:

Basically every job I've ever worked. Blue collar stuff, mostly. Lots of small business owners who hire for retail or hospitality won't have anything to do with graduates as well. I've spent my whole life growing up, working with and working for these kinds of people, and hearing it from them you'd swear graduates are the laziest bums ever. They're also the kinds of people you see on Facebook denying climate change, being anti-vaxxers, and just being generally stupid. There's a depressingly high amount of them around. I've been burned enough to know not to mention I'm a uni student when applying for these kinds of jobs.

That’s weird cause a dude I dated was a teacher and he worked in retail and another dude I had one night stands with he had a degree too and he was working hospitality. Weird. Are you a male? Maybe they intimidated by tertiary education? Don’t know why lol.maybe hospitality doesn’t really award them human rights so someone whose tertiary educated might be more prone to know their rights and how to assert themselves to get them. It would be pretty impossible to exploit someone with tertiary education?

I don’t know why people would apply for a blue collar job if they have a degree? Don’t they need an apprenticeship?

Retail is probably mostly uni students.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2021, 11:38 pm

Sabreclaw wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Fnord wrote:
badRobot wrote:

I think they would all get preference over me for any job because they could learn it all faster. But yah if you’ve got a degree you’re probably going to apply for jobs that are relevant to your degree? Aka you don’t have to go on many job interviews for health care because they give you placement. But different for reception though.

If they can drive they get their pick of jobs. If you have any degree in anything you probably could be a nanny without doing any certificates in that. Or be a taxi,Uber,delivery driver that’s not as exhausting as cleaning if they are too exhausted after studying.barista is just standing in one spot and making coffees. If you’re smart you’d pick it up in a day or two? Heaps of jobs they can get. If you have your own car you can easily get a porn shop job.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 7:37 am

overeducation is a long-time problem here in amuuurica. back in my dad's time [1960s] he had people working for him who had masters degrees in social work but couldn't find jobs in their field, so they became woodworkers in my dad's shop.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 9:56 am

Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Fnord wrote:
badRobot wrote:

I think they would all get preference over me for any job because they could learn it all faster. But yah if you’ve got a degree you’re probably going to apply for jobs that are relevant to your degree? Aka you don’t have to go on many job interviews for health care because they give you placement. But different for reception though.

If they can drive they get their pick of jobs. If you have any degree in anything you probably could be a nanny without doing any certificates in that. Or be a taxi,Uber,delivery driver that’s not as exhausting as cleaning if they are too exhausted after studying.barista is just standing in one spot and making coffees. If you’re smart you’d pick it up in a day or two? Heaps of jobs they can get. If you have your own car you can easily get a porn shop job.

A degree doesn't guarantee you a job. In fact most professional industries have an entry-level bottleneck that is extremely hard to get through without connections. Fact is a lot of people can get a degree, even STEM, and find themselves unable to break into the field. And so, so many jobs refuse to hire anyone who doesn't have 1-2 years of industry-relevant experience and has the references to prove it. Pouring coffee is a stupidly easy job, but try telling that to the people hiring since they seem to think it requires several years experience. Same with retail. Most of the unskilled jobs will only hire teenagers who work for cheap, or people with prior experience. The job market is really f****d these days. The easiest way to bypass this is to get a recommendation from people already working there. Unfortunately, that requires knowing people, and a lot of us on the spectrum have pretty small social circles.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 11:58 am

it is little more than a racket.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 12:04 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Fnord wrote:
We do not need more legislation; we do not need more laws, more regulations, and more guidelines.

We need more educated people to fill the jobs for which only educated people can qualify.

What would be the problem with, say, a little more government funding for trade schools, as well as for higher education? I think that's the sort of thing kraftkortie is calling for, not new regulations.

Not everyone can excel at academics, so it's good to have alternatives requiring other kinds of skills.

Personally I think thats a bad idea because providing more funding for trade schools and colleges would raise taxes and inflation.Also what type of funding are you talking.....totally free higher education or more student loans because more student loans would just increase the cost of tuition even further.We would not be able to compete as a country economically if we had total "free" higher education plus it would dilute the value of a degree and reduce wages for tradesmen and college grads.However,I think the schools need to promote the trades a lot more.We dont have the money for any more funding for higher education.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 12:11 pm

if you don't help people afford an education, they simply won't. life gets in the way when there just isn't enough fundage. if one is willing to just write off these people as "riffraff" then where will be be as a society? as it is, we're basically a third world nation with smartphones. if business refuses to step up to help somehow, if they just continue to fold their arms arrogantly and say "get smart or else" then nothing good will happen.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 12:24 pm

auntblabby wrote:
if you don't help people afford an education, they simply won't. life gets in the way when there just isn't enough fundage. if one is willing to just write off these people as "riffraff" then where will be be as a society? as it is, we're basically a third world nation with smartphones. if business refuses to step up to help somehow, if they just continue to fold their arms arrogantly and say "get smart or else" then nothing good will happen.

Well I do agree that the cost of higher education is way out of hand but we dont have any extra money to spend on education.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 12:36 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Well I do agree that the cost of higher education is way out of hand but we dont have any extra money to spend on education.

then things will not improve and likely will continue to deteriorate at a quickening pace. horatio alger ain't gonna work here. i frankly would look for an exit to the coming dystopia here even if it means i have to learn spanish in my new country. and frankly, when you say "there's no money for education" but at the same time continue to be a booster for our obscene MIC, there is a disconnect there, because you're not gonna get those employees in those jobs without educating them first, and if they can't afford that education, nobody will fill those jobs except for foreigners whose respective nations are not so penny-wise and pound-foolish as to skimp on educating their populaces.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 12:57 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

then things will not improve and likely will continue to deteriorate at a quickening pace. horatio alger ain't gonna work here. i frankly would look for an exit to the coming dystopia here even if it means i have to learn spanish in my new country. and frankly, when you say "there's no money for education" but at the same time continue to be a booster for our obscene MIC, there is a disconnect there, because you're not gonna get those employees in those jobs without educating them first, and if they can't afford that education, nobody will fill those jobs except for foreigners whose respective nations are not so penny-wise and pound-foolish as to skimp on educating their populaces.

Well how would you pay for more education....more quantitative easing?I actually am very against the military industrial complex if thats what MIC means but at the same time I think our first priority as a nation first and foremost is making sure we have the strongest military in the world in all areas because the country may not survive if you dont do that.I hate endless war.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 09 Nov 2021, 1:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 12:58 pm

As long as money for education is considered an "extra", there will be no money set aside for education.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 1:14 pm

if one wants "the strongest military in the world," one has cast one's lot with the MIC and its obscene tax-payer-funded bloat. as it is we spend more on our MIC than the next 10 countries combined. that is not sustainable, if we don't take care of our own citizens then we won't have the human resources necessary to keep our country afloat even if we do have "the strongest military in the world."