Page 5 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 1:17 pm

What STEM skills are learned at a university that can't be learned through online bootcamps or even books?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 1:19 pm

What online bootcamps or books will confer an accredited degree upon successful completion?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 1:32 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
What STEM skills are learned at a university that can't be learned through online bootcamps or even books?

I dont think theres bootcamps for petroleum engineering college level work and even if there was they would not get you hired so thats one example.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 1:51 pm

Something to think about: every time you go to a store and use the self checkout you are contributing to a person losing their job to automation.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 1:56 pm

Aspinator wrote:
Something to think about: every time you go to a store and use the self checkout you are contributing to a person losing their job to automation.
Same thing for self-driving taxis.  Every time you use one, you help put another taxi driver out of work.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 2:06 pm

Fnord wrote:
Aspinator wrote:
Same thing for self-driving taxis.  Every time you use one, you help put another taxi driver out of work.

wait there's already self-driving taxis?Where are they.I did not know self-driving cars were that far along

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 2:08 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Aspinator wrote:
wait there's already self-driving taxis?Where are they.I did not know self-driving cars were that far along
 Coming Soon 

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 2:45 pm

in amuurica, the best future possible with current trends, is "bread and circuses."

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 2:57 pm

auntblabby wrote:
in amuurica, the best future possible with current trends, is "bread and circuses."

Ya i agree that its prolly mostly downhill from here for the US.The American Dream is dead.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 1:13 pm

I was referring to IT/programming skills.

The current housing trends tell the whole story: If you don't have a 6-figure salary, enjoy Red State America.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 2:10 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

The current housing trends tell the whole story: If you don't have a 6-figure salary, enjoy Red State America.

Ya good point but theres some blue states like New Mexico where you dont have to make 6 figures to live there.Also,some red states have areas where there's a a lot of 6 figure earners.I am a high-income earner and I would rather live in Texas than a blue state but hey thats just me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 5:42 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Ya good point but theres some blue states like New Mexico where you dont have to make 6 figures to live there.Also,some red states have areas where there's a a lot of 6 figure earners.I am a high-income earner and I would rather live in Texas than a blue state but hey thats just me.

NM's economy is horrible, plus nearly everybody with the same interests lives in either NYC, the SF Bay Area or Seattle, cities of which I can't afford.

I can't flee to another country unless I have a marketable skill (my degree is in geography, plus the tech skills I have were not learned in a formal college/university setting) or I marry someone who lives there.

There aren't enough educated white people in Texas to make a difference politically. POC have been shut out of the voting process, and uneducated whites are in complete lock-step with Abbott and Trump.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 8:10 pm

^^^if i were you i'd try south puget sound [washington state] outside of the major cities [esp. outside tacoma, olympia], you will find something affordable here, though you will have to commute a good distance for work [like an hour, chances are]. i do hope you consider it.