Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Aspieangeldude
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Oct 2021, 5:42 pm

I plan eventually to leave my current assembly job and move on to making comic books with my talents. First though, I gotta make sure I’m ready which I agree 100% and I need feedback on how to know when that will be

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 1:54 am

I'm in a similar position, but I'm a freelancer, it is much easier to gradually transition from one field to another.

I think you are ready when you have:
- FU fund for some months of comfortable life in case something goes wrong with your new venture
- a very good deal with a publisher and/or enough loyal followers who would buy your art
- at least 50% of your first project complete, I would make it 100% to be sure

Ideally I would not quit, but work on my first project in my free time and then take a vacation + unpaid leave or something for final publishing stage and send a notice only when it's a sure thing but some people have more chances to succeed when there is no way back.

Another important lesson I've learned is you have to make your health one of your highest priorities while you are doing it. Even if it feels like you need to put more time into your work, you should never ever do it at expense of working out and proper recreation in natural environment, this is what makes you productive.