Getting feedback from my last job

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Niktereuto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2023, 11:14 am

Next week I'm starting a new job after four months unemployed. At a certain point, I think I didn't do well in my last job because they didn't renew my contract. My ex-boss told me that there wasn't enough budget for 2023 to renew my contract, but if it were, they would have renewed it.
I didn't tell them in my last job that I'm autistic. I don't want to make the same errors in my new job. I know I have some opportunity areas —multitasking is one of them. So I'm thinking to send an email to my ex-boss to thank her for the support I received when I worked there, to tell her I'm autistic, and to request her feedback.
She was very supportive when I worked for her, and I trust her to tell her now. Also, I'm not planning to return to that company for many years, so I think it won't be a problem if I disclose.

Is this a good idea?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2023, 4:38 pm

It’s not a terrible idea. If you think she will give you valuable feedback then it may be very worth it. Gotta be prepared to not get a response or to burn a bridge of she’s put off by it and would never rehire you.

But if you phrase things professionally, it may be a good thing.

Tell her you’re mildly on the spectrum and that feedback about your job performance and things you can focus on improving would be very helpful to you in your next role and see if/how she responds.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2023, 4:55 pm

I doubt very much you would get honest feedback from your last employer. If they told you why they didn't renew your contract and it had anything to do with your performance, thy would open themselves to a potential lawsuit for discrimination. That's why people get dismissed without cause or employers cite budget concerns.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 7:43 am

No.

Niktereuto

14 Apr 2023, 9:08 am

DanielW wrote:
I doubt very much you would get honest feedback from your last employer. If they told you why they didn't renew your contract and it had anything to do with your performance, thy would open themselves to a potential lawsuit for discrimination. That's why people get dismissed without cause or employers cite budget concerns.

After thinking about it, you're right.
Even if my intention isn't that, they could misunderstand it.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2023, 7:53 am

The right thing to do is contact this person and ask them if they can be a positive reference for you. You may have to let them know who is calling to inquire about your work history though.

Niktereuto

28 Apr 2023, 12:42 am

PLOT TWIST: My ex-boss contacted me today to offer me, for the third time, a job in the company.
I don't know if it's okay to accept it considering that they have offered me the same position twice and didn't hire me for "economic reasons".

I'm not sure if they are really interested in me, or if they are using me to complete the necessary candidates to make a "fair" hiring process for the chosen one.

I have already a job, but I liked more my last job than the one I have at this moment, except for the sensory issues.
My last job was full of sensory stimuli. My current workplace is so calm that I feel at ease there. But my current job is a service job, and I have to be in contact with people all day —and that's exhausting— and in my last job, it's more technical, meaning fewer people.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2023, 12:05 pm

Niktereuto wrote:
PLOT TWIST: My ex-boss contacted me today to offer me, for the third time, a job in the company.
I don't know if it's okay to accept it considering that they have offered me the same position twice and didn't hire me for "economic reasons".

I'm not sure if they are really interested in me, or if they are using me to complete the necessary candidates to make a "fair" hiring process for the chosen one.

I have already a job, but I liked more my last job than the one I have at this moment, except for the sensory issues.
My last job was full of sensory stimuli. My current workplace is so calm that I feel at ease there. But my current job is a service job, and I have to be in contact with people all day —and that's exhausting— and in my last job, it's more technical, meaning fewer people.

Something's lost in translation here.

If they offer you a job, it's yours to accept or decline. How could they offer it twice before but then not hire you? :? Either they offered you a job or they didn't.

That aside, if you want the job there and they actually give it to you and some sort of assurance that it's long term then take it. But make it clear to them that you are currently gainfully employed and fairly content where you are and will only be quitting your job to join their company if they're going to legit give you a job/pay you want and then keep you on working. If they can't give you a reasonable pay scale nor any sort of guarantee that the job is long term permanent, then maybe say thanks but no thanks I have a job I'm good with at the moment and stay where you are.