Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 12:47 pm

I probably not alone here but I really can't understand why I can't appreciate myself and be satisfied with the job I am working in right now and be envious of those who are the same age as me or younger that are in different professions than me. I think the reason I become quite green when I hear of someone who is 23 and already a successful business-man or woman and leaves me feeling like ''Why wasn't I at that stage ?''. To be honest even though I feel like that, you may probably advise me to stop watching for example The Apprentice where they have contestants who are probably already fully fledged business men and women at 19, but I watch because I want to see how they sometimes make fools of themselves during certain tasks and do things that make you cringe. I don't quite know the reasons are for this envy I have and not accept the fact that what they are doing is not what I want to do and that being someone like them with a nice suit and tie doesn't make you more superior and important.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 1:41 pm

They're all in debt and they're faking it. That Range Rover they have. It's a lease

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 1:48 pm

Not many people in their 20s are successful entrepreneurs.....trust me.

It's VERY hard to own a business these days during COVID. I see many places in what would be "prime" business locations having had "for sale" for many years.

There's a place that used to be a Blockbuster Video that has been vacant since I moved in my neighborhood 12 years ago.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 3:17 pm

I someone answering a similar question to this, saying that it could because if the young entrepreneur succeeds, it means that they probably will be more successful at a younger age. This hurts older people's pride and ego.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 3:24 pm

Hustle bros get no respect from a lot of older people. They just roll their eyes at them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 3:25 pm

It doesn't hurt my 61-year-old pride.

If it happened more often, and I was one of the few who didn't succeed in that way----maybe I'd feel envious and bad about myself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 3:49 pm

MC Hammer (later known as just Hammer), a rapper-entrepreneur of the late 80s/early 90s, amassed a fortune in the tens of millions of dollars. Within about 2 years, he became bankrupt, and owed MILLIONS in taxes.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 5:13 am

chris1989 wrote:
I probably not alone here but I really can't understand why I can't appreciate myself and be satisfied with the job I am working in right now and be envious of those who are the same age as me or younger that are in different professions than me. I think the reason I become quite green when I hear of someone who is 23 and already a successful business-man or woman and leaves me feeling like ''Why wasn't I at that stage ?''. To be honest even though I feel like that, you may probably advise me to stop watching for example The Apprentice where they have contestants who are probably already fully fledged business men and women at 19, but I watch because I want to see how they sometimes make fools of themselves during certain tasks and do things that make you cringe. I don't quite know the reasons are for this envy I have and not accept the fact that what they are doing is not what I want to do and that being someone like them with a nice suit and tie doesn't make you more superior and important.

It's easy to make money if you feel no guilt, shame, or responsibility. Don't assume all these people are capable and intelligent. They're often just willing to do what others won't.

It's hard to think of many words scarier than entrepreneur.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 9:41 am

I've met a few "entrepreneurs." They have a tendency to be pretty boring people.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2022, 11:48 am

Not all entrepreneurs are successful. Having your own business is feast or famine. Many of the ones that do well, do really well. But the ones that don't, don't.

Many entrepreneurs work 60-70 hour weeks. They have to neglect their family, friends, hobbies, leisure, etc.

And success doesn't happen overnight. It could take numerous failed attempts (trial and error) - at least several years - until they find a successful idea.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2022, 3:57 pm

I'm jealous of them, but not because of money. I'm jealous of other people's ability do achieve.

I sit at home, waste my time on unproductive internet surfing, or other people's activities, like helping out at Scouts. I fill my hours, but none of it gets me anywhere. Every night I look back at another wasted day. I think about doing something, studying something, progressing. Developing personal power. But that requires a goal so as to know what choices to make. Never going to happen.

Then I see these entrepreneurs or university graduates or small business owners or personal trainers or... and yeah, I'm jealous. Oh to be a doer.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 8:15 am

I look at people you get than me driving around in a flashy can and always wonder what their life back home is really like and what they done to get that car.

I think it's natural.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 8:46 am

what i've noticed with entrepreneurs is that they ALL have arm candy. no incels there.

Icyclan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Feb 2022, 9:29 am

chris1989 wrote:

Your mindset is what's holding you back. Instead of envying those who have what you don't, set out and try to achieve the same. You may crash and burn, but you'll never know until you try.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 10:47 am

Most successful entrepreneurs have their greatest business successes after age 40. One major difference is that they’re disciplined and persistent - that’s what gets them there and is more the normal path to success vs some teenaged TikTok influencer that got a lucky break when their goofball video went viral. We’re only hyper aware of young millionaires because of the internet - but they are not the norm and shouldn’t make you feel defeated because you didn’t achieve abc or xyz by the same or younger age. Ignore them, head down, focus on your own work & path and eventually you’ll get there - wherever “there,” is for you.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 8:59 pm

Well I am jealous of billionaire business owners but I am content but being a billionaire would be nice so I can see where you are coming from

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 25 Mar 2022, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.