Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 10:47 pm

This is copypasted from FB, so may contain information I've already shared here before. But I'm asking for advice.

I seriously need to talk to my boss or HR about more involved accommodations for my autism. I've actually done my job rather well overall for the past 4 years. Even with the issues brought on by sensory overload, customers love me and I've gotten promoted in the time I've been here and was even recently taught to do some meticulous paperwork.
But with this remodel the sensory issues are getting really out of hand.

When we had the first half of the remodel a couple months back, the sensory issues were bad enough to send me into a period of severe burnout where I couldn't do anything outside of work but sleep and lie down to rest all the time. Even going to church or sitting at my desk for more than 20 minutes was very difficult. I couldn't do anything I wanted to, only rest.

My very recent diagnosis did come with a few things - the Dr wrote a letter for me to give to my PHP informing them about my diagnosis. And also a letter of accommodations that I can edit to fit my needs. (And a medical card explaining my condition if I ever happen to be too overwhelmed to do so myself.)

The issue is I'm afraid to do what I need to do. I already tried to have a talk with my boss about my needs and I just ended up downplaying everything to the point that the talk was pointless. I didn't want to tell her about my inward extreme irritation and shut downs that happen in relation to sensory overload, because I don't want her to think these make me incapable of doing my job.

I'm beginning to seriously think I need to look into getting a different job that won't trigger my neurology so much

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 12:49 pm

Well, I got the letter from my Dr all prepped and dropped it off at work after church. I assume we'll have a discussion about it tomorrow when I come in.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2023, 9:46 pm

I don't get physical accommodations, nor do I need any of them. My office, my computer and the electric and non-electric equipments, and atministrative storage are all okay. They don't have to be changed.

There are organizational accommodations. I don't want them, but I get them, where I want them or not. Those accomodations are "necessary" because of my autism. I want to work independently, based on a school year schedule (going from August every year to July the next year). Based on that schedule there is work that has to be done by me and other colleagues. I have an Executive Secretary diploma. Parts of the course is office management and organisation. It's about planning, based on that planning there are goals that must be achieved and there is work, that will be divided over the colleagues. In my situations there is a planning, but the steps between planning, goals and procedures are hidden for me. I am not allowed to ask what these steps are. That does give me a bad vibe.

Instead my boss wants that other co-workers and he himself prompts to do tasks. Those tasks are pretty tiny and can't be broken down to smaller tasks. He thinks more complex tasks are too complicated for me. An autistic can't handle that, he thinks. He doesn't want to listen to me, because 25 years ago things went wrong. He lacks new insights.

Therefore no information or background of my tasks. He and administrative colleagues wants to do the organising of my tasks, I am not allowed to do the organising and ask the background of my tasks. But he sometimes complains that I don't know much about the organisation. But I am not allowed to ask anything about it. He refused to let me advance. "You will make mistakes like in the past, and we can't afford that." But he allowes other colleagues to make mistakes and they will be coached, but I am not allowed. If I make a mistake, he says: "We take you from this task. A more accurate co-worker will do this from now on." I don't get a job coach. The current tasks I do without any errors. There never are complaints. A co-worker said: "Theory is nice, but you are not experienced." There is no way to get experience. Other colleagues are allowed to grow experienced, because they are allowed to make mistakes and learn. I am not. My boss diagnosed me with a learning disorder. So he will get money from the government because of the disability, and he doesn't have to do anything.

But I will soon tell him that I am sick of this type of discrimination and deception and I will sue previous bosses. I don't want those "accommodations anymore".

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2023, 6:31 pm

My boss came back from vacation yesterday and told me that the accommodations don't really change much as most of the things on the list we were already doing on some level. (Mainly I wanted it to be official and legally binding.) So we talked about how the extra breaks will work, basically if I feel like I'm having a bad day then I can split my normal break up into several breaks and take them as needed.

She also said she knew I was autistic when she hired me, she could tell even though I had no idea. And that in any other job I wouldn't have the opportunities that I have here due to my autism and the stigma surrounding employees who have it. She tries her best to make sure that I'm able to succeed and have opportunities for growth.

I feel like she's more or less correct in all that. I've often thought that I wouldn't want to work in another job that would likely have a bad work environment.