Working freelance, editing and writing

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 6:21 am

KitLily wrote:
However now I work for myself as a freelance editor. Editing is a very, very good job for autists btw!! ! It allows us to perfect things, work with defined rules, limit time with people, work quietly alone etc...

Ok, so this thread is mainly for KitLily but by all means chime in if you have anything to add.

I wanted to ask about your job KitLily. I think you've said in the past that you edit fiction books - I remember that because it's something I've always wanted to do. But I may be wrong.

So I'm freelance too and I agree that it suits people like us well. I'm certainly much happier than when I worked in an office and although it's isolating, most of the time that's a good thing for me.

I used to edit magazines, as well as writing for them. These days I'm writing rather than editing.

The thing is that I have a ton of free time too and would like to diversify. A long time ago I made some efforts to get into editing fiction, because fiction is what I love best. I thought I could be a novelist for a while. I wrote a novel but it wasn't very good. I'd still like to be involved in that industry though, even if I'm not going to be a writer.

When I tried to break into it, I very much got the impression that it's a 'who you know, not what you know' type of business. And networking and first impressions really aren't my strong suit.

I was wondering then, how you got into doing what you do now? What's the route into it?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 12:41 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
KitLily wrote:
However now I work for myself as a freelance editor. Editing is a very, very good job for autists btw!! ! It allows us to perfect things, work with defined rules, limit time with people, work quietly alone etc...

The thing is that I have a ton of free time too and would like to diversify. A long time ago I made some efforts to get into editing fiction, because fiction is what I love best. I thought I could be a novelist for a while. I wrote a novel but it wasn't very good. I'd still like to be involved in that industry though, even if I'm not going to be a writer.

When I tried to break into it, I very much got the impression that it's a 'who you know, not what you know' type of business. And networking and first impressions really aren't my strong suit.

I was wondering then, how you got into doing what you do now? What's the route into it?

Hi DuckHairback I finally found you.

So one thing I did was start an account on a Freelancing site. I used People Per Hour. I advertised my editing on there and after a little while someone hired me. That site used to be very good but unfortunately they now insist you earn a certain amount before they pay you, and it takes months to get the money. They used to pay you instantly but they've screwed that up. So I don't recommend that site anymore but there are loads of other freelance websites. Try and find a UK one because then they pay you in £££.

I had quite a few one off clients but I have two who I've been working with for about 4 years, lovely guys. If you're good, they will stick with you.

Secondly, I did write books and published them with an indie company. The books were okay, not very popular and I decided I didn't like 'selling myself' and constantly marketing and schmoozing to sell them. As you know I'm not good at schmoozing, as most autists aren't.

But anyway, after I gave up writing I asked my publisher if they needed an editor. So they gave me a test and I got hired by them. They value my precision, lack of office politics and good time keeping. All good qualities of an autist eh?

After I'd got a few clients I set up my own editors website with Weebly and got a big client through that (as well as LOTS of spam). Because I had lots of good references on my site from my PPH and publishing clients.

The other major thing I did was a Proofreading Course with the Publishing Training Company, which is their starter course. You move onto the Editors Course. I haven't moved on to that yet due to lack of time, the courses are VERY demanding but worth it.

It is all due to persistence. I started out as an editor in 2018.

I recommend that you start with the Proofreading Course. As I say it is demanding but you get a tutor and it is very well worth it because it gives you confidence to start out.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 1:48 pm

What if the material you're proofreading isn't interesting to you? I find it difficult to focus for long periods of time as it is, but if I'm uninterested then it's even worse. Plus I don't like reading much.

I like working around people too.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2023, 5:11 pm

Joe90 wrote:
What if the material you're proofreading isn't interesting to you? I find it difficult to focus for long periods of time as it is, but if I'm uninterested then it's even worse. Plus I don't like reading much.

I assume this would be a recommended consideration for those who are interested in the process and the accomplishment, rather than the entertainment value of reading a good book.

I have a friend who wrote several books. Hopeless at spelling and grammar. After purchasing his first book and suffering through reading it, I took a graphite pencil and 'edited' it. I turned the results into a pdf file and emailed it to him. He made excuses and said he was already onto it.

After acquiring his next book and seeing the same problems, I decided to stay out of it.

I love the process, though my skills aren't up to the task in a professional capacity. Mostly just Dunning Kruger issues on my part. But the point is, I enjoy the process. It matches my traits. That isn't going to be the case for all of us.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 5:27 pm

Well I do get upset when I see a typo of any sort, but I only notice typos when I'm reading, not when skimming.
I think if it were to be my profession I'd probably get bored. Unless maybe I was doing it in a busy office with lots of trafficking. But then I'd probably become easily distracted and find myself talking instead of working. But working on my own causes it's own problems for me too; the loneliness and boredom can cause executive functioning issues.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 5:39 pm

Thanks KitLily for answering my questions, that's given me plenty to think about.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2023, 3:01 am

Joe90 wrote:

Then editing and proofreading is not the right job for you.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2023, 3:09 am

DoniiMann wrote:
I assume this would be a recommended consideration for those who are interested in the process and the accomplishment, rather than the entertainment value of reading a good book.

I have a friend who wrote several books...

I love the process, though my skills aren't up to the task in a professional capacity. Mostly just Dunning Kruger issues on my part. But the point is, I enjoy the process. It matches my traits. That isn't going to be the case for all of us.

You are right DoniiMann. I love correcting, perfecting, adjusting words til they are clear and make sense. I often get books and articles I'm not particularly interested in but they pay me money that I need to live on, I have to just get on with it. You have to start with anything and everything you can get, then gradually niche it down to focus on working with genres and types of writing you do like. After 5 years most pieces I edit are ones I enjoy.

You are also right that it isn't the case for all autistic people, obviously. The stereotyped autistic person loves computers, statistics, numbers. I have very little clue about any of that.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2023, 3:11 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Thanks KitLily for answering my questions, that's given me plenty to think about.

You're welcome, I'm glad it helped you! I do suggest taking a proofreading and/or editing course to start with.

That advice goes for anyone interested in proofreading and editing- take a course first!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2023, 3:16 am

Joe90 wrote:
Well I do get upset when I see a typo of any sort, but I only notice typos when I'm reading, not when skimming.
I think if it were to be my profession I'd probably get bored. Unless maybe I was doing it in a busy office with lots of trafficking. But then I'd probably become easily distracted and find myself talking instead of working. But working on my own causes it's own problems for me too; the loneliness and boredom can cause executive functioning issues.

Actually there is a type of editing called Developmental Editing where you read books and focus on the story- does it make sense? Could it be improved? Are the characters realistic? etc.

You don't focus on grammar, punctuation, spelling but the actual plot, characters etc. of the book and how they can be improved.

It does get lonely working alone at home but I'm used to it now. I can't focus with lots of people running round me anyway, I need quiet. When I'm deep into a story e.g. sci fi or romance, it's hard to be suddenly jerked out of the story-world by someone asking about the weather or something. My husband and daughter now know not to interrupt me while I'm working or they get no sense out of me.

It's like when you're deeply into watching a great film and the phone rings and interrupts you. Annoying.