Falsifying occupational credentials

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 11:55 am

What are some examples of people that you have heard of that successfully falsified occupational credentials and gotten jobs?

What are some examples of bad things that your coworkers allegedly got away with doing?

SomethingGenuine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2023, 1:41 am

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. IMO someone will find out eventually.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2023, 1:43 am

SomethingGenuine wrote:
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. IMO someone will find out eventually.

Do you know how many times your resume gets looked at after you're hired? Never, unless you give them cause to.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2023, 1:50 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
What are some examples of people that you have heard of that successfully falsified occupational credentials and gotten jobs?
A presidential candidate claiming, "I'm, like, a smart person.  My two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.  I have a very, very large brain."
What are some examples of bad things that your coworkers allegedly got away with doing?
Stealing from the employer, sleeping on the job, getting drunk on the job, clocking in and then going to the golf course, and having sex on company time.

Did you know that employers can track the location of the company-owned cell phone you carry in your pocket?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2023, 4:10 pm

My 91 year old great aunt became a switchboard operator for a phone company decades ago by saying she had operated a switchboard before but this one was a little different than the one she was used to so she'd need to be shown a few things. They trained her on it, it was simple, she did fine and they never knew it was the first time she'd done that job. She simply recognized that plugging cables into a switchboard to connect phone calls was not a complicated task and that she could learn to do it very quickly so told the little white lie necessary to be given the opportunity. Things like that are harmless.

A movie set carpenter instructor I had said when the producer asked who could run a bulldozer to move some dirt for a scene he raised his hand and said he could And suggested they use some substitute material that was lighter weight than dirt for safety reasons. I can't recall the material. Anyways, he'd never operated a bulldozer before.. but they're not all that different from forklifts and telehandlers and other equipments' controls, so, he hopped in and figured out which switches and levers did what and moved the material for the scene. Not sure I'd wanna do that one.. because if you mess up, oh boy.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2023, 7:13 am

Not sure if this answers your questions but at my work the boss (who isn't there any more) took on an inexperienced young lad to be our supervisor, just because they go out for drinks together. The interview was even done over a pint in the pub. The other guy that went for it (his interview was held professionally at the office) had been working for the company for a few years and was willing and organised and had experience in a supervisor position. But without hesitation the boss gave the supervisor job to the incompetent young lad, without any training. And ever since he's been our supervisor the place has not been ran properly at all and he can't cope, all he does is be rude to people and not do the duties he's required to do as a supervisor.

I'm not saying they should discriminate, I mean it would be understandable if the boss had given the young guy a chance by giving him a job with less pressure to start with, like cleaning or something. But to give someone like him a supervisor job just because they're 'drinking buddies' is not right in my opinion.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2023, 9:32 am

Two words: George Santos

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DogOfJudah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2023, 2:34 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm not saying they should discriminate, I mean it would be understandable if the boss had given the young guy a chance by giving him a job with less pressure to start with, like cleaning or something. But to give someone like him a supervisor job just because they're 'drinking buddies' is not right in my opinion.

The joys of nepotism. The quote, "It's not what you know, it's who you know". Irks me to an unfathomable level.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 4:25 pm

DogOfJudah wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

The joys of nepotism. The quote, "It's not what you know, it's who you know". Irks me to an unfathomable level.

How about, it's not what you *do*, it's whom you *do*? :mrgreen:

At home Depot where I have been working for two and a half years, some precious lil "people" get away with all sorts of BS and nothing happens to them, besides getting promoted to assistant store manager, because they are "in" with the boss

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 4:37 pm

The people I've known who've lied on applications didn't lie about work history, they lied about education. Mostly they said they had less education than they actually did so they could find work. Most places wouldn't hire them before due to being overqualified while they couldn't get jobs with their degrees.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2023, 5:41 pm

Reminds me of a movie I watched as a kid, titled "Sunday too far away". Basically about remote area Australian shearers. The shearers would form a team (let's say 10 shearers), appoint a leader/spokesman (usually the most successful among them), then go work on a remote station (ranch?).
Anyway, this team had a young guy amongst them who claimed he was a shearer. But this kid did a horrible job. Very uneven shearing. Often cutting the sheep. Their leader discovered he was really just a roustabout (general worker in the shed who'd move the shorn wool from the shearers to the sorting area, etc).
The leader wanted to fire him for lying and not being up to standard. But the other workers reminded him that this is how most of them got started. So they told the kid to go slow, be careful, and to leave the more important breeding sheep to the experienced shearers.