Does age always matter in starting a career ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2024, 6:43 pm

I personally seem to think why can't people carry on with doing something until they really can't physically do it anymore. Obviously I do understand for example a 60 year old probably can't become a boxer because of the age but I mean it's in the music industry, film industry etc surely they should have a chance. It just seems to give off the impression you have to be successful and popular only if someone is in their 20s.

I do find it irritating when artists who have been in the industry for maybe 10, 20, 30, 40 or more years (example: Madonna, J Lo) or have only just started at maybe a later age (example: Susan Boyle) get negative ageist reactions. I mean, they may no longer be in their prime, but surely they should still have a chance otherwise it just makes it seem like they can only be successful and attractive at a younger age. Surely it's no fault of those who don't find their voice or true meaning in life at a later stage, I mean what if they struggled or didn't really know what to do at an early age. I seem to think people forget these factors.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2024, 7:03 am

supply and demand, having a good agent, being in the right place at the right time, so many factors go into having a career in entertainment. Having the right connections doesn't help if there are only a few slots for older people (roles in a movie, play, program, etc) . Age matters if you are no longer physically able to do whatever the job takes. Many employers in mainstream jobs may not take a chance on a 65 year old for example, because they figure retirement is on the horizon soon. So many factors besides age come into play. No harm in trying, you will never know, and you might have regrets - shoulda, coulda, woulda, if only. If you try and fail you are no worse off than you were to begin with, but at least you know you tried and you will have an answer to that question. do what is right for you, many people have "made it" switching careers or trying new paths.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

JamesW
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2024, 7:19 am

The Royle Family's Liz Smith didn't become an actor until age 49.

There is a God.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2024, 1:09 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I personally seem to think why can't people carry on with doing something until they really can't physically do it anymore. Obviously I do understand for example a 60 year old probably can't become a boxer because of the age but I mean it's in the music industry, film industry etc surely they should have a chance. It just seems to give off the impression you have to be successful and popular only if someone is in their 20s.

I do find it irritating when artists who have been in the industry for maybe 10, 20, 30, 40 or more years (example: Madonna, J Lo) or have only just started at maybe a later age (example: Susan Boyle) get negative ageist reactions. I mean, they may no longer be in their prime, but surely they should still have a chance otherwise it just makes it seem like they can only be successful and attractive at a younger age. Surely it's no fault of those who don't find their voice or true meaning in life at a later stage, I mean what if they struggled or didn't really know what to do at an early age. I seem to think people forget these factors.

What career is it that you want to start?

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2024, 3:08 pm

rse92 wrote:
chris1989 wrote:

What career is it that you want to start?

I'd probably become a writer or author. I seem it was something I've aspiring to be for some years now even though I did art and design at school, college and university but in the end I lost interest in that. I also did business studies and IT in sixth form but didn't seem to find that interesting. I seem to think I've decided to go back to the interests I had as a kid and maybe write about topics like animals and nature or history. There were times when I produced written work for a book in the past but my ideas may change or not feel satisfied for the outcome, I'd throw away the original stuff and then decide to go back to the drawing board.

I sometimes feel bad for not showing much interest in business studies and seem to think everyone now wants to set up their own business and seem to think those who did business studies with me knew what they wanted to do and are now full fledged business men and women.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 12:14 pm

Whatever it is you need to decide and then get serious really soon.

JamesW
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Today, 12:59 am

chris1989 wrote:
I'd probably become a writer or author. I seem it was something I've aspiring to be for some years now even though I did art and design at school, college and university but in the end I lost interest in that.

I am a writer on the side. I didn't start until age 56. I've had about fifteen articles published. I write for zines, so I don't get paid, but that's not why I do it. I've also written a book, and I had a professional publishing deal for it, but I had to decide not to publish it yet, as it's non-fiction and there would have been legal issues around it.

It all started with a long conversation I had one day with a journalist. I wouldn't call it an infodump, as he was as interested in the subject as I was. He encouraged me to start writing it all down, and to submit it.

So: think of the thing(s) you're really interested in, and write something. See what happens.

Don't worry about your age, 'having missed out', and all that I prefer to think of as neurotypical artificial competitive rubbish. Life is not a race. It is a journey. Everything happens at the right time.

Good luck.

There is a God.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 1:46 am

Why not write as a hobby? You may find that if you have to write every day, you won't like it.
A lot of people have boring day jobs to support a hobby.

Sorry to give you the bad news, but writing articles, books, and being a journalist is a job folks used to do.
I played golf with someone who used to be in newspapers twenty years ago last September on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. He saw the writing on the wall that said to get out before the Internet took his job.
He got another job, worked twenty years, and retired a year ago to play golf!
So, there is some good news! He started another job and was able to retire to play golf!

Book sales are slightly higher than the used to but there are twice as many titles competing for that money.
If you take away Romance Novels, the picture looks bleak.
You could be a Romance Novel author if you can write a novel every year.
That is the secret. A constant flow of new titles. As I said, a job.
Publishers need new titles as they can't carry inventory from year to year.
Much more money with new titles every year. It could be a grind to do that.

There are plenty of places that will take your writing if you don't need the money.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 1:50 am

Mysogny runs rampant when dissing successful females.

The best example is TaylorSwift. She has been around for a Generation! Her fans bring their kids!
So they put her down as too old! She just made a billion dollars! Clearly she is not too old for her fans.
She just came to Europe and set more records for attendance!

When I last had my hair cut the stylist said she didn't know a single person who worked in the same place for fifteen years. Nobody! Everyone changes jobs today.

When I changed insurance companies for my house someone came out and inspected it!
I had to sign a disclaimer that I was not running a plant growing business!
I grow flowering plants as a hobby, not a business.
But, I get asked that question all the time! :D

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 7:06 am

If you really want to be a writer, and if you can accept a bit of constructive well-intentioned criticism, you have to start writing with the active voice instead of the passive voice which permeates your posts. For instance, scrub the phrase "seem to think" from your vocabulary.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 7:19 am

I can't say that age ever matters, unless of course it's a Hollywood acting job where they're trying to hook a certain demographic as the audience using sex appeal.

Age wouldn't matter for a writer. Get writing. My daughter and I have both published. No one asks how old we are, or even knows. You could use a pen name too so you're anonymous.