Yesterday (From Angry to Calm - a Pleasant Suprise)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 12:50 pm

I work at a convienance/pharmacy called CVS in my area. I went into work on truck day as usual instead of the usual girl I work with who everyday has some really bad story (her husband racked up tickets under her license, she gets in all these car crashes none of them her fault, and etc stories that don't stand up to scrunity) of somethnig that happened to her I had a guy named Larry who I know and figured it'd be an easy day I could do what I need to do without interuptions then finish and have my usual brand of fun of hplayfully harrassing workers and having fun. Compared to the others at my job if I put 50% I put out more then their 100%. So as it turns out I'm the only person working truck and expected to finish 40 trays by myself in 7 hours. I sighed and thought "typical"

As I work one of the shift supervisors just starts dumping trays in my aisle. Iwas like ok sandy I got some of your stuff" shes like "oh no I'm leaving don't worry about it". This of course will mean next week I will pick out all her stuff from my trays in advance dump it in her aisle and see how she likes it. As I'm working I notice every hour Larry coming into my aisle. It startsgetting me annoyed as I'm like if he don't think I'm going to complete it to his satisfaction then he should be jumping on the trays in the other aisles. So I continue working as usual and worked hard as usual. I talked to the pharmacist a bit cause I wanted to see if he had any knowledge of AS and see if he knew if they tried to heavily medicate people with it. I am going to see if I have AS soon and really if they constantly try to talk me into medication I will not take it and leave their program.

I'm working and he talks to Tom about some stuff that apparently I'm not supposed to know about as Laryr puts up his hand and in a very aggressive tone says "Don't Listen!". I had anger build up inside me while I have fun and treat people good I do not accept people giving me harsh tones for no reason. So as I thought about it I was not in a state to deal with the situation so I let time pass so I could cool down. I worked 39 trays by myself with no help. I figured they could do the last tray since I was tired and its time to go home. Earlier in the day I took my acting final and I was on a shoot with guys from school for most of the afternoon before after classes. I only had about 5 hours of sleep.

So I approached larry as he was about to leave and I asked to talk privately with him. He said "now ?!" I was like " yea we need to talk". He asked "About someone in the store?" and I was like "yes we need to talk about me and you" so we went upstairs and for some reason I was all prepared to have an arguement thinknig it was how the talk would end up. So I asked him " Just to be sure have I ever been untoward or disrespectful to you in anyway." He said " no you've treated me with the upmost respect" so I continued with " well I think your tone today was disrespectful to me as I found it very offensive as I am one of the most hard working people in the store ; I know everyone has their thnigs that frustrate them in the store and outside of it but I think I deserve more then that." Then the script was flipped on me as he went "I'm very sorry you felt that way I did not mean to offend you in anyway. I have nothing but the upmost respect for you." So we end the discussion on good terms and all.

So I thought with this as we all have encounters with bad bosses and such that I though I should bring out this pleasent suprise. In this case he was simply unaware of his tone and agreed to watch his tone when hes frustrated or upset" he explained his frustations of course none of them having to do with me. In the end I think its good to share a example of when a boss doesn't act stereotypical and shows real honor and likeability. Myself I gained alot of respect for him on this day does anybody have stories like this in their own life about bosses.

ssenkrad
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Dec 2007, 7:42 pm

Well played. If you reacted the way most NTs would have, it could have turned into an argument, or worse yet, a grudge.

kornik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2007, 2:41 am

Yes, well done!

I think the key here is that you showed him some respect first.

This is something that I have not always been prone to do with people I dislike at work.

What usually triggers problemns with me is that they have attacked me first which I feel is unjustified. It antagonises my sense of fairness.

Countering it requires keeping your cool and focusing on facts only - which is what you did.

Well done again.

Abangyarudo wrote:
I work at a convienance/pharmacy called CVS in my area. I went into work on truck day as usual instead of the usual girl I work with who everyday has some really bad story (her husband racked up tickets under her license, she gets in all these car crashes none of them her fault, and etc stories that don't stand up to scrunity) of somethnig that happened to her I had a guy named Larry who I know and figured it'd be an easy day I could do what I need to do without interuptions then finish and have my usual brand of fun of hplayfully harrassing workers and having fun. Compared to the others at my job if I put 50% I put out more then their 100%. So as it turns out I'm the only person working truck and expected to finish 40 trays by myself in 7 hours. I sighed and thought "typical"

As I work one of the shift supervisors just starts dumping trays in my aisle. Iwas like ok sandy I got some of your stuff" shes like "oh no I'm leaving don't worry about it". This of course will mean next week I will pick out all her stuff from my trays in advance dump it in her aisle and see how she likes it. As I'm working I notice every hour Larry coming into my aisle. It startsgetting me annoyed as I'm like if he don't think I'm going to complete it to his satisfaction then he should be jumping on the trays in the other aisles. So I continue working as usual and worked hard as usual. I talked to the pharmacist a bit cause I wanted to see if he had any knowledge of AS and see if he knew if they tried to heavily medicate people with it. I am going to see if I have AS soon and really if they constantly try to talk me into medication I will not take it and leave their program.

I'm working and he talks to Tom about some stuff that apparently I'm not supposed to know about as Laryr puts up his hand and in a very aggressive tone says "Don't Listen!". I had anger build up inside me while I have fun and treat people good I do not accept people giving me harsh tones for no reason. So as I thought about it I was not in a state to deal with the situation so I let time pass so I could cool down. I worked 39 trays by myself with no help. I figured they could do the last tray since I was tired and its time to go home. Earlier in the day I took my acting final and I was on a shoot with guys from school for most of the afternoon before after classes. I only had about 5 hours of sleep.

So I approached larry as he was about to leave and I asked to talk privately with him. He said "now ?!" I was like " yea we need to talk". He asked "About someone in the store?" and I was like "yes we need to talk about me and you" so we went upstairs and for some reason I was all prepared to have an arguement thinknig it was how the talk would end up. So I asked him " Just to be sure have I ever been untoward or disrespectful to you in anyway." He said " no you've treated me with the upmost respect" so I continued with " well I think your tone today was disrespectful to me as I found it very offensive as I am one of the most hard working people in the store ; I know everyone has their thnigs that frustrate them in the store and outside of it but I think I deserve more then that." Then the script was flipped on me as he went "I'm very sorry you felt that way I did not mean to offend you in anyway. I have nothing but the upmost respect for you." So we end the discussion on good terms and all.

So I thought with this as we all have encounters with bad bosses and such that I though I should bring out this pleasent suprise. In this case he was simply unaware of his tone and agreed to watch his tone when hes frustrated or upset" he explained his frustations of course none of them having to do with me. In the end I think its good to share a example of when a boss doesn't act stereotypical and shows real honor and likeability. Myself I gained alot of respect for him on this day does anybody have stories like this in their own life about bosses.