Getting ready to go back to work!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

WinterRose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2008, 2:23 pm

A little history perhaps? I've worked in retail since i was 17. Started out in a little home town grocery store, not so bad, quiet and a small group of coworkers. Then I went to work for a major retailer (but a comparatively small store) as a cashier... not good. Started working overnights, better, fewer people. Eventually i couldn't take the hours, started getting sick all the time. So i went back to days, in a hourly management position, wasn't to bad, for the most part i only had to interact with the people that worked there. But eventually it started to affect me and i started getting restless and i transfered to another store. Big mistake, way more people. Though going back to cashiering would mean less stress but obviously i had forgotten what it was like when i had cashiered years before. Things got worse and worse and worse, i cut back my hours but still couldn't cope. got depressed. finally last October (over a year after i transfered) I found a good therapist and went on a medical leave of absence. I've decided not to return to my retail job, as it is obviously poorly suited to me, and if i went back it would just all happen again. My therapist referred me to the department of vocational rehabilitation and i have my first meeting here on Tuesday. I'm not sure what to expect yet, but i'm excited.

Well wishes, good thoughts and advice are welcome and appreciated. :)

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 3:57 pm

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it is off to work you go! topic

Congratulations on attending vocational rehabilitation counselling sessions.
I hope your challenge responds 100% to the assistance provided by the services offered.

Could I be so bold as to ask what sort of rehabilitation counselling is available in your area? I may be a recipient of such assistance at some time in the near future.

I thank you in advance for any information you are able to share, and you need not identify your province, state, or country.

Best wishes for you and yours in the year ahead. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

WinterRose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2008, 4:42 pm

I'm not shy about my state, i'm from Wisconsin, not sure what its like yet, like i said, i'm not sure what to expect, but i'll certainly keep you filled in :)