Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

WilsonFisk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2008, 5:20 pm

I have a serious procrastination problem. If anyone else has *had* the same problem please share what you did to overcome or alleviate it.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 5:43 pm

I'll tell you just as soon as I get around to it. :lol:

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 6:03 pm

heh I'm procrastinating right now.
I usually procrastinate when I feel overwhelmed, which sucks because that is when I can least afford to procrastinate.
Sorry I have nothing useful to contribute.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 12:51 am

Procrastination is an ensuing issue, it's not something you can overcome once and for all, it's something you have to constantly overcome.

I usually pump myself up, so to speak. I make it a goal. Like I've been putting off going to the DMV to get my registration renewed. So tomorrow, I'm going to do my laundry(Something else I've been procrastinating on), and I've been constantly telling myself this for the last few hours before I go to bed, so that when I wake up in the morning, I'll get right on it. "Tomorrow I'm doing laundry and calling the DMV to find out which location handles auto registration. Tomorrow I'm doing laundry and calling the DMV to find out which location handles auto registration. Rinse and repeat"

Tomorrow I'll do the same sort of thing, telling myself to go to the DMV so that Tuesday when I wake up, I'll get right on it.

It doesn't always work, I may wake up and go, "Screw it." But then I may feel bad about it later and do it that same day anyway, or do it the next day.

Anyway, I don't know what will work for you, you'll have to discover that on your own I think.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

Legato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 11:13 am

I procrastinate horribly...

registering my car
finding a job
doing laundry
taking a shower
etc

Normally, I just end up waiting until it becomes necessary that I do this thing. Like when my registration is 3 months overdue, or I have no clean clothes. I wait til I have no choice. I have found no fix for this.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 4:19 pm

same here.

If it wasnt for the fact that I have my bills set to auto-pay and that I watch my use of the variable expenses carefully (aka water/power) I would never have my bills paid on time even though the money is in the bank.

In fact.. I have a paycheck from 3 weeks ago I still have to deposit ..this month's automatic deposit system failed and they gave me a check. Gah!

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 4:37 pm

I got a wife. If I procrastinate for too long, I get nagged.
That was my solution. Not pretty, but it works.

WilsonFisk

11 Feb 2008, 5:06 pm

Mudboy wrote:
I got a wife. If I procrastinate for too long, I get nagged.
That was my solution. Not pretty, but it works.

Hah! to get a wife- now that's one thing I think probably would work but I'm not willing to go there yet (or ever!). Then again I don't think any girl would fall for me.

Othila
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2008, 7:41 pm

WilsonFisk wrote:
I have a serious procrastination problem. If anyone else has *had* the same problem please share what you did to overcome or alleviate it.

Put it on paper. Write out what you want to do. If you don't do the things you were suppose to do punish yourself if you do do the things you do than reward yourself. It also helps to think about the pleasurable aspects of any task that you have to do. It's an uphill battle but once you can minimize the procrastination in your life it will be well worth it.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 8:39 pm