Aspie excuses for not working hard

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 3:27 pm

This is from today's Dilbert strip:

Wally: "Everything I needed to do required me to do something else first, until it all looped back on itself like a Möbius strip."

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 5:36 pm

That would be fun to put together.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 6:22 pm

Seems no matter how hard I work, I'm always accused of not doing enough - despite doing more than others.

NT's seem to know when and how to work, so they look busy despite slacking off.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 6:37 pm

An old management rule of thumb is to walk past your employees every 20 minutes to see what they are doing. One day, as I leaned back from writing down code my boss walked past and looked at me. Okay. After a couple of minutes I went back to writing, stopping 20 minutes later - just as my boss came back through and looked at me again. I looked at my buddy at the next desk and we both chuckled. I went back to it and stopped about 25 minutes later, just when - you guessed it - the boss walked by. This time he stopped and asked me if I was going to do any work that day. I said I had been and my buddy backed me up, laughing. Since I had a witness, bossy put a sock in it and walked off. My buddy and I laughed about that the rest of the day.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 7:07 pm

Perception and reality can be two different things, can't they?

PowerGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2007, 8:47 pm

It's so unfair. I have friends who don't have to study because they know it all or they just glance at their notes before a test, and they pass with an A. I, on the other hand, study my notes, and depending on the subject, may have to spend a LONG time studying and come back to test and I make a B or C. PLEASE, someone tell me.... WHERE IS THE JUSTICE IN THAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I wish I could do that!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! ! That is so unfair. It would cut off so much stress time. -Power Girl

Stewie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Dec 2007, 10:10 pm

MysteryFan3 wrote:
An old management rule of thumb is to walk past your employees every 20 minutes to see what they are doing. One day, as I leaned back from writing down code my boss walked past and looked at me. Okay. After a couple of minutes I went back to writing, stopping 20 minutes later - just as my boss came back through and looked at me again. I looked at my buddy at the next desk and we both chuckled. I went back to it and stopped about 25 minutes later, just when - you guessed it - the boss walked by. This time he stopped and asked me if I was going to do any work that day. I said I had been and my buddy backed me up, laughing. Since I had a witness, bossy put a sock in it and walked off. My buddy and I laughed about that the rest of the day.

Your boss is incompetant. There is literally no other way to describe him. You should be graded on overall productivity, not what you are doing at a given random instant during a day. There's a reason that's called an "OLD" management rule of thumb. Any good manager realizes the old whip cracking mentality doesn't work on competant professionals. I could be wrong here, but if he is doing walk by's to evaluate people, I would guess it is because he does not have any other meaningful way to do it. What a tool!! !

You have more patience than I, which is good. If that were said to me, there would have been a confrontation that consisted of me spewing sharp, piercing sarcasm that made him look like an idiot. Comments like "If it were me, I would evaluate people based on overall productivity, but then again, that requires technical competency."

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 11:01 pm

Stewie wrote:
MysteryFan3 wrote:

Your boss is incompetant. There is literally no other way to describe him. You should be graded on overall productivity, not what you are doing at a given random instant during a day. There's a reason that's called an "OLD" management rule of thumb. Any good manager realizes the old whip cracking mentality doesn't work on competant professionals. I could be wrong here, but if he is doing walk by's to evaluate people, I would guess it is because he does not have any other meaningful way to do it. What a tool!! !

You have more patience than I, which is good. If that were said to me, there would have been a confrontation that consisted of me spewing sharp, piercing sarcasm that made him look like an idiot. Comments like "If it were me, I would evaluate people based on overall productivity, but then again, that requires technical competency."

And he, being a manager, would have you out on thy buttocks. That's called "insubordination" and I was fired for an incident similar to your hypothetical when I was an order picker.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 1:23 am

You could have at least posted a link to the strip... I had to go find it myself :)

I'm printing that one off for my wall at work.

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20071214.html

Stewie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Dec 2007, 1:28 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
And he, being a manager, would have you out on thy buttocks. That's called "insubordination"

I'm definately not recommending my response! But if someone walked by me enough times and made stupid comments and suggestive questions, sarcasm is what they would get in return. Hopefully I would find another job before it got to that point. At a professional job, after leaving I'd write a letter to HR explaining your ex-bosses erratic behavior, most companies who employ professionals have abandoned the whipping behavior. The letter is invalid if fired, but if it came from someone who quit to work elsewhere, they'd at least think about it.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 8:11 pm

Stewie wrote:
MysteryFan3 wrote:

I often get a lot done at work, and my method is to lounge around doing nothing but playing on the internet, then I notice myself flying into a productive flurry from all the pent up energy I'd been saving!

Did I mention I have mood swings? Productivity for someone with mood swings is a whole different ballgame than for someone with a single, main, steady mood. Sometimes I CAN'T work, I feel so low-energy mentally. I just CAN'T think! Then, later that day, it's like I've had four cups of coffee! I'm getting things done almost with a vengeance.

Gee, I'd hate for my high-energy self to walk in on my low-energy self. High-energy self: "Get outta that chair you lazy bum! Whattayou think they pay you for?!?!?" Low-energy self: "Re-laaaaaaax.... I'll get to it, in time."

ASPIEd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Dec 2007, 8:56 pm

My Aspie excuses for not working hard:

1. The work is stupid.

2. The people are stupid.

3. The boss is stupid.

4. The organization is stupid.

5. The country is stupid.

6. The world is stupid.

So, why am I still here, doing stupid work with stupid people for a stupid boss in a stupid organization in a stupid country in a stupid world? Because I'M stupid!! ! ;-)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"I see stupid people. I see them all the time. They walk around just like everyone else. They don't even know they're stupid." -- Seventh Sense

Stewie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Dec 2007, 10:49 pm

Love your quote!! !! !!

Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2007, 2:38 pm

BlueMax wrote:
Seems no matter how hard I work, I'm always accused of not doing enough - despite doing more than others.

NT's seem to know when and how to work, so they look busy despite slacking off.

at my job they excuse me of slacking off but instead they know otherwise through their actions. They put me on many undermanned shifts where alot needs to get done (the teenagers I work with can't get what I get done even if they were given twice the time) . What it is is really that they don't want to acknowledge you when it doesn't suit them when I cover somebody everyone says oh your the best worker in the store but when I'm not donig something out of the goodness of my heart they say I underperform. In the end its more of a social thing if they admitted that I was the best worker people who did nothing would be offended and that would have social implications from them so they avoid it but if they only knew the fact that they depend on me so much that anytime I'm out nothing gets done shows what they are afraid of outright saying.

fishie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Dec 2007, 2:59 pm

I have a non-aspie excuse for not working hard: I've been here a month and still haven't gotten training. Apparently my database is finally up, but everybody is busy getting ready for their holiday vacations so I probably won't start working until the New Year.

Normally my aspie excuse for not working hard is I already work five times as hard as everybody else and I deserve a break now and then. Excuses, excuses.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 12:27 pm

Ah! Finally, an honest boss!