Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2008, 6:33 pm

I've landed myself a new job with a financial software company. I'm required to attend a "boot camp" which provides me with training on their product. I've been doing OK for the first three classes. Now I'm taking classes that are vital to my job duties. I have the WORST instructor I've had since college. He rushes through the material (presented on Power Point slides) and expects you to grok it. I've asked him to flip back because I didn't understand something and his reply was "it's in your book". He talks endlessly and does not walk us through the concepts and procedures we are supposed to be learning. We are presented with lab exercises. The teacher does not brief us on how to follow the instructions on the sheet provided. I had him for the systems admin class and I failed the certification exam. I'm pretty much sure I am going to fail the exam presented at the end of this course. The teacher (from my impression) doesn't seem to want to put in extra help for students that are struggling with the material. The course is incredibly fast-paced. This is the worst siltation to be in because between my AS, my learning disabilities, sensory issues, and my ADD, the learning environment I am placed puts me in a severe disadvantage.

I tried talking to the person in charge of employee training. I disclosed my AS, ADD, and LD. Unfortunately this teacher is the only one that teaches the sysadmin and database classes. So there's nothing I can do to change the siltation. I've pretty much have given up hope that I'll learn anything in the last two classes and realize that I may have to take the classes and certification exams over and over until I pass.

Should I approach the teacher and explain my situation? What accommodations should I be requesting? Is it even worth approaching this teacher? Or should I just suck it up and flail through this sh***y book they've given us?

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 6:58 pm

is the material really in your book?

i had a professor once with an accent I couldn't understand at first and who went rapidly through the material.

however the reason he was going rapidly through the material is that he was trying to summarize 1-3 chapters during every class, so I just opened the book and followed along. Only taking notes on the additional information that I didn't readily see in the book

Two, does the book have a website? Often times they have practice questions and if the professor uses the books exam you are pretty much guaranteed that some of those practice questions are on the main exam - some professors even just give out the practice exams as a way to reward students who go the extra step on their own/punish those who don't. And of course others do it just because they are too lazy to read the descrioption and realize that you ahve access to all those test questions and answers

What is the software? I know some software i've used for class had numerous free classes to help with it (as well as more intense ones you had to pay for) You might be able to find some free courses that will help keep you up to speed with the boot camps

Also have you moved past the initial hire/fire stage? if you have bring up your problems to HR. If you haven't its best to wait a bit as you don't want to give them reason to dismiss you during a time that they can do so without having a reason