gluten/dairy free diet for daughter, anyone else try this?

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

catbalou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2010, 1:43 am

I tried the gfcf with my daughter and felt initially there were very positive effects (far more communicative, mood better). But it was not sustained, or not the fantastic degree I initially saw, so that was disappointing plus she became very anti doing it. Now we have a bit of a compromise, hugely reduced gluten , but she gets her roll to take to school which seemed very important to her. I personally feel clearer headed and more energetic off gluten. I still have milk in my coffee and tea though, and cheese, (on rice cakes) but she never has milk by choice, and the occasional bit of cheese.
Btw, Mama to Grace, my daughter had terrible eczema for years, and in particular mouth eczema from the ages 4 till 11. Really really bad, nothing helped, and I tried everything, her mouth was a terrible state, used to bleed and crack. Finally what did it was protopic, its not a steroid, and we used a minimal amount. It was a lifesaver, and I will sing it's praises wherever I go. She now has perfect beautiful skin and if gets the occasional itchyness behind her knees a miniscual amount of protopic does the trick.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Nov 2010, 5:12 am

There are two reasons why someone on the autism spectrum may benefit from a gfcf diet:

1 ) As DW_a_mom says, because a significant minority of the population as a whole are gluten intolerant to some degree: 1% of the population are celiac, 10%-15% of the population have elevated levels of gliadin-antibodies, and between 7% and 20% ( depending on which studies you read ), have symptoms of gluten-intolerance.

Symptoms vary, and can include any or all of the following: gastrointestinal problems, ( alternating constipation and diarrheoa, or chronic diarrheoa or constipation, bloating, "sore"/inflamed guts, etc ), fatigue, weight gain/obesity or weight loss, gluten ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, and other neurological effects, and the two main co-morbids; diabetes and thyroid disorders, as well as headaches, depression and anxiety/stress, irritability, skin disorders, among other things, including the many serious mental and physical health problems that can arise from the chronic vitamin and mineral deficiencies often caused by disturbed intestinal function, ( which can also be the result of fructose malabsorption and FODMAP intolerance, from which up to 40% of the population suffer to some degree, ... and wheat is very high in fructans, a fermentable oligosacharide/FODMAP ).

2 ) The other far more "autism specific" reason why people on the spectrum may benefit from a gfcf diet is that according to two studies, ( a pilot study in 1997 and another far larger study publ in April 2010 ), a subset/36.7% of people on the spectrum have unusually permeable intestines, compared to just 4.8% of the general population, and it is suspected that this permeability allows the passage of unusually large amounts of the food opioid peptides present in casein and gluten ( and no other foods apart from, oddly, spinach ), opioids which have far reaching and powerful effects on brain chemistry and on both mood and cognitive functioning.

I personally have found that cutting out both gluten and casein massively improves not only my mood, ( I no longer suffer from previously recurring mood-disorder and depression ), but also my ability to organise, sustain and complete long-term projects, to carry out mundane daily activities on a regular basis, to engage in and even enjoy what otherwise have tended to seem like tiresomely and rebarbatively small fiddly tasks which go nowhere on a day to day basis but which have very big rewards when maintained over longer periods.

Cutting out gluten on its own, three years ago now, ( after over 10 years of on-off exclusion dieting ), had an effect on my mood, but cutting out both of the food opioids ( casein and gluten ) at the same time has a clear effect on my executive skills as well. Last year I gave a presentation at Autscape ( on diet and mental health in fact! :lol ), which took me months to prepare ( research, writing, and then giving it ), during a period of gfcf diet, ( dairy exclusion as well as the gf ), and this November, having gone gfcf again in mid-October, I wrote 50,000 words for NaNoWriMo, and, still gfcf, I now plan to continue with NaNoFiMo, ( "finishing month" ) for another 30,000 words, to finish my novel ( which I intend to edit in March with NaNoEdMo! :lol )

This sort of sustained effort has always previously been beyond me. ... I think I must definitely be one of the third of people on the spectrum with unusually permeable intestines! :lol :)

It takes 5-7 days for gluten and casein to leave the intestines/guts, and this will already have an effect on one's mental state, but it takes another 3-4 weeks for casein to leave the other organs, and up to 26 weeks for gluten to leave other body organs, especially the liver, so the complete opioid-free effects of a gfcf diet will probably not be seen for about 6 months. This means that there is little point in an on-off gfcf diet, and also that merely *reducing* intake of gluten and casein may simply result in someone ingesting a "maintenance" dose of their "favourite" drug on a daily basis.

NB!The recent study on intestinal permeability found that there is no correlation at all between intestinal permeability and gastrointestinal problems, nor is celiac disease or gluten-intolerance always accompanied by GI issues, so an absence of gastrointestinal problems is no indication that someone is ok with gluten, or gluten and casein.

One classic sign that someone may have a problem with the food opioid peptides of gluten and casein is that they seem addicted to these foods, crave/demand wheat and dairy based foods, and show little or no interest in eating anything else, exactly like an addiction, ie. a "picky eater", who loves wheat and dairy foods to the exclusion of all else is almost certainly being affected by food opioids.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Nov 2010, 5:28 am

PS. The reason for a "plateau" effect when going completely gfcf, ( which catbalou mentions ), and which can be discouraging and/or misleading, is that after the initial extra clarity, energy, stability, improved mood, focus, etc on cutting out food opioids there is often a period of withdrawal symptoms, especially in the case of gluten, which, ( as I said above ), can take up to 26 weeks to leave the body completely.

catbalou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2010, 7:53 am

You know have yet to find a decent gf breadroll that is very like a wheat one in consistency, for dd to take to school, that would be great. Forget baking, me and baking just dont happen. Otherwise we're eating tons of rice, potatoes and gf pasta and that maize stuff that solidifies when you stir and cook it, the name escapes me. And other stuff of course but those are out carbohydrates mainly. Not saying we'll stay like this forever, but for the moment it seems to be workable.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Nov 2010, 8:03 am

PPS. The reason why this subset ( 36.7%/a third ) of people on the autism spectrum with unusually permeable intestines may experience radical improvements in executive function on a ( long-term consistent ) gfcf diet is because constant/chronic exposure to opiates/opioids deregulates dopamine pathways.

Dopamine is necessary for long-term planning, for imagining and taking into account "the future", for accurately evaluating both the long-term consequences ( good and bad ) as well as the short-term "bad" consequences, of our actions.

Dopamine is what makes us capable of tolerating as well as organising and maintaining short-term discomfort/unpleasantness/"work" for the sake of a long-term goal, of accepting and putting up with effort, anxiety, risk, "no immediate reward", etc because can "see" and "value" the later rewards. It also enables us to respond appropriately to/"learn from" mistakes, etc.

People with unusually permeable intestines, ( a third of people on the spectrum compared to 4.8% of the general population ), however will, whenever they eat dairy or glutenous cereals, ( ie. at almost every meal time ) be exposing their their brains to opioids/opiate like molecules, which have serious effects on dopamine function:

Opioids/opiates cause the number of dopamine receptors to drop, increase dopamine-reuptake, ( so that dopamine disappears more quickly from the brain ), and may also reduce the amount of dopamine which is produced in the first place. Any sort of addiction, ( including smoking apparently ), which causes an increase in our brain of opiates/opioids ( either by ingesting the opioid in food or "drugs" or by stimulating the production of natural/endogenous opiates ), will have this effect.

Once the dopamine pathway is deregulated it is apparently also likely, ironically/sadly, to lead to new/greater/further/other addiction(s) because more opiates/opioids will be the only way to escape/avoid thinking about the mess that one is making of long-term stuff.

Basically opioids/opiates are the enemy of long-term thinking, and a third of people on the spectrum are exposed to unusually large amounts compared to the general population ).

@ catbalou: I don't know much at all about gf-"bread-replicas", so I'm afraid I can't help on that, sorry. :( Some people on WP in the past have recommended a couple of brands that are supposed to be good. What about rice crackers? Or plain/unflavoured corn chips with a dip? ( avoid the flavoured kinds; they have gluten in ). Plain salted crisps? :)

catbalou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2010, 10:51 am

yes unfortunately she hates rice crackers and a bit too fond of crisps; corn chips yes we do use them . Btw congratulations on the nanowrimo , my mother is doing it so I know how much work is involved! Well done!

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Dec 2010, 2:53 am

catbalou wrote:
yes unfortunately she hates rice crackers and a bit too fond of crisps; corn chips yes we do use them . Btw congratulations on the nanowrimo , my mother is doing it so I know how much work is involved! Well done!

Thank you very much! :) :D Hope your mother's novel goes well! :) After finishing ( NaNoWriMo) two days early I will be back at the word-grindstone today for the start of NaNoFiMo! :lol

I thought I'd just repost a link to the recent study about unusually permeable intestines in a subset of people on the spectrum:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20683204

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 12:30 am

I'm going to deviate from my normal gluten/dairy/sugar/dye/etc diets won't help 99.9% of the people stance for a moment and say one thing.

If you care to take anything out of your diet, you might consider greatly reducing soy, not because it will have any effect on AS, but because there seems to be studies which indicate, than in excessive amounts, it can cause hormonal imbalances and thyroid issues, as well as possibly some other problems down the road, and most people are probably consuming unusually high amounts of it. It's very difficult to find products without soy today. You will find it most peanut butter, in fact anything that uses added oil probably uses soy oil as an alternative to palm oil, non-dairy instant creamers, as fillers in various foods, and so on.

In a sense, it's being used as a staple, when humans did not evolve eating soy as a staple. Human anatomy evolved to tolerate grains in large amounts, not soy.

In fact, if you notice, our molars are ideal for crushing soft seeds and grains.

Pharyn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2010, 7:40 pm

Before you put your child through something as stressful as a gluten casein free diet do some research, and beware of pseudoscience.

Heres a link to a review of the evidence by actual doctors and scientists.
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... ement_1/S1
Heres a link that explains the other link in layman terms again by a doctor.
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/?p=1424

So far there is no evidence of a link between autism and GI problems the "leaky gut syndrome" is a failed hypothesis.

However I can very well believe a bad diet can make your child very unhappy and with autistic children it takes a monumental effort sometimes to get them to eat anything except garbage. A healthy diet will make anyone feel better and improve behavior, however extreme diets can cost more in stress, money and time than its worth there is also no evidence to suggest they work.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 11:28 pm

Chronos wrote:
In a sense, it's being used as a staple, when humans did not evolve eating soy as a staple. Human anatomy evolved to tolerate grains in large amounts, not soy.

In fact, if you notice, our molars are ideal for crushing soft seeds and grains.

Humans didn't evolve eating either soy or grain as staples. Both became staples only with agriculture, in the last 10,000 years or so, and human adaptations to them have been minimal.

Grains are quite hard, in contrast to soft seeds like nuts, and our molars are not well adapted to chewing them due to having points and moderately thin enamel. That's why we typically cook grains if we're going to eat them.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Dec 2010, 4:35 am

Pharyn wrote:
So far there is no evidence of a link between autism and GI problems the "leaky gut syndrome" is a failed hypothesis.

The Wakefield associated/originated "leaky-gut" hypothesis has indeed been debunked, a long time ago now, ( it is very old news in fact :lol ) , but his hypothesis was not only that people on the autism spectrum have more GI problems than the general population, ( which has yet to be established, though a very large study publ last year showed that a small majority/just over half of autists have a gene which is strongly correlated with poor/compromised intestinal repair function, the "MET" gene ), but that vaccinations caused these problems. His methodology was at best flawed, at worst deliberately biased.

NB. A very recent study has just shown however that between 40% and 60% of ( a sample of ) 2-5 year old autists have a mitochondrial dysfunction, ( in energy production and fatty acid conversion ), cause as yet unknown, but a court case in the USA two years ago ruled in favour of damages to a couple of families on the basis that vaccinations had been responsible for transforming a previously undetected mitochondrial "difference" or vulnerability into an "autism-like" condition.

However, to return to gfcf diets. :lol The medical review you linked to was published just three/four months before two new, large, sound, and groundbreaking studies came out:

This last April ( 2010 ) a large and well-constructed study was published showing that a subset, ( about a third/36.7% ) of people on the autism spectrum have unusually permeable intestines, compared to 4.8% of the general population, ( another group which has higher than average numbers of unusually permeable intestines are schizophrenics, and interestingly most of the standard neuroleptics/drugs in use for schizophrenia have what has been until recently considered to be the "side-effect" of reducing intestinal permeability ... :lol :) ), which would allow the passage of unusually large amounts of food opioid peptides to the brain where their impact on the dopamine system, among other things, would have major negative effects on executive functioning, ( as described in my previous posts ).

And there is evidence, ( from another large, very sound, 2 year, random etc study published just this year as well ), that removing all sources of food opioid peptides ( ie. gluten and casein ), from the diet of autistic children had significant positive effects on their executive skills and social interaction.

PS. There is no link between GI problems and having unusually permeable intestines, so an absence of GI problems will tell you nothing about whether gluten and casein may be a problem ( unless you are one of the 1% of the population with celiac disease that is, or one of the 7%-15% of the population with some degree of gluten-intolerance ).

Pharyn wrote:
It takes a monumental effort sometimes to get them to eat anything except garbage.

Addiction to, ( as opposed to GI problems with ), those two food groups ( glutenous cereals esp. wheat and casein/dairy ), and also to sugar, ( which apparently helps to attenuate opiate/opioid withdrawal symptoms I read yesterday ), would probably be a pretty reliable indication of a problem though. :)

Please read my previous posts on here, and the link that I provided in my last post, for further info. :)

Pharyn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2010, 9:07 am

How about some links to those studies?

Even if the studies say what you think they do. it wouldn't be sufficient evidence to warrant making major dietary changes. One or two studies, even if done right, should not be the basis for making medical decisions. Science does not work that way.

I read the abstract for the 2010 April study, if it was the same study, its a small study not a large one. As for how well constructed it was, I don't know, as I do not have access to the full text. But even if i did i would not try to interpret its results for myself. Even in the best studies researchers tend to exaggerate their conclusions and over emphasize the importance of the results.

There is a reason why the general population should not try to interpret medical studies, people leap to conclusions based on preliminary and quite often dubious data.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Dec 2010, 3:00 am

Pharyn wrote:
How about some links to those studies?

Even if the studies say what you think they do. it wouldn't be sufficient evidence to warrant making major dietary changes. One or two studies, even if done right, should not be the basis for making medical decisions. Science does not work that way.

I read the abstract for the 2010 April study, if it was the same study, its a small study not a large one. As for how well constructed it was, I don't know, as I do not have access to the full text. But even if i did i would not try to interpret its results for myself. Even in the best studies researchers tend to exaggerate their conclusions and over emphasize the importance of the results.

There is a reason why the general population should not try to interpret medical studies, people leap to conclusions based on preliminary and quite often dubious data.

With ref intestinal permeability:

There have been at least two studies showing this.

The first one was a small/"pilot" one in 1996, abstract at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract

And the latest one in April 2010, which replicated its findings with a much larger sample group, abstract ( I give link again for ease of reading ) at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20683204

Quote:
Abstract:
OBJECTIVES: Intestinal permeability (IPT) was investigated in patients with autism as well as in their first-degree relatives to investigate leaky gut hypothesis. Faecal calprotectin (FC) was also measured in patients with autism, either with or without gastrointestinal symptoms, and in their first-degree relatives.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: IPT results, assessed by means of the lactulose/mannitol test, were compared with adult and child controls and with FC values.

RESULTS: A high percentage of abnormal IPT values were found among patients with autism (36.7%) and their relatives (21.2%) compared with normal subjects (4.8%).

Patients with autism on a reported gluten-casein-free diet had significantly lower IPT values compared with those who were on an unrestricted diet and controls.

Gastrointestinal symptoms were present in 46.7% of children with autism: constipation (45.5%), diarrhoea (34.1%), and others (alternating diarrhoea/constipation, abdominal pain, etc: 15.9%). FC was elevated in 24.4% of patients with autism and in 11.6% of their relatives; it was not, however, correlated with abnormal IPT values.

CONCLUSIONS: The results obtained support the leaky gut hypothesis and indicate that measuring IPT could help to identify a subgroup of patients with autism who could benefit from a gluten-free diet.

The IPT alterations found in first-degree relatives suggest the presence of an intestinal (tight-junction linked) hereditary factor in the families of subjects with autism.

And here is the link to a blog-piece by a psychiatrist on that most recent one ( for the essential professional eyeview of the science and its implications, which you refer to in your post :) ) : http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot. ... ism-1.html I quote:

Emily_Deans_MD wrote:
The researchers in the study took 90 kids with autism spectrum disorders and 146 of their first-degree relatives, and also 64 children and 146 adult controls. Everyone was given an IPT test, some were checked for FC, and all the kids with autism were screened for celiac (using anti-tTG antibodies, IgG anti-gliadin antibodies, and IgA anti-gliadin antibodies, anti-endomysium antibodies, and the genetic testing for HLA DQ2 and 8 ). Relatives and controls with abnormal IPT and FC tests were similarly screened for celiac.

Sounds interesting! What are the results?

Abnormal leaky gut - the IPT test (a higher percentage of lactulose and mannitol in the urine)
Adult controls = 4.8%
Child controls = 0%
ASD patients = 36.7%
Relatives = 21.2%
(p<0.0001)

Pathological fecal calprotectin (FC - measure of gut inflammation)
ASD patients = 24.6%
Relatives = 11.7%
(Due to budget constraints, FC was only measured in controls who had an abnormal IPT test - none of them had FC values above the normal range)

ASD patients and celiac testing
Genetic predisposition for celiac (+HLA DQ2 and/or DQ8): 32% of kids with "leaky" IPT test
Genetic predisposition for celiac (+HLA DQ2 and/or DQ8): 35.9% of kids with normal IPT test
Gastrointestinal symptoms: 45.5% of kids with "leaky" IPT test
Gastrointestinal symptoms: 47.4% of kids with normal IPT test.
Positive AGA IgA: 1.6% +/- 2.5%
Positive AGA IgG: 13.8% +/- 24.2%
Positive tTG: 1.04% +/- 0.91%
EMA: all negative

Relatives and celiac testing
Positive AGA IgA: 0.8% +/- 0.4%
Positive AGA IgG:8.4% +/- 5.9%
Positive tTG: 3.0% +/- 3.7%
EMA: all negative

Well! That's a mixed bag. The overall findings - there seems to be a subgroup of kids with autism and their close relatives who have leaky guts. The celiac findings are a little more all over the place. GI symptoms seemed to have no correlation with gut leakiness, meaning the standard recommendation to investigate for celiac or intestinal barrier problems only in autistic kids with GI symptoms seems to fly in the face of scientific findings.

Perhaps more importantly, "gluten itself augments IPT" (in other words, makes gut leakiness worse in cellular models (5)(6)(7)). "We can hypothesize that subjects with ASD are gluten-sensitive.... and hence their intestinal barrier function [abnormalities] will ameliorate with with a gluten-free diet. The well-recognized intestinal mucosal effects of gliadin - the major component of gluten - would justify a treatment with gluten-free diet in ASD."

There is a lot more to discuss. But for now, I'll leave the above information to simmer for a little while.

The bottom line from this post: The clinical trials evidence for gluten-free, casein free diets is poor, so far (though I'll go over what I consider to be the best study later this week). BUT, there is newer evidence of a rather large subset of kids with ASDs who have an especially leaky gut, and the susceptibility to the leakiness seems to be genetic. You are not going to find these kids by looking at patients with celiac markers or by looking at patients with GI symptoms.

To move onto the issue of the effects of a gfcf/food opioid-free diet on behaviour, abilities, etc here is a link to the 2010 ScanBrit randomised etc study of a gfcf diet ( study lasted two years ): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20406576 I quote:
Quote:
Abstract: There is increasing interest in the use of gluten- and casein-free diets for children with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs). We report results from a two-stage, 24-month, randomised, controlled trial incorporating an adaptive 'catch-up' design and interim analysis. Stage 1 of the trial saw 72 Danish children (aged 4 years to 10 years 11 months) assigned to diet (A) or non-diet (B) groups by stratified randomisation. Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS) and the Gilliam Autism Rating Scale (GARS) were used to assess core autism behaviours, Vineland Adaptive Behaviour Scales (VABS) to ascertain developmental level, and Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - IV scale (ADHD-IV) to determine inattention and hyperactivity. Participants were tested at baseline, 8, and 12 months. Based on per protocol repeated measures analysis, data for 26 diet children and 29 controls were available at 12 months. At this point, there was a significant improvement to mean diet group scores (time*treatment interaction) on sub-domains of ADOS, GARS and ADHD-IV measures. Surpassing of predefined statistical thresholds as evidence of improvement in group A at 12 months sanctioned the re-assignment of group B participants to active dietary treatment. Stage 2 data for 18 group A and 17 group B participants were available at 24 months. Multiple scenario analysis based on inter- and intra-group comparisons showed some evidence of sustained clinical group improvements although possibly indicative of a plateau effect for intervention. Our results suggest that dietary intervention may positively affect developmental outcome for some children diagnosed with ASD. In the absence of a placebo condition to the current investigation, we are, however, unable to disqualify potential effects derived from intervention outside of dietary changes. Further studies are required to ascertain potential best- and non-responders to intervention.

Which is where the results of the study on intestinal permeability will be very useful, ( because they point to there being this subset/36.7% of autists with unusually permeable intestines ie. a one in three chance of a gfcf diet working ), but unfortunately those came out too late for this first gfcf trial.

Link to blog piece on this study ( for the professional eyeview on the science involved and the implications ): http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot. ... ism-2.html

Emily_Deans_MD wrote:
Before April 2010, the dietary studies were crap. And too small. Enter the ScanBrit randomised, controlled, single-blind study of a gluten- and casein-free dietary intervention for children with autism spectrum disorders. Published in Nutritional Neuroscience in April 2010, this study combined a lot of nice features. It had a decent sample size - 72 Danish kids with ASDs (established by standard diagnostic criteria), and it was long - two years. It had a sort of modified cross-over design. It was honest about being single blind - meaning the researchers (except the nutritionists) didn't know which kids were getting the special diets, but the parents (of course) knew. The kids' urine was tested for any abnormal metabolic byproducts.

Here's what the researchers did - for the first year, they put about half the kids on a gluten-free, casein-free diet and monitored their progress for 8 months. If the improvements in the kids on the diet were significantly better than the kids off the diet, they would extend the trial and put everyone on the GF-CF diet at 12 months, and monitor them for a total of 24 months (this is what happened in the actual trial - there was significant improvement in the study diet kids, and a worsening in the kids on the standard diet, so everyone was put on the study diet for the last 12 months[b]). The researches used a battery of different tests, measuring a bunch of different subsets of autistic behaviors and ADHD symptoms at points along the trial. The results?

"Introducing [b]a gluten-free, casein-free diet had a significant beneficial group effect at 8, 12, and 24 months of intervention on core autistic and related behaviors
..." The improvement was less dramatic after the first 8 months, and could represent a plateau effect. Attentional and communication symptoms seemed to improve the most.

Emily_Deans_MD wrote:
I think there is enough scientific evidence to suggest that some kids with ASDs will, in fact, benefit from a gluten-free, casein-free diet, and while it is no cure and may not be a part of the original cause (some known teratogens that cause autism seem to work at around 8 weeks gestation (7), it may be worth a try.

Pharyn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2010, 1:10 pm

Again I am not saying it should not be looked into, neither of those studies however are all that good. Single blind studies allow a large bias, on top of that half the participants dropped out, somehow I doubt it was the half that was seeing a large benefit.

But lets grant that they were superb studies and provided overwhelming evidence, the psychologist you linked to provided an excellent quote.

" It shouldn't be attempted without some professional nutritional advice, especially in a picky kid. And it's clearly no holy grail."

Consult a doctor, do not put any child on an extreme diet without consulting a professional. The university of Google is not a substitute for medical training.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 2:56 pm

Chronos wrote:
I'm going to deviate from my normal gluten/dairy/sugar/dye/etc diets won't help 99.9% of the people stance for a moment and say one thing.

If you care to take anything out of your diet, you might consider greatly reducing soy, not because it will have any effect on AS, but because there seems to be studies which indicate, than in excessive amounts, it can cause hormonal imbalances and thyroid issues, as well as possibly some other problems down the road, and most people are probably consuming unusually high amounts of it. It's very difficult to find products without soy today. You will find it most peanut butter, in fact anything that uses added oil probably uses soy oil as an alternative to palm oil, non-dairy instant creamers, as fillers in various foods, and so on.

My husband has been on a similar bandwagon about soy for a while. Turns out both he and my son really should not eat it, and we noticed a huge improvement in our AS son when we eliminated it totally by accident. The questions about soy are my main caution on the GFCF question, because it is hard to go GFCF without increasing soy. If it turns out soy is the real culprit for that one individual, going GFCF just makes everything worse.

I wish there were more nutritionists well versed in all this pseudo-science, and better tests for it. Oh, and that insurance would actually cover it ;) . I would really like to KNOW what the members of my family should eat. I have reason to believe we all have some sensitivities, but nailing them down has not been something I've proved to be very good at. I really look forward to the day when this crap moves out of pseudo-science into something with a reliable protocol. There are real issues here, just that no one seems to have the definitive answers on what they are and how they can be flagged.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Dec 2010, 3:52 pm

I'm gfcf, and I don't eat any soya, and I really don't understand why going gfcf would increase the amount of soya that someone ate. :?

Best foods, for almost everyone, are fresh fish, fresh meat, fresh lettuce, carrots, parsley, avocado, fresh fish, fresh meat, fresh or "well-tinned" or "well-frozen" oily fish, eggs, root vegetables for most people, some fresh fruit, ( clementines, bananas, some berries ), some rice if absolutely necessary, eggs, fresh fish and shellfish, ( esp mussels ), and fresh meat! :lol :)

PS. some people are sensitive to eggs, citrus fruits, all grains including rice, or even anything starchy at all, ( like bananas and rice and potatoes ), or the tomato and potato family, or the entire cabbage family, or oily fish and smoked and cured hams/meats.

The safest foods, ( so long as are not ill/contaminated ), are fresh meat and fresh fish and the lettuce family. :)

Last edited by ouinon on 04 Dec 2010, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.