Are All Problems Solveable and obstacles surmountable?

Page 6 of 14 [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 9:49 am

In order to learn how to drive a car, you have to actually drive a car.

I only learned to drive once I was thrust into a situation where I HAD to drive the car.

I had 70 lessons--no success. It was because I wasn't actively participating in my learning.

No book, no instructor (most of the time) is as good as actual hands-on-experience.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 10:11 am

Quote:
In order to learn how to drive a car, you have to actually drive a car.

True, and one has to have the knowledge on how to drive correctly as well. Welcome to Holland is right about all except for the lack of initiative part. It was an informational problem as I correctly concluded.

I should have looked that component up, I did just now and the info is out there. I should've taken the things I did with programming and applied it there as well. I didn't think of it because I didn't generalize what I did to learn programming to other areas. Without the knowledge that I should've generalized it never would've occurred to me to look it up or it was possible to look it up.

I have to learn to generalize from one situation to others and consciously make the effort to do that but not over-generalize.

Quote:
I only learned to drive once I was thrust into a situation where I HAD to drive the car.

I am better in my driving ability that I was in the past. I'm sure there is still room for improvement. Always is.

Quote:
I had 70 lessons--no success. It was because I wasn't actively participating in my learning.

The only way I learned how to code was teaching myself to code.

Quote:
No book, no instructor (most of the time) is as good as actual hands-on-experience.

Agreed! :) I hope you have an awesome new year my friend.

All of this is a learning experience and I learned some things here that. I think the 1st thing I need to do is to get a psychologist, coach, etc who is ASD trained and certified and ditch the ones whom are not.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 12:05 pm

http://www.jobsearchonline.bc.ca/Job%20 ... iative.htm

Welcome To Holland brought up "taking initiative." Here is what I found. Some of it is so confusing.

http://www.jobsearchonline.bc.ca/Job%20 ... iative.htm

Quote:
Begin new tasks before you are told?

How does one notice the new tasks before one is told? There have been times that something's have been blatant and in my face yet I don't notice. I have no idea on how to Begin new tasks if one doesn't notice them. How does one know what to observe in the 1st place?

In fact, how do I know that I'm authorized to do said tasks? What if I thought a task needed to be done but I wasn't the one who was supposed to do it? How do I determine the allowable parameters meaning my authorization and clearance levels?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 1:45 pm

Your problem is not lack of information, there is a lot of information available to you to learn about doing common things like applying for jobs and driving cars. This seems like a lie that you are telling yourself.

Here is eggsample of begin new task before I am told:
It pops into my mind that I might want to compute XYZ from my data and compare between condition 1 and condition 2 of my eggsperiment. The computation is relatively involved, but I code and run it over two days to get the results that suggest novel difference between condition 1 and condition 2. No one told me to do these things, as XYZ was something that popped into my mind while working on my project, as new ideas tend to come to mind when one is working on a project and one's mind is full of thoughts related to it. After I get the results, I email professor to tell him what I did, why I did it, what results are, and what he thinks. If I had a big idea to do a whole new eggsperiment or study, I wouldn't go ahead and do it on my own. Instead, I would ask my professor if he thinks it is a good idea before I proceed.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 2:37 pm

You keep bringing up falsifiable hypotheses and logical arguments as if such were highly adaptive towards living one's life or that they direct science research, but anyone who does any science research knows that researchers don't generally start with falsifiable hypotheses, logical arguments, or much information about what is being studied. The point of research is to add knowledge where it has run out, thus an eggstreme lack of information and trial-and-error to gain new knowledge. Research projects generally start on hunches and a made-up idea that something might work a certain way in the brain or cells or in the sun or doing this thing might cause the desired outcome of much greater yield on this chemical reaction. Sometimes, something seems to work in a eggsperiment, and researchers don't know why it worked, but they go with it while lacking information and unable to logically justify what they are doing. Perhaps they can figure it out later, but meanwhile, they'll take the outcome and push forwards. This is what a "scientific mind" is.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 3:58 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
You keep bringing up falsifiable hypotheses and logical arguments as if such were highly adaptive towards living one's life or that they direct science research, but anyone who does any science research knows that researchers don't generally start with falsifiable hypotheses, logical arguments, or much information about what is being studied. The point of research is to add knowledge where it has run out, thus an eggstreme lack of information and trial-and-error to gain new knowledge. Research projects generally start on hunches and a made-up idea that something might work a certain way in the brain or cells or in the sun or doing this thing might cause the desired outcome of much greater yield on this chemical reaction. Sometimes, something seems to work in a eggsperiment, and researchers don't know why it worked, but they go with it while lacking information and unable to logically justify what they are doing. Perhaps they can figure it out later, but meanwhile, they'll take the outcome and push forwards. This is what a "scientific mind" is.

Inherent in the scientific method is the idea of falsifiability. It means that one has the inherent possibility of proving an hypothesis, statement or theory false.

Example Hypothesis: All Swans are White. Let's say I find a Swan that is Black. I've disproven the hypothesis.

In a scientific experiment one has to start off with a hypothesis that is inherently falsifiable. Yes, One has to start off with a falsifiable hypothesis, come up with the parameters of the experiment, do the experiment, analyze the experiment and draw the conclusions which prove or disprove the original hypothesis. Even with hunches and gut feelings one still has to draw up this falsifiable hypothesis from it.

Now, the belief in America is today that belief manifests reality. If one believes one can do x or x can be done then it can be done and if one doesn't believe one can do x or x can't be done then it can't be done.

(Belief >>> Ability or Belief implies Ability) and (Lack of Belief >>> Inability or Lack of Belief implies Inability). This is one of the maxims of American beliefs and the American Belief system which Henry Ford helps to enshrine.

Consider this the hypothesis. (Belief >>> Ability or Belief implies Ability) and (Lack of Belief >>> Inability or Lack of Belief implies Inability). >>> = implies

The problem inherent to this is the lack of falsifiability. It's not possible based upon societal attitude to provide an alternative hypothesis of the belief or lack of belief causing ability or inability. This hypothesis doesn't have the ability of being refutable. No counter argument is acceptable.

It's like being tried for crime x and by putting forth a defense I'm committing a crime.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 4:49 pm

I am not talking about falsifiability of hypotheses in science, I am talking about doing science and living life through requiring that all of one's actions have to be based on falsifiable hypotheses for oneself to try to do something. I doubt that most people in America ackshuly believe that if they believe that they can do something that thing can definitely be done. Instead, people who are positive about themselves being able to do something generally believe that there is non-zero chance that something can be done and they have ability to try to do it, even though they may lack much information needed to do it, but they can learn as they go. In some cases, they do the thing and prove that the thing can be done. Such thinking and acting may lead to greater results in some area of pursuit than opposite pattern, while most leaps of understanding in science result from such thinking and acting applied quite strongly.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 5:12 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I am not talking about falsifiability of hypotheses in science, I am talking about doing science and living life through requiring that all of one's actions have to be based on falsifiable hypotheses for oneself to try to do something. I doubt that most people in America ackshuly believe that if they believe that they can do something that thing can definitely be done. Instead, people who are positive about themselves being able to do something generally believe that there is non-zero chance that something can be done and they have ability to try to do it, even though they may lack much information needed to do it, but they can learn as they go. In some cases, they do the thing and prove that the thing can be done. Such thinking and acting may lead to greater results in some area of pursuit than opposite pattern, while most leaps of understanding in science result from such thinking and acting applied quite strongly.

Here is what I don't understand. Why is one's consciousness is treated as the primacy instead of existence being treated as the primacy?

What is the extent that one's attitude, which is a part of one's consciousness, can influence external reality? What are the limits of one's abilities and how does one delineate if one's attitude is impairing his ability or if it really is something else other than attitude? What are my constraints exactly in what I can and can't do?

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 5:29 pm

To prove that a given problem is solvable, all you need to do is find one potential solution.

To prove that a given problem is insolvable, you need to find every possible solution and determine each one infeasible. That's... almost an impossible task. :wink:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 5:32 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

Here is what I don't understand. Why is one's consciousness is treated as the primacy instead of existence being treated as the primacy?

What is the extent that one's attitude, which is a part of one's consciousness, can influence external reality? What are the limits of one's abilities and how does one delineate if one's attitude is impairing his ability or if it really is something else other than attitude? What are my constraints exactly in what I can and can't do?

I don't think that anyone knows what eggsacly are their constraints in all areas. I don't know, I only know that I tend to do well in some areas and bad in other areas. One can't know eggsacly what are the limits of abilities. One can't know what are all the factors impairing ability to do something. One can't know eggsacly the contribution of one's attitude towards influencing one's behaviors that may influence things outside oneself. For factors outside oneself, one also can't know eggsacly.

Knowing eggsacly all these parameters is not necessary for trying to do something or doing something successfully, but using not knowing eggsacly as reason for not trying or reason that one can't do something and avoiding action towards something is less likely to lead to positive outcomes in common pursuits for most people.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 5:39 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Quote:
I read your blog post, cubedemon, and I did not see much beyond analysis of why you can't+can't+can't

It seems like a bunch of eggscuses for why you shouldn't work..

I analyzed myself, my thoughts, the way I think, what employers including Mr. Richard Bronson thinks and the user comments on his article. It is highly improbable based upon empirical evidence of what employers want and desire and the way I think and how my mind works that I will mesh with them and American society at large. It is somewhat likely but highly improbably that my attitude is a major factor.

Quote:
I doubt that I have any better social skills or workplace understanding than you do, and I could probably analyze things the same way to make eggscuses for why I shouldn't work.

How do you know what your level of social skills is compared to mine?

Quote:
I could also say that XYZ is not thrilling enough for me, at which point I could also choose not to try for a position in XYZ that might give me work eggsperience to put on my resume so I could get a more thrilling job later.

I never claimed I desired anything thrilling or not. All I did was state one of the reasons I had a difficult time at a job I did have because without the thrill of figuring out how to crack code it became like mount Everest. I did things to keep my focus like slap myself on the face when no one was looking, splashing cold water on my face and even drinking coffee. Programming became mount Everest for me because the thrill of understanding it was gone. It wasn't the same. I even pepped talked myself.

If I was able to work again and got a job it would be something I would have to suck up and deal with but for me it's a major obstacle. This combined with my other parts of my thought process makes it highly improbable for me to be able to hold a job. It takes its toll though and when one goes against the grain all the time and one has to go against who he is all the time it slowly wears one down. Imagine having to run constantly almost non-stop even when one's muscles hurt and eventually wear down. That's what it is like for me. Analyzing and understanding is a part of who and what I am. It is part of the very depths of my soul. W/O that it's like a living hell in my mind. I have to understand and need to understand. Like I said, I would try to deal w it the best I could.

Quote:
I could introspect on my personality traits making me unfit to work in IT, like me hating verbal communication even emails, or me hating teamwork, or I might still try for a job that requires these activities, but see what happens on the job, how much I can minimize what I dislike and maximize what I like.

By the way, many of the people in technical fields like IT and STEM research are eggstremely introverted too, my professor even told me that he thinks social is not good for researcher, and others even said that they thought people seemed to get more stupid after they got more social.

It could be possible that you're right. If you are then it's not an attitude problem but an informational problem. Even labpet said to reframe right? If it is informational then I need the correct information and logic to reframe my thoughts and reasoning to, not an attitude adjustment and no one to raise my self-esteem.

You're a scientist right with a scientific mind right?

Now, I'm talking to both labpet and you bttyr. The problem with positivity I have is that it is not falsifiable. It's not possible to present any other hypothesis that one has an inability to do x without attitude being the cause. Why? Labpet, how do you figure I'm just being negative or just making excuses? Why isn't another hypothesis possible?

Example: http://whyifailedinamerica1.wordpress.c ... /attitude/

Look at especially the driving example. It wasn't my negativity that held me back. It was a lack of info that held me back on my driving ability.

If I say I can't do x, how do you scientifically rule out anything other than my attitude?

Henry Ford said 'Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.' Can his maxim ever be falsified?

I am surprised no one has ever told you you needed to look behind you first before switching lanes. I was told this in Driver's Ed by my teacher when we were out driving. My mom told me I had to see the whole car in the rear view mirror first before moving back into the lane so I am not cutting them off.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 6:28 pm

Quote:
I am surprised no one has ever told you you needed to look behind you first before switching lanes. I was told this in Driver's Ed by my teacher when we were out driving. My mom told me I had to see the whole car in the rear view mirror first before moving back into the lane so I am not cutting them off.

That's what I needed to know and now I know. The problem is people try to increase my self-esteem and my attitude which is based upon the self-esteem movement. Self-Esteem and Positivity has to be based on something tangible not something out of thin air. All some people keep doing on here and irl is feeding me crap from the self esteem movement. I don't want phony self-esteem, I want something real and tangible.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 6:48 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Quote:

That's what I needed to know and now I know. The problem is people try to increase my self-esteem and my attitude which is based upon the self-esteem movement. Self-Esteem and Positivity has to be based on something tangible not something out of thin air. All some people keep doing on here and irl is feeding me crap from the self esteem movement. I don't want phony self-esteem, I want something real and tangible.

Or it could be that what you keep doing is choosing to believe that people are feeding you crap from the self-esteem movement. I answered some of your questions about how I thought and acted to find some jobs, and it is your choice to believe what you want about them, whether they are crap about self-esteem or something real and tangible.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 7:20 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Quote:

Or it could be that what you keep doing is choosing to believe that people are feeding you crap from the self-esteem movement. I answered some of your questions about how I thought and acted to find some jobs, and it is your choice to believe what you want about them, whether they are crap about self-esteem or something real and tangible.

No need to get angry with me! I'm just simply asking questions to understand things better.

I will be analyzing all of the data you've given me and data from others over time to help draw some sound conclusions.

One of them is that I need to simply accept certain things or do certain things without the understanding of the components under the hood sorta speak. In other words, "When in Rome, Do as the Romans Do!" Don't worry. I will succeed somewhere, someway somehow.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 7:24 pm

One thing that I learned from reading Temple Grandin's Thinking in Pictures is about how she got into the field of animal behavior, how she contacted someone working in the field and that person helped guide her entry into the field. I read that she had done such a thing, so I generalized what she did into something that I also could try, then I took action to try it, and it worked for me too, after multiple attempts.

Something that someone else did successfully, you could also generalize in your mind into something that you could try, then take action to try it. I did not contact Temple Grandin to ask her all the details of what she did, and her details might not directly apply to me or work for me anyway. From her, I got this general idea of how to get into area of interest, and the details I implemented myself, such as looking up stuff on internet and emailing people. Those tasks of finding information about science topics and writing emails asking about how to get into a research area and if there were any positions in a lab, I already knew how to do. I did not ask someone how to write the emails, because I had the questions in my mind already, so I just put them in writing in the emails. If I had not known how to write the emails, I would have asked someone how to do it. I could have posted my question on wp, another forum, or some site like yahoo answers or quora.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 7:43 pm

Quote:
One thing that I learned from reading Temple Grandin's Thinking in Pictures is about how she got into the field of animal behavior, how she contacted someone working in the field and that person helped guide her entry into the field. I read that she had done such a thing, so I generalized what she did into something that I also could try, then I took action to try it, and it worked for me too, after multiple attempts.

Something that someone else did successfully, you could also generalize in your mind into something that you could try, then take action to try it. I did not contact Temple Grandin to ask her all the details of what she did, and her details might not directly apply to me or work for me anyway. From her, I got this general idea of how to get into area of interest, and the details I implemented myself, such as looking up stuff on internet and emailing people. Those tasks of finding information about science topics and writing emails asking about how to get into a research area and if there were any positions in a lab, I already knew how to do. I did not ask someone how to write the emails, because I had the questions in my mind already, so I just put them in writing in the emails. If I had not known how to write the emails, I would have asked someone how to do it. I could have posted my question on wp, another forum, or some site like yahoo answers or quora.

Thanks, I will be placing an order for her book on amazon. You know, I do appreciate your patience with me and my questioning. I will give what you said, the guy who brought up godel, welcometoholland and others lots of thought.