Someone Marry Barry, Aspergers and Aspartners

Page 7 of 9 [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 2:47 pm

Quote:
Probably depends on which part of America you are in. Here in the New York metropolitan area, America has multiple cultures and identities.
We have Mohawks upstate along the Canadian border (real Americans!) and we have many many immigrant communities with slightly varied identities. We also have variations in the protestant, white mainstream (a distinct minority in many areas). Connecticut is not New York and New York is not New Jersey and Long Island has a different culture than the Adirondacks, etc.

No, I do not live in a culturally/racially/religiously homogeneous area. But which Americans think democracy is a bad idea? Or that women shouldn't be allowed to drive? Or that children should be sent to work in factories? I'm sure there are a few, but not many. Those ideas are not part of our American culture.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 2:56 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
What do you think of my blog overall?

I liked many parts of it and found other parts that I disagreed with or wanted to challenge--but I felt commenting on it would be a huge undertaking and I set it aside to do later, Then I discovered Coursera and got carried away and did five classes simultaneously. (just got my "with distinction" certificates for the first two! :D

I would love to discuss your blog a greater length and will get back it now that some time is opening up.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 3:20 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
Probably depends on which part of America you are in. Here in the New York metropolitan area, America has multiple cultures and identities.
We have Mohawks upstate along the Canadian border (real Americans!) and we have many many immigrant communities with slightly varied identities. We also have variations in the protestant, white mainstream (a distinct minority in many areas). Connecticut is not New York and New York is not New Jersey and Long Island has a different culture than the Adirondacks, etc.

No, I do not live in a culturally/racially/religiously homogeneous area. But which Americans think democracy is a bad idea? Or that women shouldn't be allowed to drive? Or that children should be sent to work in factories? I'm sure there are a few, but not many. Those ideas are not part of our American culture.

A lot of right wing Americans think people they disagree with should not be able to vote.

Child labor laws, women's suffrage and the notion of civil rights are relatively recent developments in US history. There are those on the right who thing of these changes as a bad thing, to be reversed if possible.

The battles over the Voting Rights Act are a clear sign that the love of Democracy is not a universal value in contemporary America.

And of course children shouldn't work, unless they are poor. Then would it be fair to deny the opportunity to earn some of their benefits? (I am not making this argument up!! !)

As for women driving... It's an accepted reality in America today, but this situation did not arrive without controversy: http://www.autolife.umd.umich.edu/Gende ... rview2.htm
And I certainly have heard plenty of stupid, sexist jokes about "women drivers" -- I presume that the men who tell these jokes feel uncomfortable in some way about sharing the road with women.

But I take your point, and I am grateful for the unions and the labor movement that ended child factory work --and the suffragettes who gave women the right to vote that paved the way for so many other rights --and Martin Luther King Jr and the heroes of the civil rights movement who finally brought democracy to America.

Pushing America to respect rights, protect children and embrace democracy was hard work and those battles only slowly won and still widely contested (e.g., Rick Perry) but it's great that we can look at the results of all that struggle as parts of a political culture that most of us share.

Last edited by Adamantium on 25 Jun 2014, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EmileMulder
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jun 2014, 3:23 pm

Hi all, sorry didn't read through all of this but I watched the trailer...I didn't read ASD at all from the character. He's oozing charisma, but he's also very self-absorbed, which makes him occasionally socially clueless. Those are all fine traits for a character in a comedy, but they really don't describe ASD. I don't get the impression that they were actually trying to portray ASD either. Although people with ASD can have social deficits like that character, they're usually trying to understand social situations and just unable to do so (unlike that character, who fails because he isn't trying). I won't get into the whole Aspartners thing again, but as others have said - those people have some problems, they're a small minority and they should be ignored.

If anyone is interested in a good movie about an ASD romantic relationship, you should check out Adam: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185836/

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 3:39 pm

I second what BuyerBeware said. I visited ASPartners a while back and noticed women trying to pick up men who came there for support. It was obvious and desperate, as well as disgusting considering that the men were still in committed relationships. One man was saying how he loved his wife and just wanted some help communicating with her, and the ASPartner women were telling him to give up and leave her, and offering their phone numbers! Crazy witches.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 5:26 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
I second what BuyerBeware said. I visited ASPartners a while back and noticed women trying to pick up men who came there for support. It was obvious and desperate, as well as disgusting considering that the men were still in committed relationships. One man was saying how he loved his wife and just wanted some help communicating with her, and the ASPartner women were telling him to give up and leave her, and offering their phone numbers! Crazy witches.

OMG I didn't know this. What a bunch of skanks they are.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 5:39 pm

I am not really surprised. They seem to try way too hard to always say how nice they are.

BuyerBeware, that is really awful.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 5:40 pm

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
I am not really surprised. They seem to try way too hard to always say how nice they are.

BuyerBeware, that is really awful.

You were right. They're awful.

AutisticGuy1981
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jun 2014, 5:49 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/aspiedivorce/messages/?msg=782.1

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/someone ... /trailers/

Is this what we Aspies are like in public? I don't think I am. I would never dream of acting the way the two main protagonists do. Yet these women say their spouses are like this and aspies are like this which I don't believe so. Do we come across like this? I'm just concerned.

there are two types of aspies the ones who say to much and the passive ones that say very little or nothing.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 6:14 pm

They are like nazis. They all hate aspies and act like we are psychopaths or something and out to get them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 7:26 pm

League_Girl wrote:
They are like nazis. They all hate aspies and act like we are psychopaths or something and out to get them.

I agree!

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 12:12 am

Adamantium wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
What do you think of my blog overall?

I liked many parts of it and found other parts that I disagreed with or wanted to challenge--but I felt commenting on it would be a huge undertaking and I set it aside to do later, Then I discovered Coursera and got carried away and did five classes simultaneously. (just got my "with distinction" certificates for the first two! :D

I would love to discuss your blog a greater length and will get back it now that some time is opening up.

Yes, please do.

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 5:15 am

As someone who does participate in the ASPartners forum I can say a couple of things:

1. Yes, there are some people there who are unbalanced who see Aspies as evil and suspect they're hiding under every rock waiting to do malice (I exaggerate, but not much). That's not healthy and I try to avoid engaging with those people. I also firmly believe it's really unhelpful to those who want to stay with their partners and those with kids on the spectrum.
2. I still find it a very helpful group to be a part of because many of the women (and the rare man) share many of the frustrations and experiences that I'm going through.
3. My husband is abusive and I firmly believe he is on the AS. I came here to learn about it. I find a number of people who are helpful but also a number who are apologists for common Aspie behaviour than can be moderated or worked around if people want to be in a successful partnership. Some of his abusive behaviour is related to AS (the meltdowns - which are frightening and abusive and stressful to tiptoe around and try to avoid). Some of it isn't. But the AS affects the whole relationship because he's unable to provide support to me when I need it and he's unable to see how his behaviour is affecting me our son and our marriage.
4. I haven't personally seen pickup behaviours, not saying it's not there - and I believe that people who claim they saw this are telling the truth. But calling us all skanks, crazy and comparing us to Nazis isn't dissimilar to the behaviour you're complaining about.
5. Saying that 'you married the guy' doesn't cut it. At the beginning of our relationship I chose to be with my husband because of a whole variety of other factors that made sense at the time. I fell in love. I was his 'special interest' and it was intensely flattering. I ignored red flags. Not only am I no longer his special interest (apparently I'm not nearly as interesting as Dungeons and Dragons) but the relationship changed dramatically after I had a child. It put stress on him that he can't handle and he's reacted badly - abusively.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 7:19 am

All I can say is, I wish I saw more people there with your attitude. If I/we had, it might have turned out to be a viable resource for learning how to deal with some of our issues (and a place where he could vent some frustration to other people who Get It).

That is not, of course, to say that ASPartners is useless for everyone, shouldn't exist, blah-blah-blah. I'm sure it's very useful as a restorative tool for someone who's been kicked around by a JackAspie (see subheading your husband, who by all accounts is in a lot more trouble than just having Asperger's).

It is, however, to say that it's not a good tool for an Aspie (CubeDemon) looking for a candid, unfiltered, and/or unadulterated view on "what people REALLY think of me when they're not just being polite."

Always seemed like a cat sanctuary to me...

...but I guess that's OK. It seems as if the typical "I'm-hurt" behavior of NT women is to get together in a gang and speak cattily. This is, I imagine, why I do not enjoy "Ladies Night," have only two female friends, and do not care to 1) have both of them in the same place at the same time, or 2) make too many more.

If it makes you feel understood, salves your injuries, helps you deal with the day, and et cetera (especially while not harming anyone unless they choose to stick their nose where it doesn't belong), go for it. Glad it works.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 7:22 am

elkclan wrote:
As someone who does participate in the ASPartners forum I can say a couple of things:

1. Yes, there are some people there who are unbalanced who see Aspies as evil and suspect they're hiding under every rock waiting to do malice (I exaggerate, but not much). That's not healthy and I try to avoid engaging with those people. I also firmly believe it's really unhelpful to those who want to stay with their partners and those with kids on the spectrum.
2. I still find it a very helpful group to be a part of because many of the women (and the rare man) share many of the frustrations and experiences that I'm going through.
3. My husband is abusive and I firmly believe he is on the AS. I came here to learn about it. I find a number of people who are helpful but also a number who are apologists for common Aspie behaviour than can be moderated or worked around if people want to be in a successful partnership. Some of his abusive behaviour is related to AS (the meltdowns - which are frightening and abusive and stressful to tiptoe around and try to avoid). Some of it isn't. But the AS affects the whole relationship because he's unable to provide support to me when I need it and he's unable to see how his behaviour is affecting me our son and our marriage.
4. I haven't personally seen pickup behaviours, not saying it's not there - and I believe that people who claim they saw this are telling the truth. But calling us all skanks, crazy and comparing us to Nazis isn't dissimilar to the behaviour you're complaining about.

5. Saying that 'you married the guy' doesn't cut it. At the beginning of our relationship I chose to be with my husband because of a whole variety of other factors that made sense at the time. I fell in love. I was his 'special interest' and it was intensely flattering. I ignored red flags. Not only am I no longer his special interest (apparently I'm not nearly as interesting as Dungeons and Dragons) but the relationship changed dramatically after I had a child. It put stress on him that he can't handle and he's reacted badly - abusively.

No, they are not all awful. I lurk there for a bit sometimes when the site comes up in threads here. There is usually a voice or two calling for moderation either just out of reasonableness or sometimes to ask for some sensitivity b.c of the prevalence of aspie children that result from their relationships. There may be more people who are thinking the same and don't post it. I still think that the general tone is awful and one that Cubedemon should stay away from.

There is no excuse for abuse, no matter who is doing it. I am not going to be presumptuous and tell you what you should do, as you have not asked for advice. You should not have to put up with abuse from a spouse.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 7:40 am

elkclan wrote:

I am very sorry that your husband is abusive and glad that you have a place to share experiences. I have only looked through that site a couple of times and in those brief visits encountered posts calling for mass genetic screening so autistic children could be aborted and mass testing so that autistic people could be identified and segregated from the NT population. I see words used to describe autistic people in a deliberately dehumanizing way and I agree that there is a direct similarity between calling aspartners members "skanks" and the way the describe the people they hate. But there is a lot of hate there, and a lot of sharing of hate. I don't believe that there is any therapeutic value in that. Rather, I think bathing in the intensity of hate helps people to avoid other more subtle feelings that could actually help them recover from their fractured lives. Comparing such eugenics talk and hate sharing with nazis is not at all unreasonable. I very much doubt that exposing yourself to that kind of hate-sharing is going to help any parent raise an autistic child. I cannot imagine how I would feel if I discovered one of my parents reading such material about people like me, but I can easily imagine it being the source of an irreconcilable breach in the relationship.

If you look at what is being said there with as objective an eye as possible in your circumstances, I suspect you would notice a preponderance of deeply troubling sentiment too.