Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 3:20 am

Hi all its been a little while since posting. hope you are all well.

I just wanted to post to see if your kids were as extreme as mine when it comes to change.
I got back from the hair dressers a little while ago and my 10 year old aspie son is very distressed.
I had my hair trimmed and coloured ( to hide the gray). I thought it looked nice. He told me he hated it, and wont look at me unless I tie it back again like I used to. He even smacked me because I tried to touch him to reassure him I'm still me. :cry: well i just waisted a whole bunch of money. :?

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 9:33 am

My sons are similar. For them, I know that it is partially discomfort with change, and when it comes specifically to changes in personal appearance, because they experience some "face blindness" and the changes make it more difficult to recognize the person.

One day I put my hair into two braids, instead of my usual ponytail, and when I went to pick my sons up from school, one of them refused to get in the car with me until after we had talked for quite some time. I had to assure him that I was still me, and it took awhile.

I have never dyed my hair, but I can imagine that it would elicit a similar response.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 10:22 am

We cut jakes hair last week and he keeps stoping at any reflective surface and staring at himself. He was also upset when we cut his brothers hair for summer camp and kept rubbing Alex's head and looking at him like he came from outeerspace for about a week.

Jeana
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jul 2009, 4:59 pm

:roll: Been there!
Mason has a hard time with all kinds of change. He has disliked my hair color and hair style change also!
He also gets really hyper when someone is in our house working on something; for example, when we just got a different satellite tv system installed or even when we are making small changes to a room or painting a room. He doesn't exactly become upset, but he is just very "wound up" for the rest of the day and has a hard time settling down to go to sleep. And, of course, I always let him know before the change happens but it still bothers him!

:? Jeana :?

ladivegas
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2009, 12:48 am

When my 12 year old was 2 we moved and he was so upset. Mind you went from a tiny trailer to a three bedroom house and kept saying I want to move back home lets go back home.

A month ago I went back to wear glasses instead of contacts and he was with me when i picked out my frames. I tried on the ones I have they are burgendy and he said they were ugly he hated them. So I put them back and tried on a light golden frame that you could barely see on my face the color was so light.

I didnt care for them so I put the burgendy ones back on and the sales lady said she liked them better too. So I bought them and received a lot of compliments on them. My son still hates them.

My son also hates it when I hug him. he will only hug me if he chooses to.

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 11:56 pm

Thanks all who replied. :D
I spoke with my sons doc about his aversion to change, she said he is even worse than normal aspieness because of the extra ocd dx. :?