Concerta - What Is Your Experience?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 11:36 pm

I'd like to hear first-hand experiences from parents who have given their children Concerta, or from people who have taken Concerta to treat ADHD and related symptoms.

Please share the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Did it work?

Any side effects?

Thanks in advance.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 4:53 am

It worked pretty well for me but I have found nothing that takes care of all the problems associated with executive dysfunction. I have Inattentive ADD and I was never hyperactive. After several years of use I developed facial tics. I am now on Strattera.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 5:53 am

When our son was younger, he was on Metadate, and it didn't seem to be working, so we tried Concerta, Strattera, and Adderall. The Concerta just didn't seem to do ANYTHING -- but having said that, we were working with a general practitioner without much experience with Asperger's, and I am now convinced that he didn't really know much about changing dosages around until the medicine shows some effectiveness.

Concerta would be a good med in many ways, because it's extended version can last 10 to 12 hours -- WONDERFUL if your child needs a little extra help in the afternoons with homework (which mine does need). Metadate only seems to last through the school hours.

peacenik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Oct 2009, 6:24 am

It was a long time ago, can't remember the details well, but my AS/ ADD daughter took this when she was in elementary school and it worked well for her, no negative side to it at all. She decided to stop taking it as a teen and I honored this, but truthfully I think it would still help her. She's 19 now.
I also am ADD, have only tried ritalin which helps me but makes me quite anxious as it wears off, for some reason. I have thought about trying Strattera but worry as have had BAD side-effects with some anti-depressants, Effexor in particular.

Ann

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 9:08 am

Concerta is an extended-release version of Methylphenidate (Ritalin).

glamourdollxoxo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Oct 2009, 12:57 pm

I am on Concerta right now 18 mg which will be increased soon. Concerta has basically been a god send for me because I went from basically failing out of school to A's and B's and being able to stay on top of things like completing homework assignments, being organized, keeping my room clean, etc. I wish I would have started medication sooner to treat my ADHD and now that I have I feel like I finally am in control of things.