What Page support parent not talking about their children

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 6:54 pm

Hi all

Just wondering where is our page who talks about us and what we do? how we do it? what do we do to release our stresses? who comes to our aim? what services are available for us?
I think we don't even think about this yes we want support groups yes we want answers but who cares really about how we feels!!

Just a thought any one with answers?

Thanks

Annmaria

Last edited by Annmaria on 09 Feb 2011, 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kinftw
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2011, 6:56 pm

What exactly do you mean?

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 7:41 pm

I was talking about us the parents the ones that fight, struggles, shouts, screams the one the endure the daily task, the one's hear no no no I am fed up of hearing no, no,no I don't know how anyone else feels. Yes I make sure my kids are OK I fight hard for this yes everyday is a battle yes every success is seen as something really big. Yes I can talk about to those who understand but where is our page the parents where do we really unwind where do we stop talking about our kids! Where is the time for us that is what I mean

thanks

Annmaria

Kailuamom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 7:54 pm

I think what Annamaria means is that this is a parenting forum where we are here talking about our kids. She is looking for a place where the focus is less on parenting and more about just providing parents support with the difficulties we face day to day. So, like people posting about work issues or school which may be challenging because of parenting but not directly about parenting.

Did I get it right Annamaria?

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 8:14 pm

Yes you got it right just was wondering how we the parent unwinds and where do we go any suggestions! I do seem to find it here we talk about our kids which I understand but where do we go to talk about us!

I know there is other site but there are not what I am referring to!

Any Ideas!

Thanks

Annmaria

Kailuamom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 11:22 pm

Now that I know I got it right.....all I can say is ....unwind? really? I have no clue! Because of how my life is I have no friends that I get together with on any regular basis. I can't make plans for regular activites at night after work. I have no nearby family. I just work and take care of my family. There is no support. We love each other very much, so it's not all bad - but the stuff people always say "you gotta take time for yourself" - yeah, right.

At this point when I do get time to myself I don't know what to do.

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 11:13 am

We can talk about it right here, can't we? :)

I would go crazy if I couldn't make art, that's how I unwind. I art journal. I take online art workshops, because a.) it would be very difficult for me to make it to a regular class with my children's needs and b.) because of my own Aspie traits, if I can choose an activity that minimizes the face to face social component that is much more relaxing for me. Sometimes all I have time for is a few minutes a day, but even so in the end I create something that is all mine, no one can mess it up or take it away or complain that it tastes funny/feels weird/is too loud/hot/cold etc. Mixed media modern abstract is one of my main interests and outlets.

I also read voraciously (or listen to audio books when time for reading is scarce), and have a few friends that I keep in touch with online on a near daily basis (one of them has a teenage son with Aspergers). These things keep me sane and hopeful. I have something to look forward to every day, and people to share my interests and concerns with (without the stress and obligations of the people being geographically close).

My husband collects illustrative art, and does some web and book design. He has a website he maintains with his collection, and it has garnered quite a bit of attention and interest. This keeps him feeling happy and gives him a sense of accomplishment beyond the daily grind.

I really think us parents need our own interests completely separate from our children to stay healthy and happy. Sometimes it is OK to let the kids play video games/indulge in whatever their interests are while you take time for yourself...even if the house is messy or there are a hundred other things you could/should be doing. I think we need to be "selfish" and do things for ourselves regularly.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 4:25 pm

Annamaria

I think annotated_alice is right - this is as good a place as any. As far as I know there is no rule that all our posts here need to be about our kids!

What's it like in Ireland where you live? I live in Montana in what we call a city but what people from an actual city like New York or Dublin would just think of as a small town. What keeps me sane is gardening - diffuclt to do right now because we have 6 inches of snow on the ground and it got down to 3 degrees F (-16 C) last night but I know that spring is around the corner! My bulbs will be sprouting soon and I will be able to get my hands dirty again. Our local Farmer's Market has a native plant sale in the early spring and I am already planning what new plants I am going to buy and where I am going to put them. I can't wait!

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 5:20 pm

Must apologize was having a meltdown I think!! makes a change!! !

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 8:32 pm

Annmaria wrote:

We talk all the time about what is difficult for us as an parent but we never really talk about ourselves if we don't know who we are how are we able to understand our kids? just a question?

Maybe some one out there can explain do we the parents hide ourselves amongst our children not sure any suggestions

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 9:50 pm

Annmaria wrote:
Annmaria wrote:

We talk all the time about what is difficult for us as an parent but we never really talk about ourselves if we don't know who we are how are we able to understand our kids? just a question?

Maybe some one out there can explain do we the parents hide ourselves amongst our children not sure any suggestions

I'm not sure I understand the question Annmaria? Can you elaborate a little?

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 4:18 am

Hi annotated_alice

I think I just getting stressed out things still very difficult at school for my son so maybe at times not making any sense.

Thanks for you response

Annmaria

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 8:42 am

If you want to talk about something other than being a parent, try one of the other sub-forums here. I often post in the Politics, Philosophy and Religion sub-forum. Random sub-forum is for talking about any silly thing that pops into your head. There is an excellent thread where you can talk about what you dreamed last night and other posters will interpret it. There is a sub-forum for Art, Music and Writing and one for TV and Movies. Lots of other things to talk about besides parenting, but on the other sub forums. I personally suggest Random. It's a great place to talk about what you dreamed last night, your favorite flavor of ice cream, what your username means and other fun things.