Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2008
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,424

17 Feb 2011, 9:08 pm

I was trying to buy sunglasses at a sunglasses hut in a particular mall. There was three sunglasses hut. One was in Macy's and another was on level 2 and the third one was on level 3. I called one of the stores and asked this guy what level your store was on. He told me it was above the food court. The food court was on level 1.

Here was the problem. They were both above the food court. Level 3 is above Level 1 and Level 2 is above Level 1. I asked him will you please give me the exact level number because I don't know what you mean? The guy got an attitude with me. He would not give me the exact level number. I had to get off of the phone because I was about to have a meltdown. What exactly did I do wrong? In my mind he gave me an vague answer and I was asking for clarification.



crosstitchc
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 19

17 Feb 2011, 10:28 pm

To my way of thinking, I believe that would have meant the one on the 2nd floor, or the floor directly above the food court. But there's nothing wrong with asking for clarification if you're not sure what someone means, and even if the guy didn't know why you weren't understanding him, he is nevertheless an employee of a company and needs to have better customer service manners than that!

I don't know how the entire conversation went from beginning to end, but with what you posted, you're fine.

Sorry you went thru that, but good job getting off the phone before you had a meltdown. :)



TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jul 2010
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 29,539
Location: California

17 Feb 2011, 10:35 pm

Generally speaking, when someone says '____ is above ____', they mean right above. As in the next level.

This guy probably got an attitude with you because most people get the vague term and so don't think about it much. He either thought you were messing with him (prank calling) or doesn't deal well when he thinks someone is stupid.


_________________
Still looking for that blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I've ever seen.


missykrissy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 319

17 Feb 2011, 11:48 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Generally speaking, when someone says '____ is above ____', they mean right above. As in the next level.

This guy probably got an attitude with you because most people get the vague term and so don't think about it much. He either thought you were messing with him (prank calling) or doesn't deal well when he thinks someone is stupid.


or maybe he thought you were thinking he was stupid and got offended that you didn't understand him when he put the directions as clearly as he could?



AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,260
Location: Houston, Texas

18 Feb 2011, 12:06 am

crosstitchc wrote:
. . . even if the guy didn't know why you weren't understanding him, he is nevertheless an employee of a company and needs to have better customer service manners than that! . . .

The guy acted like a jerk when he didn't have to.

He could have told you the floor, and he could have even asked, 'What kind of sunglasses are you looking for?' and started a little bit back and forth conversation, which is what pre-sales is. He could have even said 'Please ask for ________ when you come in.'

But apparently, all this is above him, or he has a severe dose of customer-itis, or whatever. It is his problem.

---------

The only thing you can do in such a case is to fold the hand. Maybe practice one or two general bailout skills such as saying 'Okay, thank you,' and hanging up the phone.



TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jul 2010
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 29,539
Location: California

18 Feb 2011, 1:51 am

missykrissy wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Generally speaking, when someone says '____ is above ____', they mean right above. As in the next level.

This guy probably got an attitude with you because most people get the vague term and so don't think about it much. He either thought you were messing with him (prank calling) or doesn't deal well when he thinks someone is stupid.


or maybe he thought you were thinking he was stupid and got offended that you didn't understand him when he put the directions as clearly as he could?


This is definitely a possibility.


_________________
Still looking for that blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I've ever seen.


cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2008
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,424

18 Feb 2011, 10:32 am

The guy sounded like he was from the ghetto.



cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2008
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,424

18 Feb 2011, 10:34 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
crosstitchc wrote:
. . . even if the guy didn't know why you weren't understanding him, he is nevertheless an employee of a company and needs to have better customer service manners than that! . . .

The guy acted like a jerk when he didn't have to.

He could have told you the floor, and he could have even asked, 'What kind of sunglasses are you looking for?' and started a little bit back and forth conversation, which is what pre-sales is. He could have even said 'Please ask for ________ when you come in.'

But apparently, all this is above him, or he has a severe dose of customer-itis, or whatever. It is his problem.

---------

The only thing you can do in such a case is to fold the hand. Maybe practice one or two general bailout skills such as saying 'Okay, thank you,' and hanging up the phone.


Actually, I did say the exact words you said.



cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2008
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,424

18 Feb 2011, 10:36 am

missykrissy wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Generally speaking, when someone says '____ is above ____', they mean right above. As in the next level.

This guy probably got an attitude with you because most people get the vague term and so don't think about it much. He either thought you were messing with him (prank calling) or doesn't deal well when he thinks someone is stupid.


or maybe he thought you were thinking he was stupid and got offended that you didn't understand him when he put the directions as clearly as he could?


I don't understand missykrissy. I was attempting to give him a model as well and show him how to clarify it for me. I was trying to tell him to consider the bottom floor as number one and to go up from there. The food court was on the 1st floor. One sunglasses hut was on the 2nd and the other was ont he 3rd.



Kailuamom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 660

18 Feb 2011, 12:19 pm

I think he would have answered to the following... are you one or two floors above the food court? If he couldn't answer that way, then he was just stupid and was doing the best he could.



TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jul 2010
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 29,539
Location: California

18 Feb 2011, 4:26 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
missykrissy wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Generally speaking, when someone says '____ is above ____', they mean right above. As in the next level.

This guy probably got an attitude with you because most people get the vague term and so don't think about it much. He either thought you were messing with him (prank calling) or doesn't deal well when he thinks someone is stupid.


or maybe he thought you were thinking he was stupid and got offended that you didn't understand him when he put the directions as clearly as he could?


I don't understand missykrissy. I was attempting to give him a model as well and show him how to clarify it for me. I was trying to tell him to consider the bottom floor as number one and to go up from there. The food court was on the 1st floor. One sunglasses hut was on the 2nd and the other was ont he 3rd.


I've learned most people find this to be either condescending or stupid, depending on how it's worded.

In essence... it could have been either one.


_________________
Still looking for that blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I've ever seen.


Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Mar 2010
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,517
Location: Big Sky Country

21 Feb 2011, 11:13 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
The guy sounded like he was from the ghetto.


No offense to you intended as it sounds like he acted very unprofessionally to say the least, but have you considered that perhaps he picked up on the attitude expressed in this post? When we judge people like this, it can come through in our words without us really being aware of it.



cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2008
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,424

21 Feb 2011, 10:25 pm

Bombaloo wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
The guy sounded like he was from the ghetto.


No offense to you intended as it sounds like he acted very unprofessionally to say the least, but have you considered that perhaps he picked up on the attitude expressed in this post? When we judge people like this, it can come through in our words without us really being aware of it.


I just realized when I reread this. I was not meaning to judge him to be a bad or good guy. In fact, I wasn't trying to judge him at all.



aann
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 509

22 Feb 2011, 12:17 am

Hi,
This kind of miscommunication happens to NT people too.



DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Age: 61
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,191
Location: Northern California

22 Feb 2011, 5:43 pm

Above is assumed to mean directly above. Otherwise, they would tell you "above on the X floor." He may not even have been aware of the other store, and that other store was not above the food court, so he probably couldn't think of any other way to say it. Happens with NT's who don't require such precise language; question answered, and not understanding the confusion, just can't think of a way to rephrase.

I am sorry you got so frustrated, and had a bad experience.

My out for all these things now is the honest, "I'm sorry, I wear hearing aids, and I'm not sure if I heard you correctly. To help me out, can you tell me if you are the store the directory says is on the 2nd floor, or the store the directory says is on the 3rd floor?" Amazing how useful it can be to explain you're going deaf. People get a lot nicer because now they know I"m not trying to be annoying or dense, I'm just disabled.


_________________
Mom to an amazing AS son, who recently graduated from the university (plus an also amazing non-AS daughter). Most likely part of the "Broader Autism Phenotype" (some traits).