Page 4 of 18 [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 3:09 am

Wreck-Gar wrote:
I don't know if I am on the spectrum or not but after reading up on ASD's for my son, I suspect I may be. I might not have enough symptoms now to qualify for a diagnosis (and I'm not going to take the time and money on one just to satisfy my curiosity) but I might have when I was younger...but AS did not exist as a diagnosis back in the dark ages, LOL.

You know what the hardest thing for me is? I'm generally someone who won't talk much if he doesn't have anything to say. Small talk and me do not mix. Well that means that for my ASD son, he is not really verbal yet and I know he needs a lot of interaction with his parents. But if he's just sitting there not talking, I'll just do the same thing. Does that make any sense?

Try some online tests
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html
http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php
http://blogs.abc.net.au/allinthemind/20 ... or-no.html

I've done half a dozen tests now and scored well into the spectrum.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 6:20 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Wreck-Gar wrote:
I don't know if I am on the spectrum or not but after reading up on ASD's for my son, I suspect I may be. I might not have enough symptoms now to qualify for a diagnosis (and I'm not going to take the time and money on one just to satisfy my curiosity) but I might have when I was younger...but AS did not exist as a diagnosis back in the dark ages, LOL.

You know what the hardest thing for me is? I'm generally someone who won't talk much if he doesn't have anything to say. Small talk and me do not mix. Well that means that for my ASD son, he is not really verbal yet and I know he needs a lot of interaction with his parents. But if he's just sitting there not talking, I'll just do the same thing. Does that make any sense?

Try some online tests
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html
http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php
http://blogs.abc.net.au/allinthemind/20 ... or-no.html

I've done half a dozen tests now and scored well into the spectrum.

Close but no cigar. I always score too high on the social stuff. Something happened to me around senior year of high school, I started feeling really isolated so I started going to parties etc. Not to say I'm a party animal, I'm pretty much the guy sitting in the back of the room with a beer, taking everything in.

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 7:24 pm

Wreck-Gar wrote:

I am a chatterbox on the web, but not naturally a very talkative teacher. That is why I love using flashcards, picture books, videos, and computer games with my kids. If you have good flashcards, you do not have to "talk" to teach your child--you just read straight off the flashcards. (See some examples on my speech and vocabulary channel on YouTube. All of my speech lessons with my older child--who scored in the bottom 1% on a speech test in 2007 but speaks well now--were completely scripted.) When he wasn't using flashcards, picture dictionaries, or very simple picture books with me, he was learning speech via specialized videos. No "talking" involved in using any of these materials--just reading them to the child, have him read the correct response (eventually, he will just blurt it out after you read the question for the 20th time), and playing videos.

www.freevideosforautistickids.com is my website with hundreds of links and thousands of educational videos for kids, parents and educators. Son with high-functioning classic autism, aged 7, and son with OCD/Aspergers, aged 4. I love my boys!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 12:53 am

Wreck-Gar wrote:
I started feeling really isolated so I started going to parties etc. Not to say I'm a party animal, I'm pretty much the guy sitting in the back of the room with a beer, taking everything in.

I used to get myself fairly drunk so I didn't know what was happening in the latter half of the party. I gave up drinking when I got married 10 yrs ago.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 12:59 am

blondeambition wrote:
Wreck-Gar wrote:

I am a chatterbox on the web, but not naturally a very talkative teacher. That is why I love using flashcards, picture books, videos, and computer games with my kids. If you have good flashcards, you do not have to "talk" to teach your child--you just read straight off the flashcards. (See some examples on my speech and vocabulary channel on YouTube. All of my speech lessons with my older child--who scored in the bottom 1% on a speech test in 2007 but speaks well now--were completely scripted.) When he wasn't using flashcards, picture dictionaries, or very simple picture books with me, he was learning speech via specialized videos. No "talking" involved in using any of these materials--just reading them to the child, have him read the correct response (eventually, he will just blurt it out after you read the question for the 20th time), and playing videos.

Same here. I actually worked as an ESL teacher for a few years...best technique for me was to just make the students all talk to each other. Turns out this is a good way for them to learn, too!

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 11:06 am

My journey to try and understand my children has been valueable in understanding my own issues. I am not sure if I am an aspie but I do suspect. Also I read the guide to asperger syndrome by Tony Attwood it was reading about all my own sibilings and relatives.
I got a lot of answers, understanding still learning.

I would have a lot of AS traits and sensory issues, of course I have learnt how to manage many through lifes journey. But I get stressed out so easily, and still find it difficult to express myself verbally and written. I have so much more to say at times but just can't get it out or down on paper. People always misunderstand what I am trying to say this makes me crazy! :evil: :D

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 12:48 pm

hi. i joined W P a while back and for some reason just noticed Parents' Discussion now. Thanks for starting it - I think it's a great idea as there is so much stress at times being aspergian. If I weren't a parent I 'd just quietly leave and be hermit artist with a dog and a cat up in some mountains somewhere.
As it stands I am almost hermit-like even though I have a son at home still. I'm really worried what will happen now as my daughter who is nineteen recently decided to leave town with her boyfriend. :( So my son will be alone "with the hermit". Not sure what to do.

KathySilverstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2011, 11:55 pm

I think you do need to back up your Aspie child overtly. If I were your child I would definitely be thinking you loved him more than me - because these rules don't make any sense, truly are insane, yet you continue to let it happen. He's your child, you know him best, you set down the rules. All kids need predictability and consistency. You need to be able to stick up for your child when someone is doing something clearly not in their best interests. Just my 2 cents.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 8:40 am

re: Yesterdaysmom
Is it terrible that I had a weekly bath when I was a kid? Every Saturday night, to be clean for Sunday School. I don't think that's terrible. Little kids don't secrete hormones like adults, so unless they roll in dirt they don't get stinky. I definitely don't think you need to bathe all four of them every day. In France even adults don't shower every day!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 5:13 am

League_Girl wrote:
Question:

Is it possible to suffer postpartum depression and then not have any symptoms all of a sudden and then have them again the next day?

I am not sure if I am suffering this or not. It got my attention when someone told me on Babycenter to go see a doctor about it before it gets any worse and I didn't think I had it. On work days I just get frustrated and over whelmed with my baby because he won't leave me alone and sometimes his crying gets too much and I just feel I don't want to take care of him and I feel I shut down a lot because I all of a sudden ignore his crying and not do a thing about it. I just want to do my usual things before work and my baby gets in the way but today I felt very happy and not down and stressed out and baby blues. I don't know if it's a temporary thing but it came when I started work and now it's the weekend, I feel happy again.

I will just wait and see. Maybe it's baby blues I am getting again. I just keep hoping this is all temporary.

I think I know what this was, this may have been Spring. That is what my aid used to call it because every Spring I get more anxious and antsy and hard to deal with. Mom told me I had always been this way, even as a small child. I just had something to trigger it to make me notice and that was my baby and work. As a child it was school because it adds stress.

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2011, 4:23 am

there really should be a topic for parents on the spectrum. It is very different raising kids when you the parent are on the autism spectrum. So is having Aspergers, being female and married to a somewhat NT husband. I have the difficulties with dealing with the school, difficulties with communication with my husband and definate communications problems with being on the same page when it comes to discipline for the kids. I am just recently realizing that our two boys, 6, and 10 have been "playing us" against each other. They know just what buttons to push, what to say or do to get us to argue. Then they know we both get stressed and tend to give in. It was only after my husband has been gone for a week(his mom passed away) and I am here dealing with my boys by myself. It has taken a week, but my boys know what I will put up with and what I wont. They have come to understand what my expectations are and what the consequences are. My house has been staying clean, we have been doing things together and they don't argue and fight as much (thank goodness because my voice is now gone from throat irritation and coughing all night) They know that when they are outside playing in the yard, and I blow a whistle, they need to immediately come in or else it will involve time out sitting in their rooms doing nothing(no tv, no playing, etc. Just sitting there) 5 mins for each time they are not following what they need to be doing. My oldest is good at doing as I say. My 6 year old is a whole other situation. I could say he is defiant or I could call it very strong willed. Either way, he is difficult with getting him to listen to me. Once my husband is back, I hope things keeping running smoothly, but I know it will be difficult. We need to have an agreement on what our expectations are for the kids and to agree on what the concequencse are. Also, the biggie is having one parent back the other parent up on it.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 5:54 am

I am mother to a 8 year old boy.
I find parenting a tough job i suffer from depression, moodswings and Asperger

Other parents are able to guide and help out their children well because they live
in a social circle.
I find it extremely difficult since im cut off from people.

I am no longer in touch with my parents or in-laws
the other children here are guided by parents to join sports club, dance class etc
since i feel shy approaching people i have not enrolled him in any activity

also his books and notes are incomplete i feel shy approaching other parents
and asking them about the notes...........
sometimes they have avoided my requests.

Lot of my energy is spend chasing him and making him complete his homework
or study for test. he manages to get average marks

I dont know how the situation will be once he grows up since he as become hyperactive,
backanswering, indisciplined, demanding and asking for lot of games, toys and mostly
watching TV.

do other aspies face this problem??

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 7:58 am

FrogGirl wrote:
there really should be a topic for parents on the spectrum. It is very different raising kids when you the parent are on the autism spectrum. So is having Aspergers, being female and married to a somewhat NT husband. I have the difficulties with dealing with the school, difficulties with communication with my husband and definate communications problems with being on the same page when it comes to discipline for the kids. I am just recently realizing that our two boys, 6, and 10 have been "playing us" against each other. They know just what buttons to push, what to say or do to get us to argue. Then they know we both get stressed and tend to give in. It was only after my husband has been gone for a week(his mom passed away) and I am here dealing with my boys by myself. It has taken a week, but my boys know what I will put up with and what I wont. They have come to understand what my expectations are and what the consequences are. My house has been staying clean, we have been doing things together and they don't argue and fight as much (thank goodness because my voice is now gone from throat irritation and coughing all night) They know that when they are outside playing in the yard, and I blow a whistle, they need to immediately come in or else it will involve time out sitting in their rooms doing nothing(no tv, no playing, etc. Just sitting there) 5 mins for each time they are not following what they need to be doing. My oldest is good at doing as I say. My 6 year old is a whole other situation. I could say he is defiant or I could call it very strong willed. Either way, he is difficult with getting him to listen to me. Once my husband is back, I hope things keeping running smoothly, but I know it will be difficult. We need to have an agreement on what our expectations are for the kids and to agree on what the concequencse are. Also, the biggie is having one parent back the other parent up on it.

Well there is a thread for parents on the spectrum: this one! It's not very active though I'm afraid. I agree that there has to be an agreement with the NT parent, but what I've discovered is that when your NT spouse simply refuses to educate himself on autism, it can be almost impossible for him to understand anything you do with the kids.
You end up in the same situation you would if, say, your grandmother who's always going on about discipline and "straightening those feral kids" were to come live with you. If your partner refuses to learn about autism, he shouldn't be allowed to discipline at all.
My partner finally took a step in the right direction so things are going better. Learning about autism has helped him understand ME too, which is just vital, how do you maintain a relationship with someone who refuses to learn who you really are?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 11:06 am

I am wondering if the parents who fit the description for this thread should put watches on it. While it is slow moving, the issues that come up are usually pretty important, and it is too bad it takes so long before people realize there has been an issue raised.

Since I haven't self identified as being on the spectrum (although I am getting less sure of my self-evaluation as time goes on), I usually feel like it isn't my place to provide input.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 11:34 am

FrogGirl wrote:

For the most part I think you are calling the situation right. Kids do play the parents, and
parents need to be consistent. There is one thing here I want to comment on in your examples, however, because it surprises me: that the kids should come in immediately on the whistle. We talk here so much about allowing kids transition time, to wrap up what they are doing, and I guess I am surprised that as an AS parent who probably appreciates transition time, you aren't giving it to the kids. The simple amendment is two whistle signals: the first is a five minute warning, the second (maybe this is two toots, so it is clearly different) is the immediate.

Whoever
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jan 2012, 9:08 pm

(((hugs)))

Parenting is always hard.

But, it is harder when one or more members of the household are on the spectrum.

I tend to be somewhat extroverted for an Aspie, but am still much more introverted than most NT's. My husband is a very introverted Aspie. We have a 10-year-old son with AS or HFA (depending on who you talk to). Our son is like me in that he is fairly extroverted for an Aspie. We also have a truly extroverted 7-year-old son with ADHD.

I also have bipolar with mostly depression and severe anxiety.

So, we don't have many social connections. We have some family, but they are all in other states. We don't attend church. The boys have been in private schools up until a week ago, so we have not gotten to know other kids and families in the neighborhood.

If I didn't have kids and didn't have to go to their schools, doctors, therapies, etc. I would probably just stay home alone most of the time.

It is very challenging.

Just know that you are not alone in this. It helps that I can come onto wrongplanet when I need help or advice.

Mom of a 11-year old extrovert with autism. I also have a 9-year-old extrovert NT with ADHD. My husband is an introvert Aspie, and I am an extrovert Aspie. We are a strange family, but we all love each other.