Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 4:22 am

Ive been worried about my kids eating habits for some time. I know there is a thread about this very same thing. I have been searching for ways to sneak things into the foods my kids eat but nothing has been successful. I have tried the "just taste it" thing and the "you used to love this when you were a baby" but I have been making two meals for a long time. My older daughter, who turns 19 on Saturday, was also a very picky eater. Oddly enough all three of them have been diagnosed with ASD. My youngest, my autie, actually eats better than my Aspies. I also have Asperger's but I have always loved food....I guess its one way or the other.
Anyway, I decided to buy a high powered blender. Im not advertising but I will tell you guys if you consider this to get the Omni Blend It is far cheaper than the other two comparable blenders the Blendtec and the Vitamix (I read a lot of reviews that said the vitamix falls apart after two years of use) and it also had much better reviews than both. Its really easy to use, you just throw in fresh fruits or veggies and it liquifies them. So I made a green smoothy (we made this one up ourselves but there are many different recipes) with frozen banana, kiwi, plain yogurt, a bit of orange juice, some watermelon and two handfuls of spinach. They loved it and asked for more. Im amazed!! !! I thought it tasted slightly grainy from the kiwi seeds so If we use kiwi again Ill leave it on longer. Anyway, just an idea for anyone struggling....if nothing else you can use the blender for yourself and if you cant get the kids to drink the green smoothies you can at least get some fruits and yogurt (even soy yogurt if no dairy) so they get some protein and fruit. There are recipes all over the web and I also bought an inexpensive ebook for the blender, its about eating a raw diet but it has really good recipes for soups and sauces.....I made an awesome curry sauce last night with fresh vegetables in it and I hardly had to put any work into it.....just chopped a bit and threw everything in the blender.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 5:12 am

My son always at least tastes what I give him. He will stick out his tongue and lightly touch the new food wit the tip. It's kind of cute to see... unfortunately he usually doesn't actually eat the food.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 7:13 am

ask popeye:)

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 7:20 am

Wreck-Gar wrote:
My son always at least tastes what I give him. He will stick out his tongue and lightly touch the new food wit the tip. It's kind of cute to see... unfortunately he usually doesn't actually eat the food.

My son will do the same thing. "Ok, I tasted it!" :lol:

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 11:19 am

Good deal! I hadn't thought about putting spinach in a smoothie. I wonder if mine would drink that?

On the graininess from the seeds, I try to take them out becasue it seems like no matter how liquified the mixture gets that funky texture is still there. Pretty easy to remove the kiwi seeds, just scoop out the core and seeds with a spoon but watermelon is a little harder. Even the so-called seedless watermelons have those white seeds and I thought they gave the smooties a terrible texture.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 12:50 pm

liloleme wrote:
Wreck-Gar wrote:

Don't give up, this is actually a very important step. It can take 20 "exposures" for an NT kid to accept a new food - I can't imagine that it isn't even more for a child on the spectrum. (An exposure can be anything from seeing it in the same room to actually swallowing a bite.)

However, green smoothies are a great way to go; a friend of mine loves them (she uses kale, too) - I prefer them to the other forms of "sneaking" because they don't obliterate the evidence that kids are eating a vegetable.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 1:42 pm

We JUST got my daughter to try spinach for the first time last night!

We make gnocchi - which she already likes thanks to years of repeatedly getting her to try pasta in other shapes than spaghetti and macaroni - and we mixed it lightly with spinach pesto sauce. We told her it was the white cheese sauce that she already likes but that it had spinach in it. And spinach is a leaf veggie like lettuce. She JUST starting eating lettuce on her own because of Pokemon. She considers herself a grass type and grass types eat lettuce - so she asked to try it!! ! We've been trying ALL green veggies on her with this lettuce initiative. So far - so good!

If your kids have a particular character they are into - I'd highly suggest talking to them about it and introduce questions like 'Well, what does so-and-so eat?" You can guide those answers a bit by calling out things that would suggest foods that you may like to get them to try. And I would do it slowly - subtly. Pose a question like 'Well that type of dinosaur lived on the plains... what do you think they ate on the plains?" Let them think into the answers on their own. After they've had some time to do their own thinking maybe introduce a food and ask if he thinks his favorite character would like it. And leave it at that. Leave it on the plate but don't push trying it. They may surprise you.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 2:00 pm

My mom used to do that.... She used to mix spinach in other foods... I hated spinach as a kid but now I love it!

All of a sudden I have spinach cravings now!

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 6:46 pm

liloleme wrote:
Wreck-Gar wrote:

Better than me, I couldn't even get that far when I was a kid. I was also a ridiculously picky eater at that age. I remember I would only eat a hamburger if it had "only ketchup" on it.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 3:12 am

Wreck-Gar wrote:
liloleme wrote:
Wreck-Gar wrote:

Better than me, I couldn't even get that far when I was a kid. I was also a ridiculously picky eater at that age. I remember I would only eat a hamburger if it had "only ketchup" on it.

My son is like you were....he will only eat his hamburgers (cheeseburgers) with a certain type of yellow cheese and ketchup...plus there is only one kind of bun we can buy. He is picky to the extreme. Which is why I totally freaked out when he drank the green smoothie!

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 3:15 am

pree10shun wrote:
My mom used to do that.... She used to mix spinach in other foods... I hated spinach as a kid but now I love it!

They say after you start drinking green smoothies you start to crave greens. I loved spinach as a kid, in school all the kids would sneak their bowl of spinach off their tray to me so they could have the peanut butter sandwich they passed out to the kids that ate everything. The only time I was popular was on days we had spinach :lol:

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 3:19 am

draelynn wrote:

We make gnocchi - which she already likes thanks to years of repeatedly getting her to try pasta in other shapes than spaghetti and macaroni - and we mixed it lightly with spinach pesto sauce. We told her it was the white cheese sauce that she already likes but that it had spinach in it. And spinach is a leaf veggie like lettuce. She JUST starting eating lettuce on her own because of Pokemon. She considers herself a grass type and grass types eat lettuce - so she asked to try it!! ! We've been trying ALL green veggies on her with this lettuce initiative. So far - so good!

I told my son about this and he told me that I needed to tell you to tell your daughter that he is an electric type Pokemon but he does not have a tail that shoots electricity, YET! :lol: ....guess hes working on that!

-froggo-
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 4:32 am

My parents got a juicer when I was younger. Carrot and spinach juice is the only way I (knowingly) intake spinach. :D

Normal melons (the melons with a white inside and a yellow cover [skin]) are pretty great when in juice form, except you don't get much juice from it.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 7:22 am

liloleme wrote:
Wreck-Gar wrote:
liloleme wrote:
Wreck-Gar wrote:

My son is like you were....he will only eat his hamburgers (cheeseburgers) with a certain type of yellow cheese and ketchup...plus there is only one kind of bun we can buy. He is picky to the extreme. Which is why I totally freaked out when he drank the green smoothie!

It was actually a big deal for me the day I first ate a burger with everything. It was also the first time I ordered food at a restaurant on my own! I had been terrified to do it before that. It was a field trip at school. Some other kid was supposed to be getting my lunch...it was taking SO long I just went in and ordered by myself. I think I was about 12 when this happened. There is hope!

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 9:32 am

liloleme wrote:
draelynn wrote:

I told my son about this and he told me that I needed to tell you to tell your daughter that he is an electric type Pokemon but he does not have a tail that shoots electricity, YET! :lol: ....guess hes working on that!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 10:51 am

liloleme wrote:
pree10shun wrote:

They say after you start drinking green smoothies you start to crave greens. I loved spinach as a kid, in school all the kids would sneak their bowl of spinach off their tray to me so they could have the peanut butter sandwich they passed out to the kids that ate everything. The only time I was popular was on days we had spinach :lol:

Absolutely... I just cant stop munching on green leaves at home...