Best book for teachers to read to learn about ASD?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

SC_2010
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2011, 6:32 pm

I feel like no matter how much I try to explain to teachers, they never really understand how ASD can affect a child's behavior and learning at school. My kiddo is mainstreamed at a private school, but they do not have a lot of experience with this. We don't have many issues, but they sometimes say ignorant things or don't really understand WHY he needs certain accommodations. I just want to give them some insight.

I was thinking if I could offer them a book to give them background on ASD and learning at school, maybe they would finally understand what it is like to be a kid with autism.

Any suggestions?

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 6:40 pm

Tony Attwood would be my best suggestion. He is widely accepted and highly regarded by professionals, parents and adults with AS. The entire Complete Guide to Asperger's might be a bit much to ask a teacher to read but copying excerpts that are most specific to your challenges and sharing those with a teacher might be a good place to start.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 7:25 pm

I know I'm probably not supposed to say this, but I've published two books... mostly with parents in mind, but I'm getting great feedback from teachers, as well. I'm somewhere toward the middle of the spectrum (I was mainstreamed in school, though), so I come at things from that angle... but if you're interested, just let me know.

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 8:04 pm

Your situation sounds a lot like mine so if you find something let me know. When I come across a great article I will copy it but I've found my own explanations mean the most because I can put everything in the context of my daughter.

aann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2011, 9:58 pm

I would refer them to a web site that seems to cover you child well. That will be much more simple than a book.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 10:12 pm

the WITH THE LIGHT series was phenomanal. The author knew her stuff and presented ALL sides of ASD, as well as other disabilities and everyday stuff like abuse and bullying....and bad relationships...it covered it! GO READ IT NOW!

With the Light book 1

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

zette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 2:05 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
I know I'm probably not supposed to say this, but I've published two books... mostly with parents in mind, but I'm getting great feedback from teachers, as well. I'm somewhere toward the middle of the spectrum (I was mainstreamed in school, though), so I come at things from that angle... but if you're interested, just let me know.

Please tell us the names of the books!

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 8:07 pm

Sure!

Interview with Autism is the first one, available here:
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/i ... wed/left/1

And Living in Technicolor: An autistic's thoughts on raising a child with autism is here:
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/l ... m/17159039

All proceeds go toward bringing my service dog home :)

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2011, 1:53 pm

Depending on the age of your child I might go with Luke Jackson's Freaks Geeks and Asperger's, as it actually gets the perspective of an autistic kid, not a parent or adult looking back at their childhood. Please note this works best if your child is 9 years or so or older.