Age ASD Kids Learned To Ride Bike

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

24 Sep 2006, 6:43 pm

How old was you ASD kids when they learned to ride a bike with training wheels?

I have two nephews and the older 4 year old thats acts like me learned at a later age to ride a bike. Like his 2 year old less like me brother can ride a bike now. He is better for
his age at sports to.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2006, 6:44 pm

The only bike I ride is a stationary bike at home.

My outdoor exercise consists of either jogging, mowing the yard, or doing other yard work.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2006, 8:31 pm

Mines only probably asd. As we are working on the head of house (me) right now, but the bike was the most difficult to teach him (with training wheels) at 4/5 y/o AND also his most competent skill once he got it.

I almost think he would have learned better without them. When I learned (without) I only had to hit the ground once before I 'figured' the meaning of motion on the two wheeled contraption.

If they made training wheels better......less wobbly and such, I think this would be better for kids. Maybe some nice big ones with more squish to the tire...rubber density ect-like the wheels on those fertilizer....thingies for the yard.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

ster
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2006, 5:11 pm

my aspie son learned around the age of 7 1/2~ he's pretty good at it now....my undx'd daughter refuses to ride and she's 7 3/4....my aspie hubby learned around 7 only because his sister pushed him down a very big hill on his bike.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2006, 8:54 pm

I learned at about 8 and my mother told me that she had a hell of a time teaching me how to rid a bike on 2 wheels

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2006, 1:51 pm

The one thing that always stood out was that our son was very competent on a two wheeler not long after turning 4.

It'd be odd though, because when he'd get off the bike, you'd wonder how he could even walk his gait was so off kilter and odd.

galileosstar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2006, 8:39 pm

Hello my 8 yr old son with as taught himself to ride a two wheel bike at the age of 4 1/2.
We tried working with him on two seperate occasions, but he hated us helping him so we quit trying and shortly there after he figured it out himself.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 1:27 am

aspiesmom1 wrote:
The one thing that always stood out was that our son was very competent on a two wheeler not long after turning 4.

It'd be odd though, because when he'd get off the bike, you'd wonder how he could even walk his gait was so off kilter and odd.

That sounds alot like Cheese, the character in my avatar.

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Sep 2006, 1:38 pm

violet_yoshi wrote:
aspiesmom1 wrote:

I'm not familiar with that character, but the avatar is cute :)

Now our son is in 6th grade, and he plays the tuba and marches at the same time. I never thought he'd be able to talk and walk at the same time so we've come a long, long way. He's almost 12 now.

Meatballs_Mom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Sep 2006, 7:32 am

violet_yoshi wrote:

It's hot in Topeaka.......

LOL!! ! My 10 year old son (Meatball -my loving nickname for him) does a great impression of this part of the cartoon & no matter how bad my day has gone - or his he does this and i can't do anything but laugh and smile. Although......I am Pierre who takes care of the fish (Blue from Foster's)

Meatball has tried to learn but can't get it to go correctly. We have tried training wheels, but he can't see to get his legs going like they need to. Balance isn't a problem, I believe it is the mild tibal torsion that is causing the problem.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 8:05 am

Meatballs_Mom wrote:
violet_yoshi wrote:

It's hot in Topeaka.......

LOL!! ! My 10 year old son (Meatball -my loving nickname for him) does a great impression of this part of the cartoon & no matter how bad my day has gone - or his he does this and i can't do anything but laugh and smile. Although......I am Pierre who takes care of the fish (Blue from Foster's)

Meatball has tried to learn but can't get it to go correctly. We have tried training wheels, but he can't see to get his legs going like they need to. Balance isn't a problem, I believe it is the mild tibal torsion that is causing the problem.

I'm glad to hear that you're a fellow fan of Foster's! I think the episode with the quote your son imitates, is Foster's Goes to Europe. Where they're going to France, so Bloo keeps trying to speak in a French accent.

I also liked the "It's Hot in Topeka" episode, it was fun to remember what it was like being a kid, and having no rules. Also being able to run around all excited and yelling crazy like that. It's like when you're in the moment, it's the funniest thing ever. It also was an interesting contrast to have Bloo, be bored out of his mind in the beginning of the episode. Then going to huge excitement.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 6:06 pm

I was six when I've learnt to ride a bike, without stablizers.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2006, 6:23 pm

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't completely taught my son to ride without training wheels. He was slow to learn how to ride a trike (5) and then has a bike with training wheels.
I got my first bike at 5 and probably had the training wheels taken off at 7 or 8. Crashing didn't help me to learn, it actually made it worse!

Shazza
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Oct 2006, 11:55 am

My daughter is a 10 year old Aspie, and she still can't ride a regular bike. Her balance is just not there- and she is so scared when she tries! I went and bought an adult recumbant style bike- it is a three wheeler style set up and it is steered by leaning the upper body to either side. With this, she can't fall off, can work on her balance and upper body, and still gets to bike outside. I thought it would be an issue because she can't really bike with her peers, but she says she loves her bike and really enjoys it, and that is what matters to me!

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 12:49 pm

I learned to ride a bike probably when I was five or six. I started out with training wheels and just progressed into riding a two-wheeler. I learned it quite quickly, if I remember right, despite the fact I have eye-hand coordination trouble.

- Ray M -

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2006, 6:19 pm

My Daughter is 8 and has barely learned how to ride a scooter in the past year- balance was a huge issue. She still can't stop without jumping off and falls down 1/2 the time. She could not even ride a trike at age 5. She couldn't concenrate on peddling and steering at the same time and would constantly crash into the bushes and throw a tantrum. She probably has the dexterity to ride a bike now and has the balance issues down, but I seriously don't know if she has developed judgment to a point where she can be safe riding alone. We may get her a bike for Christmas and I may get mine tuned up after 6 years of sitting in storage so that I can go ride with her.

She has not been officially diagnosed- setting up appointments for evaluation next week.