Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ster
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 8:13 pm

so daughter's been in school 4 days, and she's gotten 4 blue chips for misbehaving..........i emailed the teacher just to introduce myself & discuss some of daughter's issues~

sometimes i think it's just me that sees her issues~not anymore ! new teacher definitely sees issues and is already working on some behavioral intervention strategies to try on daughter....wish the eval results were in....3 or 4 more weeks, i guess...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 3:03 am

I used to mis-behave in Elementary School, because I've felt that it was better to be "Bad" than it was to be mistaken as "ret*d".

ster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 3:29 pm

well, her teacher's version of "misbehaving" is tapping her pencils, and fidgeting with her erasers.....and daughter's incessant talking.~ i tried to explain to the new teacher that none of her previous teachers have had much success with diminishing her talking, and that even recess by herself didn't fix it ( she spent the entire recess talking to herself LOL)....wish we had a dx so that we could move on with all of this~ heaven forbid the system do anything without being told to do so

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 3:43 pm

Yeah, like understanding on their own, not to punish a child for actions they may not have control over.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2006, 5:46 pm

as much as her teacher says that she understands my concerns~i'm still concerned that daughter has received a chip for every day she's been in school except for 2 ( one of those days she went home sick)............how can punishing a child every day be effective ?

nomoreality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Sep 2006, 12:57 pm

Am I the only one who can see the irony?

There are so many parents out there who lie awake night after night, year after year, longing for the day that their child speaks.

Personally, I am delighted that she speaks too much! Rock on little girl!

bigbear
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Sep 2006, 5:43 pm

Educate the teacher!! Your daughter should not be punished for things that are not her control. I would talk to the principal. I think AS children do so much better with positive reinforcement. Try to get your daughter in a different class or something...

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2006, 9:22 pm

The teacher is teaching your daughter that she's helpless in school. That no matter what she does, it'll never be right so why bother trying. Perhaps you need to explain to the teacher, that this will just result in your daughter feeling apathetic about schoolwork. Which is against her job reqiurements, she should be making your daughter interested in school, not make her feel that it's a waste of time because she can never do right.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 12:40 am

*sigh* Yeah, that teacher does need to be educated. Getting a reputation as a "bad girl" now isn't going to help your daughter.

Perhaps she could be moved to the back of the room, so that her tapping/fidgeting/whatever doesn't bother other students? I suppose that depends on whether she can pay attention from there... how's her attention span?

As for me, I learn better if I'm doing something with my hands--fidgeting!--and a professor who insisted on stopping me might find my grades dropping, or me skipping class. Thankfully no one has yet been annoyed enough to call me on it; and I do sit as far back as I can and still pay attention.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ster
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 5:36 am

without a dx or even a 504, things are dicey....the teacher knows that daughter is being evaluated, and that the psych is coming next week to see daughter interact ( or not) with classmates.
i'm going to email the teacher again about the chips~i've tried to explain to her that i don't feel receiving a chip every day is healthy or warranted...seems to go in one ear and out the other.i'll try again.
daughter has a hard time focusing no matter where she is in the room....it's not just the talking you know~ if she's not talking she's humming..or making noises.......she'll talk to just about anyone.
i can see all of her habits being quite a distraction for the teacher and her classmates. i don't know how to "fix" any of it....terribly frustrating.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 10:29 am

My son was sent home from school the other day (aggression) and we got advice to never allow the school to "punish" him. "Punish" means for this to go down into discipline records. Of course, we're dealing with an IEP and we're still having a heck of time keeping him in school. They want to get rid of him.
Do the blue chips lead to a real punishment? Or is just humiliating to her?

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2006, 12:55 pm

ster wrote:
without a dx or even a 504, things are dicey....the teacher knows that daughter is being evaluated, and that the psych is coming next week to see daughter interact ( or not) with classmates.
i'm going to email the teacher again about the chips~i've tried to explain to her that i don't feel receiving a chip every day is healthy or warranted...seems to go in one ear and out the other.i'll try again.
daughter has a hard time focusing no matter where she is in the room....it's not just the talking you know~ if she's not talking she's humming..or making noises.......she'll talk to just about anyone.
i can see all of her habits being quite a distraction for the teacher and her classmates. i don't know how to "fix" any of it....terribly frustrating.

My dd does the same thing - she's 7 and in 2nd grade. Since the day she learned how to make noises with her mouth, she's been doing so 24/7 - even in her sleep! She is NT however, seems to have no problem with friends, communication, etc, but the talking and the bathroom issues are enough to make us insane.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 3:29 pm

Ster I don't know, either. I find your situation frustrating as well. I don't get why these people become teachers. I mean, it really takes someone to degrade a child for something they can control. I wonder how these teachers sleep at night, knowing that they're harming their students like this. Maybe there's a problem in the teaching schools..they have to learn that children with special needs are still students, they can't be ignored or punished into submission.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 5:03 pm

heard from the teacher today.daughter is still receiving chips~ today was a red chip and the quiet table for lunch....teacher insists on using her system. white chip= i'm watching you; blue chip= warning, better stop; red chip= quiet table for lunch

teachre has decided to move daughters seat, and talk to her about what she thinks would motivate her to focus ...LOL.....
one thing that makes this so hard for me, i think, is that i teach special ed....there are a million and one different ways to get through to a kid~ a million different behavior support plans.....and yet this teacher is stuck on this one method, and won't budge.
i think one of the very big problems with regular ed teachers is that, historically, they have not been educated about special ed~ and they don't want special ed kids in their class....now that there's so much inclusion, teachers are being forced to deal with issues they have no knowledge about.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 8:59 pm

Which is why she needs to be under the auspices of special ed. They can (with your help) do the support for your daughter without it being a punishment. Well, I should say, "they should do the . . ".
I really resent when a school staff will say one moment they know nothing about autism and the next they "know exactly why my son is doing what he is doing!".
I think it's a big ego issue.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 9:12 pm

i don't know whether to push for a 504 plan not knowing a dx, or wait for a dx.....