Need advice on the dr and meds...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

bethaniej
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Mar 2012, 12:55 pm

Big problem.

My daughter shuts down at the dr. It starts happening on the way in, happens all the way through from waiting room to office to questioning portion of appt. She puts her head down and basically acts catatonic. She's 14. So she's at the point where they are asking her to have the most imput, but instead of telling the Dr. what's going on, she waits until she gets in the car and then tells me everything the dr probably wanted to know.

Last month she tried concerta. It was her first med change in a while, and I couldn't really figure out why she decided to switch. Well, I found out yesterday. While her adderol helps her focus, she doesn't like how it makes her feel. Moody, tired...I think a bit depressed. When she's off meds, shes happy...talks a LOT (which I can see would be problematic), but generally in a good mood. She's a bit hyper (that's why she takes them).

She told me in the car she wanted to cut back...which I think we should look at. So she's on a half dose today. I'm concerned a bit about her grades...but she's getting older and I also think she has to start making decisions about her meds...as well as conferring with the dr. herself about what's the best route to go.

The concerta basically made her sleep all the time, which is obviously not good. The adderol causes her to be quite moody...I want to see how she does today, and I also have a note into the dr...today. Yesterday at the appt, she was so shut down that the dr actually brought in a social worker. Eventually the social worker got her to talk about what was happening, and she perked up and gave details when asked about her school. But I'm kind of at an impass...because 1) we've had frequent meds changes this year--increases so more trips to the dr than usual 2) its really a problem that she chats me up about what's wrong in the car on the way home, but won't tell the dr.

I've figured out there's no magic pill...I think she has to. But I also think she needs medication support. frustrated.

Bethanie

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 1:49 pm

bethaniej wrote:
Big problem.

My daughter shuts down at the dr. It starts happening on the way in, happens all the way through from waiting room to office to questioning portion of appt. She puts her head down and basically acts catatonic. She's 14. So she's at the point where they are asking her to have the most imput, but instead of telling the Dr. what's going on, she waits until she gets in the car and then tells me everything the dr probably wanted to know.

Last month she tried concerta. It was her first med change in a while, and I couldn't really figure out why she decided to switch. Well, I found out yesterday. While her adderol helps her focus, she doesn't like how it makes her feel. Moody, tired...I think a bit depressed. When she's off meds, shes happy...talks a LOT (which I can see would be problematic), but generally in a good mood. She's a bit hyper (that's why she takes them).

She told me in the car she wanted to cut back...which I think we should look at. So she's on a half dose today. I'm concerned a bit about her grades...but she's getting older and I also think she has to start making decisions about her meds...as well as conferring with the dr. herself about what's the best route to go.

The concerta basically made her sleep all the time, which is obviously not good. The adderol causes her to be quite moody...I want to see how she does today, and I also have a note into the dr...today. Yesterday at the appt, she was so shut down that the dr actually brought in a social worker. Eventually the social worker got her to talk about what was happening, and she perked up and gave details when asked about her school. But I'm kind of at an impass...because 1) we've had frequent meds changes this year--increases so more trips to the dr than usual 2) its really a problem that she chats me up about what's wrong in the car on the way home, but won't tell the dr.

I've figured out there's no magic pill...I think she has to. But I also think she needs medication support. frustrated.

Bethanie

Well if the adderall consistently makes her feel bad I would think it would be a good idea to get her off of it....I mean maybe she would talk a lot and be a bit more hyper but that's better then being depressed and moody and not being able to enjoy herself at all. But yes it can have that effect as its a stimulant and well I can see how being on stimulants all the time could make someone moody and depressed.

This list has a lot of the possible negative side effects listed if you're interested:

link

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 2:46 pm

bethaniej wrote:
. . . She told me in the car she wanted to cut back...which I think we should look at. So she's on a half dose today. . .

That's good. I've read that it often is important, esp. with stimulants and/or antidepressants, to step down in phases.

As a grown man, I've had some success taking in a written list of my issues/questions, maxium of three bullet points, one half of one piece of paper, because that generally is all the doctor has the time or patience for.

And it kind of sounds like an emotional shut down. I mean, going to the doctor is intimidating in about five different ways, I think especially if a person is 14. In the book YOU CAN NEGOTIATE ANYTHING by Herb Cohen, he makes the point that often it is skillful and responsible negotiation to appoint someone else to negotiate on your behalf (I mean, presidents do this for crying out loud). Do you think there might be a way to respectfully ask your daughter if she wants you to go in with her?

bethaniej
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Mar 2012, 1:17 pm

Thanks for the advice and link. She decided to start taking a half dose, and I emailed the Dr. about what had transpired as well as her tendancy to shut down in the office. I had a good conversation with the Doctor today where she agreed that doing a half dose was worth trying. So it seems like we're all on the same page.

A friend also gave me the tip of preparing in advance for the appointment, and asking her what she wants to get from the appointment. i have done that sometimes, but not this time and it really showed in her behavior. I'm hoping the decrease in meds will help her.

Thanks,
Bethanie