How many percent of Left-handed are also Aspies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

zupaadopa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2012, 6:40 am

This question strike my mind... because my son is left-handed mostly..but writes on his right...only when writing...the rest it is left handed..

So with my recent quest to understand my son's uncommon behavior...I found Asperger's Syndrome fitting most of the description...

BUT just now...I recall one of my friend...who also has the same characteristics as with someone with AS....and he's left handed too...

I have been talking with most of my friends who are left handed before I search for AS....their childhood is the same...especially on how hard it was for them to learn to write...(poor hand writing and aspie trait)

Most of my friends who are left-handed have poor motor skills...or are not quite skillful...or athletic...I know some left-handed are good in sports...but so as what I've read about some Aspies NOT all have poor motor skill and some are quite athletic..(maybe like me)

academics is NOT really their kind of thing...not that they are not intelligent enough...BUT its just that they get stubborn about it...especially if it is not their field of interest (also an aspie trait to look lazy at school)

And most of the friends I know who are left-handed has a certain skill or certain talent that they are really good at...its because they FOCUS on it...(also an aspie trait on focusing with interest)

SO I was thinking...maybe the other traits about AS... like my son's poor motor skill..clumsiness...slow hand writing are just because he is left-handed...and he is writing with his right hand...and not Aspie?

And my son's crying thing about utterly simple problem or not even a problem is just his childish thing...his tantrums... and not Aspie?

His gesture delays or non-responsive or not automatically showing empathy when needed is just that he is left-handed...he's brain function has a different processing scheme due to his left handedness....

as for me I also have a delayed gesture or reaction, because I am also left-right handed...I carry or lift heavy things like bags with my left hand...BUT I am mostly right handed though...this is maybe why I have better motor skills than my son who is mostly left-handed

So this why just now I thought...maybe my son has no AS...he is just left-handed that's why...

Is there a study already made on the relationship between left-handedness and AS?

Maybe the effect of being left-handed can be confused with having an AS?

just a thought

zupaadopa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2012, 8:27 am

I found this link from another site....

http://www.psychforums.com/asperger-syn ... 01-20.html

BUT this does NOT really answer my question because....the question in that link is for aspies in general... obviously there will be more right-handed aspies than left-handed aspies simply because the world population is just about 10% left-handed..so of course there more right-handed aspies than left-handed aspies..

What I want to know is......Just within the population of LEFT-HANDED people...maybe 70-90% of left-handed people are aspies...or maybe 70-90% of Right-brained people are aspies..left-handed are mostly right-brained...but there are also right-handed who are also right-brained...So this is what I want to understand...

I have an older brother who is left-handed...So I wonder if being left-handed will give a high probability for aspie..and then I could make a correlation between my son and my brother...and probably ask my parents how was my older brother's childhood..I don't know because he is 6 yrs older than me....So maybe it would also help me explain to my parents so it will be easier for them to understand or relate themselves with my son....I guess

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 11:25 am

You might consider starting a poll.

PsycStudent
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Mar 2012, 10:40 am

A poll would be good. From what I've heard from casual chat, supports the idea of a disproportionate amount of lefties in the AS community. Also, from a family member who used to work in a betting office, he noticed that the vast majority of clients were lefties 8O . This is just heresay but still intersting

Lori52204
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Mar 2012, 10:58 pm

My son is a lefty and an Aspie...

-Skeksis-
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2012, 1:41 am

There's a poll on WP about this very subject.

Handedness Poll

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 1:52 am

My mom had 9 kids. She was left-handed and NT. 4 of her kids are left handed. I'm the only aspie and I'm right handed.

Are there any studies on this?

People are left handed. Aspies are people. Just sayin'

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 2:39 am

I do not have the exact statistics, however I do recall observing that left handedness does not appear to be more prevalent amongst those with AS than the general population. Most brain imaging studies on AS use right handed individuals and I never got any impression that these people were difficult to come by.

zupaadopa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2012, 3:26 am

I made a poll out of it already...at least it shows that 88% of the left-handed who voted are also either aspies or with ADHD or others

here's the link...

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp4447121.html#4447121

probably it means something.. :D

zupaadopa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2012, 3:37 am

unduki wrote:
My mom had 9 kids. She was left-handed and NT. 4 of her kids are left handed. I'm the only aspie and I'm right handed.

any diagnoses from the other 4 left-handed? like ADHD or Autism or NT?

here's a link for the poll on only left-handed people...

you're right-handed....can you possibly be ambidextrous? or just right-handed....are you probably be Right-brained instead of being left-brain dominant?... just a thought...Left-handed are mostly right-brain dominant...and right-handed are mostly left-brain dominant...but there are some cases where right-handed can be right-brain dominant...

anyways...it's NOT perfect....I am just after the "most likely" or the "probability" that left-handed are most likely to be with certain pscyh syndrome...AS, NT, ADHD or Autism...etc...I am just curious to have recognized left-handed friends and family members who have common aspie-like traits or characters...strength or weaknesses...

zupaadopa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2012, 3:51 am

Chronos wrote:
I do not have the exact statistics, however I do recall observing that left handedness does not appear to be more prevalent amongst those with AS than the general population. Most brain imaging studies on AS use right handed individuals and I never got any impression that these people were difficult to come by.

NO not really...I didn't mean that they are difficult to come by....I believe if you're an aspie...it would be difficult for you to adjust with the society or the society to adjust to you...AS A CHILD... But I guess if you have grown though AS...an adult would already learned to adapt himself with the society...

it's just about being a child...or a student that Aspie kids are not understood...

And regarding left-handed...this is just a curiosity to me that I have left-handed friends, colleagues and family members I can remember about 9 of them who shared commonality about their characteristics or traits as a child or as a student...their weaknesses and I noticed their strengths as well...it's like they have one thing or more in them that they are really good at..either in arts,or in sports, or academics or just something....something like an aspie trait...like what is noticeable to my son now... so it made me think that there must be something about their being left-handed...

BUT I didn't think that it was being difficult to come by... one thing for sure is that most left-handed I know they are adaptable...they can easily come by with society...why? because since their childhood they have to adapt to handwriting stroke (left to write)...armchairs at school....the right-handed orientation/design of things....IF anything they are easily to come by to most people....mostly right-handed people...

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 1:55 pm

zupaadopa wrote:
unduki wrote:

any diagnoses from the other 4 left-handed? like ADHD or Autism or NT?

here's a link for the poll on only left-handed people...

you're right-handed....can you possibly be ambidextrous? or just right-handed....are you probably be Right-brained instead of being left-brain dominant?... just a thought...Left-handed are mostly right-brain dominant...and right-handed are mostly left-brain dominant...but there are some cases where right-handed can be right-brain dominant...

anyways...it's NOT perfect....I am just after the "most likely" or the "probability" that left-handed are most likely to be with certain pscyh syndrome...AS, NT, ADHD or Autism...etc...I am just curious to have recognized left-handed friends and family members who have common aspie-like traits or characters...strength or weaknesses...

I am firmly right-handed but do try to use my left because it's good for brain plasticity. I use both sides of my brain somewhat equally. I also have epilepsy. But, I'm generally a contradiction of the norm in everything anyways

One of my left-handed brothers had speech therapy when he was little but all in all, my lefty sibs are pretty average people. My mother was pretty clumsy but that's probably because "they" tried to re-orientate her generation to right-handedness. My mother had her hands hit repeatedly with a ruler to make her right-handed when she was just 5 yrs. old. Can you imagine? It only served to make her a shy, insecure, left-handed adult.

I once read a study that indicated lefties have shorter lifespans, but I think that was also due to the re-orientation attempts of previous generations. I imagine the statistics will change now that lefties are allowed to be.