Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 9:46 pm

Had to post this here as I have no one to talk to about this. We had an outing with my 9 yo daughter and 3 of her friends and moms. We were in the car (my daughter hates cars-add to that 8 people cooped up in a minivan and you get a recipe for disaster) and my daughter starts to escalate. It was one of those moments where I knew a meltdown was coming but didn't know what to do, how to stop it, there was no way to calm her down. Anyway, the meltdown became severe and she was lashing and screaming and the other girls became frightened. It was awful! I pulled over and took my daughter out and tried to calm her down but after some time I realized she wasn't going to calm down until we got home so I put her back into the car and drove as fast as I safely could to get us home.

One of the moms, thinking it was cute or funny or I don't know what took out her camera and snapped pictures of the girls plugging their ears from my daughter's screams.

This made me furious! I strongly stated how it was not funny and she should not be documenting this! I was in tears and could barely croak out how mean it was to document others' aversion to my daughter's meltdown. It made me sad and brought full force the realization that others don't get it! They don't get what it would feel like for their own child to be the one everyone wanted to get away from much less what it must be like to be my daughter who would not want to have this episode around these girls she wants to be her friends.

It was very depressing. I held and hugged my daughter extra that night feeling the world doesn't have the capacity for the empathy she needs from people. Maybe that's too dark of a statement, but it was a sad evening. I am just now getting over the depressive feeling of that night 5 days ago.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 10:08 pm

Oh Mama I am so sorry that you and your daughter had to go through that scene. I honestly cannot imagine what that woman was thinking. I hope you both can put this behind you (((hugs))).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 10:29 pm

Sweet Pea hugsImage

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 12:31 am

I probably would have yanked the camera out of her hands and thrown it on the ground.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 12:34 am

Don't invite that heartless mom along on any future excursions. You should also immediately let her know that she doesn't have legal permission to put any pix of your minor aged daughter on line in any way shape or form. If you find out she has done so, have a lawyer send her an official letter telling her all pix of your daughter that she has put up must be taken down or you will file charges of harassment and bullying against her, and that you will sue her. If she ignores the letter, then follow through with the charges and the lawsuit.

Sorry you had a tough time. Hope things go better in the future.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 6:10 am

What a horrible thing to happen. If that had been me I think I would have hurt that woman. Your daughter is lucky to have such a caring and understanding Mum.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 6:21 am

Yikes, what a thoughtless person. I am so sorry!

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 8:29 am

Hope you grabbed the camera and deleted the pic.

NigNag
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jun 2012, 12:56 pm

Wow. that was very insensitive, regardless of a disability being present.
I would NEVER imagine taking a picture like that when ANY child was having a meltdown.

The more I deal with "NT" people, the more I think THEY are the ones with all the problems.
Gesh..

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 2:04 pm

NigNag wrote:
I would NEVER imagine taking a picture like that when ANY child was having a meltdown.

The more I deal with "NT" people, the more I think THEY are the ones with all the problems.
Gesh..

Ha ha, I sometimes think "profoundly NT" should be considered a neurological condition.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 3:15 pm

Wreck-Gar wrote:
NigNag wrote:

Gesh..

Ha ha, I sometimes think "profoundly NT" should be considered a neurological condition.

:lol: I like it!

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 5:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes it's hard for me to know if I am just overreacting. It is very painful for me to see my daughter in that state of emotional distress that I wondered if I was having a mini meltdown of my own. It helps to know others can relate to my reaction.

And "profoundly nt" ha ha I love that!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 5:08 pm

Mama_to_Grace wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes it's hard for me to know if I am just overreacting. It is very painful for me to see my daughter in that state of emotional distress that I wondered if I was having a mini meltdown of my own. It helps to know others can relate to my reaction.

And "profoundly nt" ha ha I love that!

I don't think you where overreacting, If I had a child I would have gotten angry and snapped at them for taking pictures and stuff as well. Though I probably would have grabbed the camra, threw it on the ground and stomped on it.

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 5:49 pm

NigNag wrote:

Agreed! WTH? I would have been furious.

I am so sorry for you and your daughter. That really sucks! :(

sidney
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2012, 3:20 pm

I can't believe she did that. I feel sorry for you that you had to go through all that. Did your daughter notice the picture taking?
Maybe, however, you could use this as an opportunity to teach you daughter about inappropriate behavior in adults, rudeness, 'opinions' based on false information, and all those things people do. She's going to encounter those, and I think it might be good to talk to her about it, develop some sort of procedure. At the same time, it could be a good opportunity to ask yourself what your answer or attitude will be the next time an adult does something totally unacceptable, so that you will save yourself the energy and anger which I'm sure you felt, but are all wasted on such ignorant, vile people.

Gnomey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jun 2012, 1:06 am

That Mom is an idiot. Why would you take a picture of that. I've noticed that often camera phones, although helpful, have people taking pictures of the stupidest stuff.