Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NigNag
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jun 2012, 12:51 pm

My son for the most part is quiet. He seeks out social interactions, but the NT kids just like to tease and bully him.
This has happened throughout his life. When he was in cub scouts, he was safe. When he went to boy scouts, another older scout told me that the boys tease him and bully him constantly.
He finally told some of the kids he had aspergers and the older ones stopped teasing him. Yet others continued.
This year he went back to public school, although its a small charter school (300 kids from 6th to 12th grade).
At the beginning he had a really hard time with bullies. The kids were teasing him, and calling him stupid, ret*d, weird, creeper, etc.
This continued... then a boy decided to make it his personal mission to tease my son constantly during lunch.
The boy decided to spill my sons lunch all over the table... my son in response had it and punched the kid in the nose.
The kid stopped interacting with my son at all (which is good, I think).
Other kids started to make fun of him. He was on their facebook page, and was responding in matter of fact type ways and tends to just say things like they are.
They blocked him. He continues to harrass them. When I talk to him about just forgetting them and limiting his interactions, he just replies with "mom they are bad people. They are so mean to me and other kids all the time. They deserve it."
So.. here I am not knowing what to do about the situation, if anything at all.

Suggestions?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 2:46 pm

NigNag wrote:
My son for the most part is quiet. He seeks out social interactions, but the NT kids just like to tease and bully him.
This has happened throughout his life. When he was in cub scouts, he was safe. When he went to boy scouts, another older scout told me that the boys tease him and bully him constantly.
He finally told some of the kids he had aspergers and the older ones stopped teasing him. Yet others continued.
This year he went back to public school, although its a small charter school (300 kids from 6th to 12th grade).
At the beginning he had a really hard time with bullies. The kids were teasing him, and calling him stupid, ret*d, weird, creeper, etc.
This continued... then a boy decided to make it his personal mission to tease my son constantly during lunch.
The boy decided to spill my sons lunch all over the table... my son in response had it and punched the kid in the nose.
The kid stopped interacting with my son at all (which is good, I think).
Other kids started to make fun of him. He was on their facebook page, and was responding in matter of fact type ways and tends to just say things like they are.
They blocked him. He continues to harrass them. When I talk to him about just forgetting them and limiting his interactions, he just replies with "mom they are bad people. They are so mean to me and other kids all the time. They deserve it."
So.. here I am not knowing what to do about the situation, if anything at all.

Suggestions?

I don't really see how this points to your son becoming a bully, sounds more like he's a victim of bullying and its getting to the point where he's had enough. I cannot blame him for punching the kid in the nose honestly...serves that kid right for picking on him and spilling his lunch. Also are you sure he's 'harrasing' them or defending himself against their harassment and maybe taking things a little far out of anger?

Also when people constantly try and bully or pick on you its kind of hard to just forget it, especially if it keeps happening. I am not really sure of a solution...I mean he probably should limit his interactions with such people for his own good. So maybe you could suggest it would be best for him since those are 'bad people' to avoid them more.

And I don't know if switching schools is an option or if the school has ever attempted to intervene in the bullying your son has apparently been facing for years.

NigNag

21 Jun 2012, 3:19 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

I don't really see how this points to your son becoming a bully, sounds more like he's a victim of bullying and its getting to the point where he's had enough. I cannot blame him for punching the kid in the nose honestly...serves that kid right for picking on him and spilling his lunch. Also are you sure he's 'harrasing' them or defending himself against their harassment and maybe taking things a little far out of anger?

Also when people constantly try and bully or pick on you its kind of hard to just forget it, especially if it keeps happening. I am not really sure of a solution...I mean he probably should limit his interactions with such people for his own good. So maybe you could suggest it would be best for him since those are 'bad people' to avoid them more.

And I don't know if switching schools is an option or if the school has ever attempted to intervene in the bullying your son has apparently been facing for years.

Sweetleaf,

Thanks for your reply. You are right im not sure he is becoming a bully, or just trying to respond to these kids. I tend to struggle with social situations myself, so trying to figure these things out is hard for me. I think most of the issues are related to the fact that he just blurts "truth" out and then those kids call him mean. He is known to "not have a filter". The problem he has is that the truth may in fact be the truth, but he needs to learn the social norm of not saying those things. For instance one girl at his school is really small and short. Obviously she knows that.. my son just called her a little person/midget. He said well she is. I had to explain to him extensively that it was not ok to say such things. That while it may be true, it probably hurt her feelings. But mom, its the truth.

Another incident : a group of kids from his school posted a video on facebook. The video was a kids mother trying to make a spray paint flame thrower with a bunch of kids around her (i.e. taking a can of spray paint and then lighting the spray on fire). My son posted a reply to the video of how that was the stupidest thing he had ever seen because it was dangerous. A kid that was there pointed out that my son basically just said that this kids mother was stupid. My son replied, well I don't care, that is really stupid to do. Of course the kids all ganged up on him. My son was seen again as the "bad guy". We talked about it and he wanted to continue posting on the topic about how she should remove that video because she could get into big trouble. I just had to tell him that, it was nice of him to think about this families well being but it was obvious from the responses that they don't and won't care to hear your opinions. That it was best that he just accept that they don't want his help and move on.

In class they were talking about drug addicts. The teacher said she wished she could get a drug addict to talk to the class, but they were too unstable to do so. My son blurts out, well maybe so and so's mother (a kid in the class) could come in. The kids mother is a recovering addict, and the kid tells people this information all the time. My son was labeled as being mean again. He told me in private that as soon as he said it he really was sorry and wished he hadn't.

So I think in a nutshell my sons blunt/truth comments are not socially appropriate and get him labeled as being mean.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 3:32 pm

The school really should be taking responsibility for the things that happen at school. Any school these days that does not take firm action against bullying is headed for a lawsuit. How Many Columbines do we need to have for schools to take seriously their responsibility for their students?

Does your son have an IEP? I was reading recently about ways to incorporate bullying issues into an IEP. Is there a social skills class he could participate in? Or any therapy at all? My DS is only 6 so we haven't gotten to the stage you are at yet but he did do a social skills class at school 2x a week and the OT we see focuses a lot on social interactions and communication. For DS it has taken a while for some of those lessons to "sink in" but I hear him now using some of the language he has learned over the past several months. I think its important to have other people involved in trying to teach kids some of these lessons probably more so for your tween? teen? Sometimes I feel like my voice might as well be a dog whistle for all the good it seems to do talking to my boys. A social skills class could help him learn how to develop a filter and maybe help him see himself the way others see him.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 3:46 pm

NigNag wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Sweetleaf,

Thanks for your reply. You are right im not sure he is becoming a bully, or just trying to respond to these kids. I tend to struggle with social situations myself, so trying to figure these things out is hard for me. I think most of the issues are related to the fact that he just blurts "truth" out and then those kids call him mean. He is known to "not have a filter". The problem he has is that the truth may in fact be the truth, but he needs to learn the social norm of not saying those things. For instance one girl at his school is really small and short. Obviously she knows that.. my son just called her a little person/midget. He said well she is. I had to explain to him extensively that it was not ok to say such things. That while it may be true, it probably hurt her feelings. But mom, its the truth.

Well yeah I've made mistakes like that before just making comments of truth without thinking about how the other person might feel or react. Not really sure how to improve on that rather then just think things through a bit more, my thing was i was always afraid to say a lot of what was on my mind because I didn't want to risk being made fun of....so if anything my issue is more not saying anything when I should.

Another incident : a group of kids from his school posted a video on facebook. The video was a kids mother trying to make a spray paint flame thrower with a bunch of kids around her (i.e. taking a can of spray paint and then lighting the spray on fire). My son posted a reply to the video of how that was the stupidest thing he had ever seen because it was dangerous. A kid that was there pointed out that my son basically just said that this kids mother was stupid. My son replied, well I don't care, that is really stupid to do. Of course the kids all ganged up on him. My son was seen again as the "bad guy". We talked about it and he wanted to continue posting on the topic about how she should remove that video because she could get into big trouble. I just had to tell him that, it was nice of him to think about this families well being but it was obvious from the responses that they don't and won't care to hear your opinions. That it was best that he just accept that they don't want his help and move on.

With that one I can't help thinking that kid was just trying to give him crap...I mean even to me saying something is stupid because its dangerous does not really indicate anyone is stupid, just that he thinks its a stupid idea because it's dangerous. And well realistically that isn't a very smart thing to do around a bunch of kids anyways. So I'd have to agree with his perspective on that. Though just for his own good it might be better if he didn't spend so much time trying bothering with them...I mean why do they deserve his help or his consideration if they're just going to be mean anyways. As for accepting that and moving on.......for one it can be pretty hard to just accept that people don't like you and don't give a crap what you have to say and then to just move on from the pain it causes, well that can be quite an issue. So its kind of a hard thing because on one hand yeah its better for him if he just avoids people like that and doesn't associate with them.........but then he probably still has to see them at school and unless he has permission to leave when hes getting bullied chances are he just has to sit there and try and endure it. But that sort of pain of being left out and ostracized is not something one easily moves on from(if they even can at all) at least in my experience.

In class they were talking about drug addicts. The teacher said she wished she could get a drug addict to talk to the class, but they were too unstable to do so. My son blurts out, well maybe so and so's mother (a kid in the class) could come in. The kids mother is a recovering addict, and the kid tells people this information all the time. My son was labeled as being mean again. He told me in private that as soon as he said it he really was sorry and wished he hadn't.

I imagine though the kid tells people this all the time, he doesn't get picked on for it....your son probably got picked on for saying it because when you're the target of bullying people pretty much wait for you to make any mistake so they can jump on you about it. I mean I feel like that was probably not the best thing to say....but then again even neurotypicals make mistakes and blurt things out too. I imagine there are ways to decrease that happening...not really sure how though. But at the same time no one is perfect so it would not be good for him to beat himself up over every time he makes a mistake. I mean regardless of all this its still wrong that other kids are bullying him so he should be aware of that.

So I think in a nutshell my sons blunt/truth comments are not socially appropriate and get him labeled as being mean.

That could certainly be...however I fail to see how one person making a wrong comment by mistake is the one being 'mean' when all the other kids then gang up on him to make him feel bad...to me that is more mean. But yeah I can see how making comments people take as rude does not help matters, but I doubt that is the only issue here.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 3:48 pm

Bombaloo wrote:
The school really should be taking responsibility for the things that happen at school. Any school these days that does not take firm action against bullying is headed for a lawsuit. How Many Columbines do we need to have for schools to take seriously their responsibility for their students?

Does your son have an IEP? I was reading recently about ways to incorporate bullying issues into an IEP. Is there a social skills class he could participate in? Or any therapy at all? My DS is only 6 so we haven't gotten to the stage you are at yet but he did do a social skills class at school 2x a week and the OT we see focuses a lot on social interactions and communication. For DS it has taken a while for some of those lessons to "sink in" but I hear him now using some of the language he has learned over the past several months. I think its important to have other people involved in trying to teach kids some of these lessons probably more so for your tween? teen? Sometimes I feel like my voice might as well be a dog whistle for all the good it seems to do talking to my boys. A social skills class could help him learn how to develop a filter and maybe help him see himself the way others see him.

If others see him as a target to bully, its probably best if he does not see himself that way...because then that can lead to thinking you deserve it.

NigNag

21 Jun 2012, 3:57 pm

Bombaloo wrote:
The school really should be taking responsibility for the things that happen at school.
Does your son have an IEP? I was reading recently about ways to incorporate bullying issues into an IEP. Is there a social skills class he could participate in? Or any therapy at all?

Thanks :) I did have him in a social skills class with another young man on the spectrum. He actually ended up regressing in his social skills, which was not good. I know his therapist is trying to find a social skills group for him. We have an IEP meeting planned in the fall before school starts. I think I will add the social skills problem to the list.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 4:18 pm

Your son is not being a bully. He is responding to being bullied by others. You can best help him in dealing with this by putting him into martial arts.

Also, you need to get on the school's case about the bullying. They are supposed to protect kids from being bullied, and are not doing their job. You also need to get him into some type of social training program. It will take a while to show results, but it should help.

You also need to explain to your son, that although it's important to tell the truth, sometimes it's best to remain silent. It's not nice to say things that will hurt someone's feelings, unless there is a need for it. Regarding the home made flame thrower incident, he was right to make one initial comment about it, as it is dangerous and stupid, but then he should have dropped the subject. Once he made the initial comment, he had made his point. Further comments only served to generate hostility, and were not helpful.

And remember, martial arts training! :ninja: :D

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2012, 4:22 pm

no one ever solved the bullying problem. School was hell for almost 100% of us.

Just home school him. For learning to socialize, he can do it some where else.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 5:26 pm

OK, as a parent of a kid on the spectrum and formerly a middle schooler on the spectrum (in the dark ages) yes, you have a problem. It's described in most literature as being a "bully-victim" and is a common response to bullying. I did it (I can hold a grudge like nobody's business) and my son has struggled with it, too.

http://www.education.com/reference/arti ... ly-victim/

It sounds like your son may be struggling with some social communication issues - so if an appropriate social skills class isn't available, ask your school to test his pragmatic speech and see if he can get pragmatic speech therapy. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/devel ... matics.htm He won't need to wait for a group, it can be done one-on-one with the school's speech therapist and it's a good first step anyway.

My son also can hang onto a grudge like nobody's business and we struggled with him "punishing" kids who were bullying him (unfortunately - or fortunately - his response was physical: unfortunately because that's very bad, but fortunately because the school tends to ramp up the support when that happens.) There is a collection of threads on the Parenting Index about bullying and some of our problems are discussed in detail there.

It's really difficult for a black-and-white thinker to see the shades of grey in a bullying situation. Nobody is a "bully" in the way the media presents them - and precious few are mean 100% of the time. Your son has probably categorized these kids as "bad people" and can't see that, although there is no excuse for bullying, they have redeeming qualities. He probably also can't understand that people are able to learn and change their behavior (it's not once a bully always a bully - as is unfortunately presented in the media.)

Unfortunately, it's not just TV and cartoons that show bullying this way; it's the schools, too. Despite repeated research showing that most kids engage in bullying behavior at one time or another, schools persist in framing the issue as "bullies" and "victims" rather than a system of behavior that kids move in and out of.

Basically, I would present the issue to your son in a rules-based frame: It doesn't matter how bad somebody is, the rule is that you don't stoop to their level. If it were my son, I might also say that our rule is that if you can't follow the rules of social media (meaning, if you're blocked you are no longer a part of the conversation) you can't use the social media. I'd also explain that while he may be right, logic isn't a good way to respond to someone who is behaving irrationally.

I liked this episode of Autism Talk TV about social skills http://www.wrongplanet.net/article410.html I actually had my son watch it when he was being bullied, and (even though he was bored by the clinical stuff - we started about 4:00, teasing & bullying is at about 7:00) he did start using some of the techniques she describes with success.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 5:39 pm

momsparky wrote:
OK, as a parent of a kid on the spectrum and formerly a middle schooler on the spectrum (in the dark ages) yes, you have a problem. It's described in most literature as being a "bully-victim" and is a common response to bullying. I did it (I can hold a grudge like nobody's business) and my son has struggled with it, too.

http://www.education.com/reference/arti ... ly-victim/

It sounds like your son may be struggling with some social communication issues - so if an appropriate social skills class isn't available, ask your school to test his pragmatic speech and see if he can get pragmatic speech therapy. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/devel ... matics.htm He won't need to wait for a group, it can be done one-on-one with the school's speech therapist and it's a good first step anyway.

My son also can hang onto a grudge like nobody's business and we struggled with him "punishing" kids who were bullying him (unfortunately - or fortunately - his response was physical: unfortunately because that's very bad, but fortunately because the school tends to ramp up the support when that happens.) There is a collection of threads on the Parenting Index about bullying and some of our problems are discussed in detail there.

It's really difficult for a black-and-white thinker to see the shades of grey in a bullying situation. Nobody is a "bully" in the way the media presents them - and precious few are mean 100% of the time. Your son has probably categorized these kids as "bad people" and can't see that, although there is no excuse for bullying, they have redeeming qualities. He probably also can't understand that people are able to learn and change their behavior (it's not once a bully always a bully - as is unfortunately presented in the media.)

Unfortunately, it's not just TV and cartoons that show bullying this way; it's the schools, too. Despite repeated research showing that most kids engage in bullying behavior at one time or another, schools persist in framing the issue as "bullies" and "victims" rather than a system of behavior that kids move in and out of.

Basically, I would present the issue to your son in a rules-based frame: It doesn't matter how bad somebody is, the rule is that you don't stoop to their level. If it were my son, I might also say that our rule is that if you can't follow the rules of social media (meaning, if you're blocked you are no longer a part of the conversation) you can't use the social media. I'd also explain that while he may be right, logic isn't a good way to respond to someone who is behaving irrationally.

I liked this episode of Autism Talk TV about social skills http://www.wrongplanet.net/article410.html I actually had my son watch it when he was being bullied, and (even though he was bored by the clinical stuff - we started about 4:00, teasing & bullying is at about 7:00) he did start using some of the techniques she describes with success.

Sometimes people bully out of fear...not only have I read about it basically people following the group not to face exclusion themselves. But from personal experiance when I was in 4th grade a couple girls admitted that they where mean to me in front of everyone else because they didn't want to get made fun of as well. I sort of accepted it as an attempted apology but it didn't really make me feel any better. Well other than I thought that if I was in their position I would have sucked it up and befriended the 'outcast,' regardless of what exclusion I'd face but then I also know how much I being in the position I was would have liked if someone would have done that.

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 5:59 pm

Lots of good advice already on the bullying. I just wanted to ask, does he have to be on facebook? It sounds like he's not really ready to tackle the types of social interaction there successfully, and will likely just end up making everything worse for himself at school. Can he hone his text-based social skills on something more low risk like an anonymous interest based forum or a multiplayer video game, where he's not likely to incur real life repercussions for blunders? And then maybe return to FB when he has developed more skills?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 6:15 pm

Your son did the right thing punching that bully.

Congratulations to him for standing up and defending himself.

The right to self defense is an inalienable human right.

American society; especially public schools, have neutered our children (and some parents) with this idea that its just as wrong to defend yourself as it is to start a fight.

I find this idea particularly offensive. Bullies pick on the weak; 9/10 times the best way to stop a bully is to show your not weak.

When I have children I will have one rule for this:

"If you start a fight, you will be in trouble. If you defend yourself, you will not be in trouble with us and we will defend you to the school."

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 6:25 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Sometimes people bully out of fear...not only have I read about it basically people following the group not to face exclusion themselves. But from personal experiance when I was in 4th grade a couple girls admitted that they where mean to me in front of everyone else because they didn't want to get made fun of as well. I sort of accepted it as an attempted apology but it didn't really make me feel any better. Well other than I thought that if I was in their position I would have sucked it up and befriended the 'outcast,' regardless of what exclusion I'd face but then I also know how much I being in the position I was would have liked if someone would have done that.
I used to see this, where it started with one or two, and others joined in because of peer pressure or because it was the popular kids doing the bullying and they wanted to be liked.

I've even seen it in adults in a workplace, one popular person refusing to have lunch if a person they disliked was invited resulting in that person being excluded by nearly everyone. In one instance this got to the point where the victim even got called on for something and told by the supervisor to apologize publicly to the bullies.

If your son knows who usually starts it, go to the school with that kid's name, and insist that kid get counseling, detention, whatever it takes. Your son should be able to have a peaceful school day. If there are any other kids also getting bullied, talk to their parents and go to the officials together.

I hate bullying so much, and I especially hate how clueless school officials are and how little they do about it.

Last edited by SpiritBlooms on 22 Jun 2012, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 6:34 pm

Quote:
If your son knows who usually starts it, go to the school with that kid's name, and insist that kid get counseling, detention, whatever it takes. Your son should be able to have a peaceful school day. If there are any other kids also getting bullied, talk to their parents and go to the officials together.

No offense intended; but her son did light years more to help himself when he punched that bully in the face than any school administrator could do.

When I talked to the school admin in elementary; they told the bullies everything I said (because the bullies had a right to know the charges) and then the bullies said I called them some names (in response to them calling me names) and the principal flipped out on me.

In the end; I was bullied for years because I didn't stand up to them.

I know there are people who will disagree with me and that's ok; but I firmly believe the best way to end bullying is to let kids defend themselves.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 7:08 pm

SpiritBlooms wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I used to see this, where it started with one or two, and others joined in because of peer pressure or because it was the popular kids doing the bullying and they wanted to be liked.

I've even seen it in adults in a workplace, one popular person refusing to have lunch if a person they disliked was invited resulting in that person being excluded by nearly everyone. In one instance this got to the point where the victim even got called on for something and told by the supervisor to apologize publicly to the bullies.

The most recent study on bullying shows that most kids participate in it in order to move themselves up and down the social ladder, so it would bear out this theory - http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/10/us/ac-360 ... index.html

Unfortunately, this means that the kids with the best social skills will be on top and neither bully nor be bullied, and the Aspies...well, there are enough posts here by adult Aspies to make that point.

I remember in high school having the crazy idea that it was my "duty" to "punish" (what I called bullying in my head) - the one girl who was lower on the social ladder than I was, so she would stop being "weird" and in some way that would reflect better on me. In high school I felt very strongly that it was eat or be eaten and as I was bullied regularly I did things to save myself that I wasn't proud of then and am not proud of now (none of it was dangerous or even direct, mind you.) As an Aspie, I have the profound punishment of being able to go - or sometimes being sent - back in time and live through those events - I can tell you where everyone was sitting, what they were wearing, I can copy the expressions on their faces and I can hear every. single. hateful. word.

The other girl, I'm guessing, did better than I - from what I gather from the email chain, she actually participated happily in our class reunion, while I never returned the reply envelope and barely could look at the names on the email list (I spent three or four days crying just because reading those names threw me instantly back to that time.)

I wish somebody had helped me back then.