Dreading, dreading home schooling again this year.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ChefSugar22
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2012, 3:13 pm

Hi, My name is Sugar and I have been home schooling my son in Grade 7 and 8. Summer will soon be over and I am looking at home schooling again due to the overwhelming issues in our lives.

My husband lost his job in January 2012 and we are in a city we don't like. We only moved here in May 2011 when he was FINALLY offered a job after 10 months unemployment.

So in 2 years, we have had this horrible problem of unemployment hanging over us 2 times.

Home schooling my son was hard the first year because we got flack from the relatives we were living with during unemployment stint #1. Then my husband got this job and we moved away and got our own apartment. But like I said, he lost the job in January and he decided all the focus of life had to be on him and our son's schooling was secondary. (I refused to listen and kept up with lessons as best I could with him interrupting and criticizing.

Now summer is nearly over and we are facing it all over again. No job(s), no money, no clear idea where we will be living or if we can afford to stay ANYWHERE when the money runs out.

I feel like I am a bobbling cork. :(

I'm a certified teacher--so the problem is not "the work" as much as having constant interruptions, my husband feeling left out, just being a pain when I need quiet or to use the computer.

I also really cannot hack teaching math or science anymore. These are my weak subjects.

I'm just feeling very down because of life and the prospect of home schooling AGAIN with all these issues makes me want to run and hide.

Thanks for listening.

I can't express this to anyone else (my husband is hyper sensitive when I try to explain I need QUIET and for him to LEAVE US ALONE during the day to teach).

MMJMOM
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 4:12 pm

I am so sorry, this sounds so difficlut. Can you find local homeschool groups, and join up for som support and interaction for both yourself and your child?

I hoomeschool as well, and if not for the groups, I am sure it woud be much harder, as NO ONE in my family has homeschooled or understands homeschooling.

I cant talk to anyone about the issues or anything related to homeschooling that isnt all roses, casue if I do then I hear immediately, "Send him to school". Sometimes we need to vent or get support and we arent looking to send our kid to school.

Anyhow, I give you la lot of credit for homeschooling thru all the issues you are facing. If there is any way I can help you find local support let me know!

M-, who would be 6 1/2, my forever angel baby
E- 1 year old!! !

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 7:09 pm

Wow, that does sound like a tough situation. :(

MMJMOM's suggestion about homeschool groups is a very good one. Don't know what area you are in, but having been stationed in several parts of US, we always could find them.

For difficult subjects one possibility is Video/CD courses. You might be able to get some from other homeschoolers if you network. Borrow, or even given free. Older curriculums don't retain much value and in basic subjects are still perfectly good. Another is to pool talents with other homeschool teachers and do co-ops. One parent teach's math another biology etc, and kids go to different houses, etc. This also has social benefit for kids and can get you out of house. Do more teaching field trips, alone or with other homeschoolers (same benefits).

What math and science are you looking for specifically ? I sold most of ours on Ebay recently but still have a few I didn't get to. Like Dive math CD's and some other things. My wife had identical problem with those subjects.

Hang in there! Now that daughter is in colledge and son in military she is able to teach special ed and loves being back in the work force.

Sorry us men are such a pain in the necks sometimes. :oops: Can you set up special school room btw ?