Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ConfusedNewb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2012, 2:29 pm

Hi all, I have just bought my daughter one of these pendants as she likes to chew things and loves necklaces! They are chewable jewellery originally made for Mums of teething babies but also popular with autistic children! Suitable for boys, girls and Mums!

Chewigem

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 2:34 pm

You, know, I was just looking at those today, in one of my catalogs. I really wish they had some cool looking chewies for boys. Our son has been getting his perm teeth in and chewing his shirts like crazy this summer. When school and the associated stress hits, I have no clue how bad this will get. Last year we had problems like that at school, just from the stress. Now we have teething, too! I will have to let the teacher know ASAP to get the OT to give him a chewie for school, like last year. he stopped using it about 3/4 of the school year through so they stopped giving it to him, and so it is not specifically in his IEP.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 2:44 pm

We got our son one of these http://www.nationalautismresources.com/chewlery.html
but for boys another good option is to put a piece of surgical tubing on the end of their pencil (this would work for girls too obviously just a different option that wouldn't look like jewelry).

ConfusedNewb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2012, 3:09 pm

They have dog tag style chewigems for boys in grey an blue colours :)
My little girl has ground her teeth down to jagged stumps, really want her to stop when she gets her permanent teeth!! Shes due to start school in September too so Im expecting more anxiety to hit. Hoping this will be fun for her and might be a new habit.

I have also seen chewy tubes to attach to hoody strings and lots more boyish ones on gumigem.co.uk

questor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 5:07 pm

Sounds like dog toys, :lol: but I think it's a good idea. It'll keep kids from wrecking their teeth, and also help relieve stress. It also gets the parents to stop trying to stop the kids from chewing. If left alone, most kids will eventually stop on their own, but the stress of being scolded for it only gets them to feel a need to chew more. So I say, go with the chewies. :D

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 9:17 pm

My daughter is always putting things in her mouth, would this help? Do they ship to the usa? Id feel a little weird getting it for her...

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 11:20 pm

it seems like a good idea, growing up I used to chew the collars of my shirts all the time.

ConfusedNewb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2012, 3:38 am

There maybe a US site that does similar products? Try googling chewable jewellery, I think a company called Chewelry does the same thing. Theres bangles too, they just look like normal kids jewellery, you may not even need to tell her what its for, she might find it too tempting not to chew it anyway!

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 5:20 am

This is probably a really stupid question, Bombaloo, but do I need any specific type of surgical tubing for this? I don't know anything about purchasing it. I am sure it is safer than the dyes and junk in clothing, but are there any other considerations. We don't have any latex allergies or anything. Are there different diameters etc.? I don't want to get the wrong thing, if we decide to go that route.