Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 10:53 pm

Figuring out the right thing to do as a parent can be tough. It involves a little heart and a little brain. But, mostly, its your gut instinct. Gather all the information (very important step), and then follow your instinct. At some point, heart and brain must align; when they don't, you don't have the right answer yet, some piece is still missing. Having the right answer doesn't mean you won't worry and move forward on a wing and prayer, but your heart and your brain should stop fighting when you've made the best possible decision you can.

We've been lucky. We're in a good school district, and I click with the professionals we have to deal with. But even in this generally great school district, not every parent has had great results: so much is individual, how things line up on their little checklists, and how hard they decide to fight for you when the many gray areas get ventured into.

When you see someone going the extra mile for your child, and invested in your family, RUN WITH IT.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 8:45 am

Another fight with my husband.

"You stop that kid from getting bullied on the bus." "You teach that kid that he needs to shut his mouth." "You do something about it." "There is nothing wrong with him." "What is wrong with that child??"

How much am I supposed to be able to fix, and how am I supposed to do it without giving anyone any information that might be taken in a negative way or asking anyone for help, ever????

My head hurts. I feel like crying. I would never wish I hadn't had these kids, but right now I'm wondering what the hell made me think I could do it. Surely a neurotypical mother would have it all under control; of course, if I were NT, we wouldn't have half these problems.

I'm being half-sarcastic.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 8:50 am

Our school, in their infinite wisdom, sent us to a family therapist back when they were avoiding the real issue of my son's AS. This did nothing to improve my son's needs, of course, but it did give us time to sort out the issues you are bringing up now. You are right, we primary caregivers are frequently between a rock and a hard place and it sucks.

Sometimes, having a neutral third party help point that out makes your home life a little easier if it is within the realm of possibility.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 10:20 am

Already got one. Every few weeks I drag the whole dang family to see my therapist. The kids like her and are about due to go-- I need to remember that and schedule the next appointment for a Saturday.

Hubby is on his best behavior when we're in there. It's an entirely different kettle of fish.

I understand his fear of labeling the kid-- nobody understands that better than I do. I'm the one who's lived through it (though I'm sure watching me shrivel up and almost die was very stressful for him, and that probably has a lot to do with his resistance).

It's-- therapy is a bad thing. It's for people who "have something wrong with them." There is "nothing wrong with his kid, nothing wrong with his wife, nothing wrong with his family."

And-- there is nothing wrong. There's nothing actually wrong. We're perfectly fine NaTs. Really lovely specimens of Homo sapiens aspergensis. But we are at variance with the majority, and we do need to learn strategies to cope with that in a world that is made by the majority for the majority where we are going to be judged against the majority.

It's good to know I'm not the only one.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 10:43 am

Yup, totally with you. Fortunately, in my case, DH wasn't really struggling as much with the label issue and is more than likely also on the spectrum, so we kind of embraced the idea as a family. .

Doesn't mean that we don't still have those moments where we are all at loggerheads, and all of us having that autistic rigidity bulldogged single-mindedness can be a very, very serious issue.

Fortunately, the same thing is an incredible asset once we are all pointed in the same direction, so I've learned that my role is trying to get everybody pointed in the same direction somehow. Sounds a lot easier than it is, especially since I tend to frame things in I'm right/you're wrong just like everybody else in my family.

My experience in my community has been that AS carries less of a stigma than other neurological issues, or other ways of describing kids on the spectrum - it isn't fair, but it is what it is, and at this point we'll take any advantage we can get as long as we don't step on anybody else while we're doing it.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 11:32 am

momsparky wrote:
Yup, totally with you. Fortunately, in my case, DH wasn't really struggling as much with the label issue and is more than likely also on the spectrum, so we kind of embraced the idea as a family. .

Doesn't mean that we don't still have those moments where we are all at loggerheads, and all of us having that autistic rigidity bulldogged single-mindedness can be a very, very serious issue.

Fortunately, the same thing is an incredible asset once we are all pointed in the same direction, so I've learned that my role is trying to get everybody pointed in the same direction somehow. Sounds a lot easier than it is, especially since I tend to frame things in I'm right/you're wrong just like everybody else in my family.

My experience in my community has been that AS carries less of a stigma than other neurological issues, or other ways of describing kids on the spectrum - it isn't fair, but it is what it is, and at this point we'll take any advantage we can get as long as we don't step on anybody else while we're doing it.

Yes, I guess I can be a loggerhead as well. I try not to be. The Socratic method helps me with that.