Police want to talk to my son..

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MCallahan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2013, 4:05 pm

I don't even know where to start. My son is not yet "officially" diagnosed, but we are working on it. We are also in the process of getting an IEP for school. But here's the problem.. without getting into the why part, my son has been requested for an interview with the juvenile officer and a police officer regarding some allegations. I know that I'm allowed to be in the room with them, but I want someone there that knows about Asperger's and can protect him from himself. I'm scared to death that they will effectively bully him into admitting to something that he didn't do - he will admit to anything if he thinks that he will be left alone. My son will be 13 in less than two weeks, in Missouri that means he can be charged as an adult.s. But I don't know even where to start or who to call or anything. I live in Lafayette County Missouri if that helps.

Help? Suggestions?

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 4:11 pm

Get a lawyer, and/or call the ACLU

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 4:29 pm

You live in the US, don't tell me you can't get a decent lawyer, I see stupid ads on cable up here every two minutes on TV :roll: Or are they all too busy defending the latest female murderer that's on CNN 24/7 because the American Justice system is sexist and convinced women can't be cold-blooded killers and therefore punishes these evil women much less severely??? :x But I digress, good luck and all that, assuming your son is innocent for whatever he's accused of, of course.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 8:28 pm

Don't allow the police to ask him anything without a lawyer present.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 10:34 pm

I will third or fourth the suggestion for him to get a lawyer. You could get an autism advocate, but they won't help you with the law.

DannyRaede
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Mar 2013, 6:13 pm

Here's what I would suggest your son do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 8:26 pm

Not only should a lawyer be present, but an ASD advocate too. Of course, the fact that he is not diagnosed is going to be a bigger problem.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 11:14 pm

Get a lawyer. Especially in today's climate. Pref a lawyer who's experienced with ASD.

I doubt you'd get permission to have an autism advocate, especially because he's not diagnosed, but I would def consult a lawyer first.