aann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2013, 2:07 pm

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 3:56 pm

I was watching a Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, episode last night, that didn't address autism specifically, but that talked about the fact that a lot of things get transmitted through the placenta in both directions that they had previously thought.[u] They were also discussing how the child could have something, pass it to the mother and then the mother could transmit it to the next child.

I am going to have to watch that again, more closely, when my son isn't there talking about special interests. I could see where that might be germain to this discussion.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 4:56 pm

I'd say it's a good start.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 6:33 pm

Very mixed feelings.

BornThisWay
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jul 2013, 2:00 pm

A mother's antibodies affecting the neural development of a child makes sense, but I'm a bit confused as to this concept on the Morgan Freeman show. I dont watch TV, so I never saw the program...

The placental barrier can protect a child from certain infections and all, but how could the child 'give' the mother something that comes from outside the womb? The only thing the child can have different from the mother is a portion of his or her genetic information - because half of it comes from the father. That said, the classic is the set up of fetal rejection syndrome by an rH negative mother of an rH positive fetus. This comes from the creation of antibodies in the mom after exposure to the first rH+ child's blood - that child is not rejected, but later rH+ ones are. However, I thought the exposure only happened during the birth process. Nowadays, there are shots given to the mom right after birth to prevent this antibody formation. Is this tv show based on reality, or some sort of sci-fi thing?

Last edited by BornThisWay on 16 Jul 2013, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 2:27 pm

BornThisWay wrote:
I thought the exposure only happened during the birth process. Nowadays, there are shots given to the mom right after birth to prevent this antibody formation.

I was doing a little research about rh, just recently. The shots you mentioned are said to be a waste of time because the exposure can happen ANY time during pregnancy. Read this article:

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/ ... ofit-ploy/

I'm not sure how accurate this information is but I found it to be interesting and falls more under my own personal philosophy.