Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

saimand
Raven
Raven

20 Dec 2013, 6:11 pm

*I just couldn't decide in which section to put this topic-so Im sorry If i mistaken*

Croatian team started to work on social stories and video games for kids with ASD-now I came up with an idea of making visual stories for kids with ASD and/or intellectual disabilities regarding science (I've noticed that kids on spectrum who are LFA and kids with moderate - severe intellectual disabilities simply dont get any chance to learn on any way about the 'world surrounding them' such as biology, physics geography etc)...
I've worked with talented NT kids and talented ASD kids (HFA or Aspergers) on such workshops but I'd like to try to bring these knowledges to kids with more severe disabilities...does this seem like totally stupid or wrong idea?
Ofc we wouldnt taught them quantum physics or gene translation but keep it simple- earth is giant ball we all live on (to put it as simple a it occurred to me), there are many species on it, we are humans, there are rivers mountains etc, if you drop this it falls but here we have vacuum see what happens...ofc kids who have ability of categorizing and other premarkers for successful achieving of knowledge...
and important information is that kids with severe disabilities here do go to school but they are usually taught only of communication self care etc, so they do not attend any classes with subjects such as -language,maths,history,science etc cuz its not in program , or even if they do it is usually concerned only of teaching alphabet or such things, counting to 10,20 or so.................if you think teaching them we live on Earth is stupid-we just made first social story in Croatia (we re kinda 50 of years behind developed countries)
so I d like to try to make it simple and effective...very concrete and 'touchable' -my action-its reaction and that is called xyz..

any comments or ideas? id really appreciate it..tnx
and sorry for my bad English

zette
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 7:15 pm

Don't dumb it down too much. Many non-verbal autistic kids take in everything and are actually quite intelligent, there is just something blocking their ability to communicate and display their understanding. They might get frustrated if everything is too simple, and enjoy if more if their intelligence is respected. Read the book Carly's Voice for one example.

saimand
Raven
Raven

21 Dec 2013, 4:43 am

thanks for your answer, will read the book ;) ...we will also include kids with severe intellectual disabilities so we have to keep it simple for them (small groups etc)...I didnt say LFA kids are dumb but they dont get the chance to receive such knowledge in their education because of programs they follow...we'll start with sth simple than progress...I was thinking idea of scientific workshos for kids with severe/multiple disabilities is stupid since well, most of them over here dont even get rehab :/ we will try (full project starts in march/april) and let you know (implement materials in English and everything)...thanks for the advice and wish you all the best!