Some Good News; and just how unpredictable everything ASD is

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 6:37 pm

In May, we ran into a very frustrating hurdle for my disgraphic son (the other disgraphic thread reminded me of it): we hadn't thought to get a typing accommodation for his AP composition test (we got one for the SAT, but it wasn't in time for the AP). Meaning, he was going to have to hand write the test, when he NEVER hand writes. When he does, it is a mess of skipped words, illegibility, and spelling errors.

Needless to say, there didn't seem much point in his proceeding with the test, but since he had been in the AP composition class all year, he decided to just do it.

The poor kid's arm hurt for more than a week.

He was absolutely sure he had tanked the test, and was only hoping not to be too strongly embarrassed. He was hoping to have scored a 2 (out of 5); he felt that was the best he could hope for.

We got an email that his score was in. He nervously opened the link, not expecting much.

And then showed the score to me with a look of astonishment on his face.

He got a 4.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 6:41 pm

good for him!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 6:50 pm

That means he gets college credit, right?

Congratulations!

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 7:11 pm

That's great! :D

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

aann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2014, 8:15 pm

Wow, I'm thrilled for you both!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 8:23 pm

That's great news! His self confidence must be soaring.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 8:31 pm

Awesome!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 11:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That means he gets college credit, right?

Congratulations!

That it does!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 11:06 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
That's great news! His self confidence must be soaring.

He actually seems confused more than anything; he desperately looked for some kind of break down, hoping he could figure out which essay they must have liked. Happy but baffled. He likes to understand things, and this he hasn't figured out yet lol.

But, he knows it will help on his college applications next fall, offsetting some of the weak grades he had last semester. I do think it has renewed hope in him that he has a shot at getting into the college he wants.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 9:28 am

Yep....and he has college credit!

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2014, 5:18 pm

For those who aren't familiar with the AP system, a 3 is "passing," and enough for college credits. A 4 great. A 5 is AMAZING.

I got a 4 on that same test, and it was a high enough score to let me skip one of the two years of writing classes that the University of California requires. :)

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 6:46 pm

Does his AP teacher know about his dysgraphia?

Maybe she just decided to look past his spelling & handwriting and such and focus on the actual content of his work. (Which is what they should be doing anyway, but few teachers actually do).

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 7:04 pm

Ettina wrote:
Does his AP teacher know about his dysgraphia?

Maybe she just decided to look past his spelling & handwriting and such and focus on the actual content of his work. (Which is what they should be doing anyway, but few teachers actually do).

The AP teacher (a male, btw) isn't the one grading the actual AP test, just all the practice ones (which he was allowed to type, and usually got a 3 on). The test itself is graded on a national level, I believe, for consistency.

They are supposed to ignore handwriting and maybe even spelling but usually the process of having to handwrite frustrates my son so much that everything goes haywire. He was really determined that day, however, to get through it.

findingaplace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2014, 8:17 pm

How great! So nice to hear wonderful news like this. Congratulations! :)

Odetta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jul 2014, 12:52 pm

That's awesome news!

Stormymomma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jul 2014, 11:24 pm

That's awesome! :)