Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Statto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Oct 2014, 12:01 pm

Well my daughter had her ASD assessment today and rather than go back for a follow up was given a "clear ASD" diagnosis on the spot, which was superb. There was little doubt in our minds but getting rid of the uncertainty already seems to have boosted my daughter. They confirmed she would previously have been diagnosed with Aspergers, which helps her understand as that is her brothers diagnosis. So happy we have a conclusion on this. :lol:

It was mentioned though that she described behaviour that is called disassociation and that it is a significant finding. Before I run off and get a Google degree on the subject, does anyone here have experience of this?

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 3:09 pm

Not much experience (had an acquaintance many years ago who was a survivor of horrific childhood abuse and had multiple personalities, but can't say I learned much).

I would guess that, in the case of an Aspie kid, disassociation would be either an attempt to shield oneself from the sensory and social assault that is LIFE, or else it would be an attempt to distance oneself from the "freak" that is oneself.

I used to do that as a tween. Created an alter-ego who was everything I thought I ought to be (polite, emotionless, a perfect if silent student, neat as a pin), and then stepped into "her" persona every time I needed to beat "me" up for making a mistaket per (ie falling out of that persona in public). Combination merciless judge and ruthless protector. Her name was Jill, because it's derived from the Gaelic word for "girl," and she was and would make me a perfect girl.

Dunno if that's anything similar, or if it helps. What that is disassociative is going on?

Statto

01 Oct 2014, 5:25 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
Not much experience (had an acquaintance many years ago who was a survivor of horrific childhood abuse and had multiple personalities, but can't say I learned much).

I would guess that, in the case of an Aspie kid, disassociation would be either an attempt to shield oneself from the sensory and social assault that is LIFE, or else it would be an attempt to distance oneself from the "freak" that is oneself.

I used to do that as a tween. Created an alter-ego who was everything I thought I ought to be (polite, emotionless, a perfect if silent student, neat as a pin), and then stepped into "her" persona every time I needed to beat "me" up for making a mistaket per (ie falling out of that persona in public). Combination merciless judge and ruthless protector. Her name was Jill, because it's derived from the Gaelic word for "girl," and she was and would make me a perfect girl.

Dunno if that's anything similar, or if it helps. What that is disassociative is going on?

They didn't really go into it and are going to pass the information along to the psychologist, who would be more appropriate to manage it. However, I got the impression it was more along the shielding herself line of things you mentioned, as opposed to it being on the more severe end of the scale.

Aleithei
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Oct 2014, 1:24 am

I dissociate too. (well, i derealize, which is a type of dissociation) I have since i was pretty young. It mostly happens when i get overstimulated. I was trying to make it stop, but then realized that when I dont do it and I am overstimulated, my anxiety goes way up and i am more likely to melt down. So i stopped trying to stop it. And sometimes its kinda fun. although my shrink thought that was a little strange. :D apparently it usually freaks people out when it happens to them. But there is a good chance that if you work on the dissociation, and it happens less, another coping mechanism is going to have to replace it. Not to say that working on it is bad, but maybe focusing on what is causing it, rather that the thing itself.