Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 9:02 am

My son who is 15 took a standardized test on Algebra 1 this past spring and finally got his 2-part results. He scored just basic - a 1451 within a 1439 to 1500 range for the part called Operations and Linear Equations/Inequalities. His other was advanced - a score of 1550 within a 1546 and 1800 for the part called Linear Functions and Data Organization. Can anyone see a pattern of learning here? He was disappointed with his results on part one but was happy to pass this test as a whole. A student has to perform proficient to pass. The scoring is 1200 to 1438 which is below basic; 1439 to 1499 is basic; 1500 to 1555 is proficient; and 1546 to 1800 is advanced.
Does anyone know how each part may be different and why he might score basic on one and advanced on the other? I'm asking because I'd like to start funding those things that he's good at and the careers that require those skills he actually has an upper hand on. Thanks :)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 1:25 am

Perhaps he messed up some inequalities problems to score lower on that section?
Perhaps he had some trouble solving systems of equations?
I am only guessing, as these are some areas that algebra students more often have trouble with.
It is hard to tell from one algebra test much of a pattern about what he is good at.
You probably need to look at how he does in all subjects and what he does for interests outside of school to see if there is any pattern in his way of thinking, what he is good at, future directions of study, etc.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 10:56 am

Algebra really is abstract--its own mathematical language, really.

It's applicable to engineering.

It's partially applicable to life.